News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My NEW MOPAR....well kinda?

Started by chgr500, February 24, 2007, 07:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chgr500

Just picked this one up today.....never owned an AMC in my life.....'69 Javelin....just gonna be a flipper or part out....I was attracted to the '70 AMX hood and the rear '70 Mark Donahue deck lid spoiler...one of 2500 made for trans am racing in 1970..but modified to fit this '69...re chromed front and rear bumpers..AMX grill, in nice shape...stainless trim is pretty good.....Vector wheels ???....6 banger with 3 spd Hurst floor shifter..lol....daily driver for this fellow for 27 years.....several different paint jobs....I guess it's a AMX clone?...$1000 cdn...plus I filled about 1/2 my pickup box with extra parts.....can't let the Charger see it....she's under a cover

chgr500

note the parking violation on the window......gotta sell NOW!!!   lol

chgr500

couple more

NYCMille

Totally diggin' it man... I love those cars!

The70RT

1000 cdn? Looks awsome. A guy in town here has a blown one with a sm blk chebby.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chgr500

Quote from: The70RT on February 24, 2007, 07:25:39 PM
1000 cdn?
Did I get burned?.......I know notta on AMC....Do you think this is an Ebay type car to sell?....I was thinking of trying it on there first or part it out...plenty of rust on quarters

The70RT

If you paid a grand you got a deal i think.....I would have bought it as long as the under carrage wasn't  too bad. It will make someone a good project if nothin else an exellent parts car for their AMX. eBay oh hell yeah i bet you at least double your money....if not more.

Magnumcharger

I might be wrong, but wasn't the Mark Donahue spoiler supposed to be on the back of the roof? I've got a picture of one like that.
The rear spoiler on your car looks an awful lot like the 1973-74 AMX spoiler.....
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

chgr500

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 24, 2007, 07:52:54 PM
I might be wrong, but wasn't the Mark Donahue spoiler supposed to be on the back of the roof? I've got a picture of one like that.
The rear spoiler on your car looks an awful lot like the 1973-74 AMX spoiler.....
'68-70 Javelins are similar body and parts interchange...big body change for '71 with the overextended wheel wells..lol......these cars were also used with the Donahue package...but started in '70 when he joined AMC racing for trans am...so this spoiler is for the first gen body style? Javelin...very similar look to the spolier on the newer body styles...and would have the Donahue signature on the right rear of the spoiler....AMX  usually had the spoilers from '71 on with the go pack.....plenty to learn on this one....maybe I need an AMC forum

Magnumcharger

This is the one I was thinking about: first picture....
Then I had to go and find the one in the second shot, just to muddify my original pre-conceived notions!
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

kab69440

For 1k CDN, you got a screaming deal on that. I'd keep it.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

mikepmcs

Are you bull shi@#$ Me.!!!!!
That's the deal of the week/century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Goldfinger71

Let's see............Deal or no deal?............Deal! :yesnod:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

BMOTOXSTAR

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

GTX

Manfred318

Awsome car :2thumbs: I've always wanted one of those :yesnod:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

cheap

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:I would keep it.... That was a great buy.....Investment....

BATMAN

Quote from: chgr500 on February 24, 2007, 07:34:33 PM
Quote from: The70RT on February 24, 2007, 07:25:39 PM
1000 cdn?
Did I get burned?.......I know notta on AMC....Do you think this is an Ebay type car to sell?....I was thinking of trying it on there first or part it out...plenty of rust on quarters

How could you part that out????? That has some potential.  You could probably ebay it, but it would be cooler to take out the 6 banger and put a 340 in it, then put some mopar stripes on it.

chgr500

Still can't find nothing on this hood.....most 70 AMX's seem to sport a ram air hood.....fella told me it was off a '70 AMX

Javelin trivia.....

1973 AMC Javelin AMX Pierre Cardin editionThe AMC Javelin was a "pony car" built by the American Motors Corporation between 1968 and 1974. It was intended to rival other similar cars of the era such as the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro.

1968-1970
When AMC debuted the Javelin in 1968, the full production version of one of the AMX prototypes that was shown around the USA during the 1966 AMX project tour, it was available with a variety of AMC engines from an economical 232 in³ straight-6 through three V8s, including (with the optional "Go Package") a 4-barrel carbureted 343 in³ V8. That package also included power front disc brakes, dual exhausts, and wide tires. The SST trim level gave a greater degree of luxury. In 1969 the AMX 390 engine was offered as a Javelin option. A "Big Bad" paint (brilliant blue, orange and green) option (eg: "Big bad Javelin") included a curious roof spoiler for the Javelin, but not the AMX. AMC supported the AMX and Javelins with a full range of "Group 19" dealer installed performance accessories which included a dual four barrel cross ram intake manifold, high performance camshaft kit, needle bearing roller rocker arms, dual point ignition and even a rear disc brake kit. Rear seat shoulder belts were also a dealer installed accessory.

Road & Track compared the Javelin favorably to its competitors on its introduction in 1968. They felt that the lack of a "big, heavy, super-powerful engine" was an asset in such a small vehicle, and called the styling "pleasant". The non-power steering in the "quick-steering" option received poor marks, however, as did the disc/drum brakes. Many journalists also complained about AMC's safety-style interior saying it was dull or bland.

A two-seat, shortened version of the first Javelin model was produced for the same years; the AMC AMX.

Engines
232 in³ AMC I6, 145/155 hp (gross)
290 in³ AMC V8, 225 hp (gross)
343 in³ AMC V8, 280 hp (gross)
390 in³ AMC V8, 315/325 hp (gross)

1971-1974
The Javelin was restyled in 1971 to incorporate various elements that had been desired modifications to the earlier Javelins for racing in the Trans-Am circuits. A roof spoiler became integral. The fender bulges racers made to accept wide racing tires was adapted, but the way AMC stylists arched the fenders over the wheelwells begged for criticism from the media; "... like the Corvette, but less graceful..." A wide range of engines and transmissions were offered from an economical 232 I6 to the potent 4-barrel 401 AMC V8, that featured high compression, forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods dynamically engineered for 8000 rpm. The interior was made non-symmetrical where nearly every component is unique to its position, as opposed to the Hornet (Cavalier prototype in 1966) which was a study in symmetry. The Pierre Cardin interior employed a very imaginative stripe pattern that ran from the seats up the doors onto the roof and back down to the other seats again, using a tough, but satinlike, unusual fabric on the seat faces. Starting in 1971, the AMX idea evolved into a performance option for the Javelin. The Javelin AMX incorporated a full host of racing modifications learned on the track into a street version AMC advertised as "The closest thing you can buy to a Trans-Am champion" Javelin AMXs' came with a racer type stainless steel mesh screen to cover the grille opening, a fiberglass full width cowl induction hood, and front and rear spoilers to increase traction at high speed. These Javelins competed successfully in Trans-Am racing in a Penske/Donohue team. The Javelin won the Trans-Am title in 1971, 1972 and 1973.

also..........http://www.homestead.com/donohueregistry/

Brock Samson

Score!  :yesnod:

those cars are underappreciated... good goin! i'd have jumped on it too..

HITMAN 149

SWEET DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i always liked those!!! i remember some guy near me growing up had one (don't remember what year???) but it had a 390 in it!!! sounded sweet and fast!!... he did burnouts w/ it all the time near the house!!!.. i used to see black lines all over the place while walking  to school!!! :drive:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Ghoste

The hood on your car is an AMX hood, but it's the standard one for 1969.
Great score.

sad72

Great deal. Keep it, drop in a 360 crate put in a 4 speed and you have a nice little screamer. :Twocents:
1969 dodge dart swinger 340 eight barrel  
1973 plymouth duster                                2004 dodge ram 1500 2 door 5.7 HEMI

chgr500

Well I washed the car today...pumped up the tires...... and took a little closer look at it..the first pictures posted were before I got it home......
The car is in O.K. condition for the $$....the current paint job is about 12 years old and the bondo is showing in alot of places...The rear floors have been replaced or repaired....looks good...the trunk is fine with some trunk extension rust...the whole for the shifter is hacked open....tops of shock towers are showing corrosion...needing attention......front fenders look pretty good as does the whole front clip.....doors have a poor fit and worn hinges...but no rust showing through...6 banger exhaust manifold ear is broken off on one side....starts good and runs fine.....ticky thing......rear pan is very nice as are the re chromed bumpers and trim....interior is there,  but marginal...will require some work and no headliner....frame rails look good from what I could see....some inner wheel well corrosion

So I think I am going to try to eBay this car off shortly......this how I raise funds for the Charger...ie..buy / sell trade parts to fund my Charger
I have never tried selling a complete car on eBay...always been just parts..mostly Mopar......but figure it's time to learn......with this car...I like the car with it's size in comparison to my monster...but the Charger is like family and I have No room or time for another project.  It would be pretty cool with a MOPAR SB H/P 4 SPD.....go like stink!...still a reasonable car to work with....

I am looking for your comments and what you think I should set a reserve at.....and thanks for your input....not much similar to compare with...especially with the mods...the hood is mint..and fairly special '70 rear spoiler....looks a like alot of good parts on this car...almost a shame to part it out...but those AMX parts???...AMC guy's can be a lot like Mopar guy's when it comes to parts they want for their cars.

'86 Daytona bucket seats...Grant wheel

chgr500

6 banger...not numbers match..upgraded to 250 CU...rust on top of shock towers.......but eveything else is clean......braided hoses and chrome......Wahooo!....firewall and frame rails look good.....no rust

chgr500

Rear sail panel...and bondo chunked off and peeling......he claims the decal on the rear window was there before the merger!!!!....I will peel it partially off..lol

chgr500

1/4 panels...right lower wavy......left side waaaay  wavy over wheel well and lower....who knows what lies beyond the bondo...inner wheels need work...but patchable...14" Vector? style wheels...r/f parking curb rashed...the others are good.

chgr500

No Room and NO time....my driveway which is very fun....What should reserve be set at?

Easy to do some HPLAG pics with this car... :yesnod:... :icon_smile_evil:... :no:... :angel:....a good 10 footer with some mood lighting lol....note the Charger is being swarmed by stuff...home reno's too!...lucky me...no Charger time once again

mikepmcs

Set it high up there the first time you list it just to see what the market will bring.  If the highest bid is your comfort zone for sale then offer the high bidder the second chance offer or relist it with that $$ as your reserve. If all that makes sense.
Good luck

Remember, it's all about the description and the pictures.  I would definitley use a lot of what you wrote here and the pics you took in the listing.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

The70RT

I agree with mikepmcs. Im not sure how you feel or what you need on it. If it was me I would start it out at 1000 and put a 2000 reserve on it. Hey if you make about a grand cool. I would think it would go for that. You could always contact the highest bidder if not. You know eBay - You never know. That's just my  :Twocents:

68chrgrwife

hey i'd buy it right now..but hubby says no
MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

SeattleCharger

Cool car,  all your first pics the car looks great shape, the later pics with the close up and lighting, ya, a lot more revealing,      a strategy might be to put the first pics you took on your ad, and "describe" that the body upon closer inspection" has some flaws, but overall the car is pretty straight and the problems are fixable or drive it the way it is, something like that, maybe not quite so candy coated, but so that way the first impressions of the car are seeing it as how it could be, seeing the potential of it, in the buyer's eyes, then once they like the car and want it, it will be easier for them to see the flaws when you email them more pics and they might be willing to deal with that, because their first impressions of the car are good.    If they see those up close pics first they might just skip over the ad before they get the idea of liking the car sunk into their head a little, that it is overall good looking,  if any of this helps, good luck.

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

HITMAN 149

charger dog.... are you by any way a car salesman?!?!?!?  :icon_smile_cool:
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

SeattleCharger

Quote from: HITMAN 149 on February 27, 2007, 02:13:43 PM

haha, thank you I guess, sort of I am in a way, as a hobby,  but a major rule I have is:  disclose all, karma is important, all the honesty you can give has unseen rewards, oh ya, and only hand over title and keys when all cash is in hand basically, no checks or pay you this or that later, no matter how nice they are, saves potential problems later even when all parties have good intentions, nothing personal

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

HITMAN 149

right on!!!!! well said!!! CA$H in hand!!!!!!
01 BMW 740i SPORT  

chgr500

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on February 27, 2007, 01:44:43 PM

Cool car,  all your first pics the car looks great shape, the later pics with the close up and lighting, ya, a lot more revealing,      a strategy might be to put the first pics you took on your ad, and "describe" that the body upon closer inspection" has some flaws, but overall the car is pretty straight and the problems are fixable or drive it the way it is, something like that, maybe not quite so candy coated, but so that way the first impressions of the car are seeing it as how it could be, seeing the potential of it, in the buyer's eyes, then once they like the car and want it, it will be easier for them to see the flaws when you email them more pics and they might be willing to deal with that, because their first impressions of the car are good.    If they see those up close pics first they might just skip over the ad before they get the idea of liking the car sunk into their head a little, that it is overall good looking,  if any of this helps, good luck.

The first pics I posted were the 10 footers HPLAG type pictures to see what reaction I could get.....Then BAM the real problem concerns on the car.  To me these concerns are repairable...as we have all seen a lot worse cars restored here on the forum and the car does have a lot of nice parts on it to offer....If this were a real Mopar I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.......but it's an AMC....seems a lot of these Javelins have been used as parts cars to restore AMX's...same car from the doors forward. 
I will shoot more pictures as it looks better washed than the first posting...and will lightly describe the concerns with more pictures upon request.  Clean the interior up some and maybe scour a little rust staining from the shock towers...they are not that bad....but I'm not really not sure as to how badly these cars usually rust out.....Starting to wonder what I've gotten into with my AMC...I've likely owned over 100 vehicles in my time...most all domestic.....but first AMC...floors, frame rails and trunk look decent...too bad these cars don't seem to have the value as similar muscle type cars of the era.

Quote from: SeattleChargerDog on February 27, 2007, 02:25:10 PM
Quote from: HITMAN 149 on February 27, 2007, 02:13:43 PM

haha, thank you I guess, sort of I am in a way, as a hobby, but a major rule I have is: disclose all, karma is important, all the honesty you can give has unseen rewards, oh ya, and only hand over title and keys when all cash is in hand basically, no checks or pay you this or that later, no matter how nice they are, saves potential problems later even when all parties have good intentions, nothing personal

Karma....I am the KARMA KING.....scares the hell outa me......I always think of what bad thing will happen if I am dishonest.....I know a little weird...but what it is.
I once sold an eBay item and the buyer sent me a money order in the full amount and out drops a crisp 100 dollar U.S. bill....huh!!!!...I emailed him and asked what the additional funds he sent were for.......He was clueless so I told him to expect the letter delivery from me and sent him back the money........When he had received the money back he wasn't sure exactly what had happened to the money at the time and like myself figured it had stuck to the money order in his wallet.  He told me was going to use this as a learning tool for his son that there are some honest people out there. At least I affected two lives...but what didn't happen to me?.......shortly after I got a call about a Duster I had been after for two years..through a work associate and a friend of friend he had described it to me and I offered him upwards of $1000 sight unseen.....two years later my now ex work associate phones and asks if I still want the Duster......but it needs to be removed today....for FREE!

Evidently some one was trying to remove the engine for the previous 14 hours...before I got my phone call....pulling the motor with a rope with the tranny attached....exhaust manifolds were unbolted with the exhaust pipes still attached...he had it jammed up against the firewall real tight.....lucky me he couldn't get it out  340 4 spd......he broke all the ears off the r/s 1970 H/P manifold taking it off..$$$$$

68chrgrwife

MOPAR OR NO CAR BABY!
LOVING MY HUBBY: CHARGERMAN68
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER: SOLD :(
1968 DODGE CHARGER RT CLONE (OK, SO IT'S HUBBY'S BUT IT'S MINE TOO, RIGHT?)
2008 DODGE CHARGER
2005 DODGE MAGNUM R/T (YES IT'S GOTTA HEMI)!

Brock Samson