News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you prep a vinyl dash cap?

Started by WH23G3G, February 18, 2007, 07:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I'm going to try that crappy vinyl paint from Mopaint in Dark Parchment on my vinyl dash cap. But I want to make sure I'm prepping it right, so that when I take the rest back to Year One for a return, I know it's the paint and not the prep work. It absolutely will not stick to the metal dash frame. I bought another 3 cans to test out, and it was just like the last one I bought, so thin it just runs off the frame. I even turned on a timer while I shook the can for 2 minutes like it said. I scuffed the paint, and wiped it with alcohol and sprayed and it ran off. Even the previous can that I used and thought was defective has started to peel off in places. I'm  hoping it will work on the vinyl dash cap. I'm just going to take the dash frame and have someone smooth it out and match the paint and spray if for me.

Back N Black

For my dash cap and all the upholstery in my car i used SEM Landau Black and swear by it!

41husk

there is a prep the guy from mopaints told me to use, I have it at the mopad. I will try to get over there tonight and post it up for you. It worked well on mine.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

41husk

The product is DXC 330,  Not sure about the first 3 letters, I didn't write it down, but it is a actylic cleaner made by PPG, most paint suppiers should have it, or a similure product.  I was told if you did not wipe it down first you might get oil coming through the dye from the making of the plastic.  I used it and my cap came out nice.  Be carefull with the glue, a little goes along way.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

41husk

It is DX 330 No C, ant they will have it at most paint supply stores.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Recharger

That Mopaint 'paint' you are using is not intended to be used on metal parts, that may be why you are having problems.  It is vinyl dye, and intentionally thinner than normal paint so it's less likely to fill in the small grain in the vinyl pads & panels.  Mopaint makes a specific paint for the frame itself, but I'm not sure if YO sells it.  It is a lacquer paint that has to be shot through an hvlp gun, and has a suede finish that looks noticably different (flatter and slightly textured) than the normal finish of the vinyl dye.   

As for the prepwork, the cleaner 41husk mentioned is probably good stuff, but I've had good luck using a 50% simple green solution and then rinsing with water.  I also spray the SEM Plastic Prep just before spraying the color and so far so good.