News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carburetor ?

Started by pb24, February 22, 2007, 12:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pb24

I have a 68 charger with a stock 383 with a 4 bbl and I'm looking for a good replacement carburetor. Do you guys have a suggestions.
I did a search and see a lot of people like Edelbrock carbs. is the linkage setup easy? some of you recommend differant model numbers for Edelbrock carbs. whats the difference between them.

Chryco Psycho

If You HAVE to buy an Eddy Carb at least get the tHUNDER series which is the old AVS style & is somewhat adjustable , on a 383 I would use a 750 cfm

mikepmcs

Holley HP 750 on my 383.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

pb24

Does the stock linkage hook up to either of these carbs or do you need a kit to make it fit.

mikepmcs

HLY-0-82750  CARBURETOR    Ready to Ship on 07/06/06  $499.95  1  $499.95

HLY-20-36  THROTTLE/CRUISE STUD GM    Ready to Ship on 07/06/06  $17.39  1  $17.39

HLY-20-7  LEVER EXT    Ready to Ship on 07/06/06  $6.88  1  $6.88

These are the pieces I ordered with my holley from summit.
As far as linkage goes.... was the car original with a 2 bbl?  If so you have a different linkage than what is needed for a 4bbl for your throttle linkage to operate the transmission properly(proper pressure thing).  Very important, as I have a 2 bbl linkage and had to extend with a barrel nut and some more threaded rod. 
You might want to look at a Lokar setup as well for the linkage.
If you do a search for throttle linkage in the search section or type in transmission kickdown linkage, you can find many subjects on this with pictures and advice on how to adjust.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

pb24

Thanks Pmcs for posting the threads for me, the car is original 4bbl so should the stock linkage work?

mikepmcs

bull

Seems both Ron and Neal like Holley so who can argue with that?

mikepmcs

73chgrSE

I'm looking at a holley 750 hp  model 3310 on ebay. Is that a good one?

mikepmcs

I don't think the 3310 is an HP model.

Here's the write up on the 4150 HP model.
I bought this one after much advice from this forum.  Much more expensive but better mods and better made and runs great right out of the box.

Taking some cues from racers and street heroes alike, Holley has taken their own Model 4150 carbs to the next level with the new Model 4150 HPs. Updates include cast main bodies without choke horns, and smoothed venturi transitions for increased airflow. Since they're aimed directly at optimizing power and performance for racing applications, other important modifications include screw-in air bleeds, stainless steel throttle plates, notched floats. They also have Dominator style fuel bowls to allow fuel line plumbing from either side.

Someone will surely elaborate that is much smarter than I.

I'll try to find the thread for you on it

v/r
Mike

mikepmcs