News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERBIRD WING

Started by dkn1997, February 22, 2007, 03:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I don't know if it's for sale anywhere else, but I spotted this in the local special interest paper.

MOPAR SUPER BIRD WING,
original metal wing from 1970, in perfect cond, almost impossible to find, $5000. (631) 395-3148. Mastic, NY

It probably belongs in classified, but it is wingcar specific. 
RECHRGED

daytonalo

sounds like he really doesn't want to sell it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotrod98

Speaking of Superbird wings. I just measured the distance from center to center on the base of my steel Superbird wing and the distance from center to center on my 71 Charger quarter panels and they are exactly the same. That's going to make altering the wing for the 3rd gen g-series car a lot easier. I had always assumed that the horizontal wing blade would have to be lengthened. I bought the Janek nose that was on e-bay last week as well as a Janek Superbird wing and have everything else for the build except the headlamp doors. I've been in the parts collecting mode lately. I almost have enough parts for both the bird clone and the g-series tona clone. Just need a pair of 71 or 72 charger fenders now.
Before someone mentions it, yes, you do use a superbird wing on the g-series daytonas.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

nakita7

Quote from: daytonalo on February 22, 2007, 04:06:20 PM
sounds like he really doesn't want to sell it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, that's what I'm gathering...

dkn1997

I am curious,  how much is it really worth?, assuming it's as good as he says.
RECHRGED

hemigeno

There was an original Superbird wing that sounds like it was in exactly the same shape as this one that was on eBay just a week ago or so.  The opening bid was $3500 and it did not get a single bid.  It depends on who is shopping at that moment for just such a thing.  $5000 (or $3500, for that matter) is an awful lot of dinero to put down on something unless you had a real use for it.

onemintcaddy

For that kind of cash you can make a mold.
How Meany can say, They drive there 401-K

BigBlockSam

hey Geno. that wing was $3150 and it got no bids . thats what it reached the first time it was up with a higher reserve . Rene

**Inactive Link Removed**
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Quote from: BigBlockSam on February 23, 2007, 12:19:57 PM
hey Geno. that wing was $3150 and it got no bids . thats what it reached the first time it was up with a higher reserve . Rene

**Inactive Link Removed**

Yep, that's the one.  I got the price wrong in my earlier post, but that was exactly the wing & auction I was thinking of.  Honestly, I figured someone would have bought it for that price - but if no one is needing a 'Bird wing....   ??

dkn1997

would he have gotten more for it if he left it in the raggy factory primer.
RECHRGED

69_500

To him apparently its worth $5K. If someone has a Bird and wants to finish a restoration, correctly, and they are in need of a wing. Then I could see someone dropping that kind of money. To me I don't like the Birds too much so I'd pass.

hotrod98

Has anyone seen a wing like this one? Howie thinks it might be one of the cheaper wings that Janek built years ago when he offered different quality levels. I would think that those studs would pull out easily. They just seem to be screwed into fiberglass. Doesn't help that there's only two studs in each upright either.

Charles Addams

Winga

Quote from: hotrod98 on February 22, 2007, 04:53:34 PM
Speaking of Superbird wings. I just measured the distance from center to center on the base of my steel Superbird wing and the distance from center to center on my 71 Charger quarter panels and they are exactly the same. That's going to make altering the wing for the 3rd gen g-series car a lot easier. I had always assumed that the horizontal wing blade would have to be lengthened.
Before someone mentions it, yes, you do use a superbird wing on the g-series daytonas.
Are you sure?..................a 70 Superbird base is 22"x4 1/4"................a G-series  DAYTONA wing is much , much more narrower,..............the rake, angle, and box section, are as not as pronounced as a 70 Superbird,..............also a G-Series DAYTONA center section is WELL over 60+ inches in length!,...............sorry the actual demensions are top secrect, ................................................................unless you look at the FACTORY test notes, photos, etc,......................@ Aerowarriors .com website,.............but hey what do I know?...........I'm a Winga like the rest of ya...................................... :icon_smile_big:

hotrod98

Hey Troy.......................................there's those dots again. Wonder who that could be?
Actually, what I was basically saying is that the g-series wing is much more like a superbird wing than a daytona wing. Personally, I don't care what the exact dimensions are. Not important. I just know that the center to center measurement of my superbird wing and the center to center measurement of the peak of my 71 quarters are virtually identical.
And, I 'm not a winga, but I bet you are.  ;D

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

ohhhhhhhhhhhh, ..................................................i get it.............................................. :icon_smile_big:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

Charles Addams

Howie

When I first ordered from Janak he had 3 different wings that he sold. I believe one was $700 and the other $850 and the one that weighed the same as origional $1100. The wing here doesn`t look anything like he made. Janaks were hollow in the  uprights and look like the origionals. The horizontal is hollow to where you can run a cable thru it.

69_500

Not sure how the meaurements could be top secret on a machine that has been seen by thousands.

I'm kind of glad if they are back to posting on this forum again though.

hotrod98

Quote from: Winga on February 23, 2007, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on February 22, 2007, 04:53:34 PM
Speaking of Superbird wings. I just measured the distance from center to center on the base of my steel Superbird wing and the distance from center to center on my 71 Charger quarter panels and they are exactly the same. That's going to make altering the wing for the 3rd gen g-series car a lot easier. I had always assumed that the horizontal wing blade would have to be lengthened.
Are you sure?..................a 70 Superbird base is 22"x4 1/4"................a G-series DAYTONA wing is much , much more narrower,..............the rake, angle, and box section, are as not as pronounced as a 70 Superbird,..............also a G-Series DAYTONA center section is WELL over 60+ inches in length!,...............sorry the actual demensions are top secrect, ................................................................unless you look at the FACTORY test notes, photos, etc,......................@ Aerowarriors .com website,.............but hey what do I know?...........I'm a Winga like the rest of ya...................................... :icon_smile_big:

Well, it's obvious that the base of the g-series wing is different than a 70 superbird wing, the quarters are shaped totally different,  and if course it's obvious that the rake is different. Other than that the wing resembles a superbird wing far more than it does a daytona wing, especially in height. I have the parts to build a g-series car and was kind of thinking about building one later on. I've already committed my 440-6 4 speed setup for my 70 cuda project so I'll either use one of my 440 setups or just go the 5.7 late model route. I have way too many projects in my head. I think I need medication.

Oh, Mike why did you guys remove those great pics of the g-series cars from your website? I had them on my computer but somehow they're missing in action. The more that I've looked at those cars, the more I want to leave my 69 R/T SE car original and just build the 71 wing car. Best of both worlds. Mine won't be as nice as yours but it will be a great driver for the local cruises and shows.

Quote from: Howie on February 24, 2007, 06:12:40 AM
When I first ordered from Janak he had 3 different wings that he sold. I believe one was $700 and the other $850 and the one that weighed the same as origional $1100. The wing here doesn`t look anything like he made. Janaks were hollow in the uprights and look like the origionals. The horizontal is hollow to where you can run a cable thru it.

As for the pic, I'm not sure who made that wing, but it will probably be on ebay soon. It was offered to me but it isn't what I'm looking for. When I talked to him, I thought it was a Janek wing made like yours.

Charles Addams

Winga

Oh, Mike why did you guys remove those great pics of the g-series cars from your website? I had them on my computer but somehow they're missing in action.

Mike?..................................nah!.................try again :icon_smile_big:    in regards to the Dayclona website, the G-series car pics are still there,.......................................just click on the pic/ and or the script "additional pics".......................from what the "wingas" at Dayclona told me, the G-Series kits where only removed, and listed as not available,................do in cause of the inability of people not understanding "full / complete kit only" .............not individual parts,..................from what I understand, it's like everything in life, if you want it, and have the $$$$$....................................nothings unavailable   :yesnod:

BigBlockSam

:wave:    howdy Mike , good to see you ..................................... again.

Ghoste

...................................... :haha:......................... :haha:

hotrod98

I wonder if there been any new g-series cars built since the Dayclone built theirs? I keep hoping we will see a few more out there in various colors, etc. Would be interesting to see a g-machine version with 20's like the Sick Fish.  Personally, I'm not into the gigantic wheels, but would consider 18's on my charger. I'm going with Coddington 18 x 10's and 17 x 8's on my 70 Cuda. Maybe I'll just switch them back and forth from the Cuda to the Charger to save bucks. I have Champagne taste on a beer budget.

Charles Addams