News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drawbacks to no fender tag?

Started by GTX, February 20, 2007, 11:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hypothetical, if you find a car with the build sheet and vin but missing the fender tag and assuming that you were interested in the car as a keeper and not selling, what would be the drawbacks to not having the fender tag? This is also of course assuming that every thing else matches.
Anything real serious that I'm not seeing?

69CoronetRT

I'd rather have the BS than the tag. The BS is more 'pure' documentation as they are much harder to reproduce (fake) and the tag only reflects what's on the BS anyway. You can have a new tag made a lot easier than a new BS.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

kab69440

If the car in question is missing it's fender tag, it will be much more difficult for the "know-it-alls" of the world to list all the incorrect items one by one.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Charger1973

I dont see any drawbacks, in fact I will be leaving my fender tags off the cars when they go back together.  Im not going to throw them away or anything, but other than telling me what my car looked like originally, they dont do me much good.  Im just going to put them into a safe place with the titles.  Heard one too many stories of people stealing fender tags, rather not give them a chance.   

Ghoste

No drawbacks unless it affects driveability.

TeeWJay426

If it's a keeper? Absolutley no drawback..... the only time it would hurt you (hypothetically speaking) is when you go to resell. How much it would hurt depends on what the car is.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

41husk

I agree with the above post, if you are going to keep it no big deal, but if you want to resale it may prevent you from getting top dollar.  What I thought was top dollar 15 years ago on my car, I wouldn't even consider letting he go for, so who knows in another 15 years.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

hemi68charger

$10,000 !!!!!, for a 3 x 6 inch peice of metal.........

When I sold my '70 six pack 'Cuda for $10,200, I had standing offers for over $20,000 if the fender tag was there........ So sad I didn't have it........ nor the broadcast sheet..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

bull

Can't you get a replacement fender tag if you have the build sheet?

hemi68charger

Quote from: bull on February 21, 2007, 12:00:02 PM

For the most part, yes.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Back N Black

A blank one just sold on e-bay for $685, i don't get it?

GTX

I remember about 3 years ago looking at a '70 Challenger for a project. It was missing the tag and I don't know if the sheet was there - doubtful. I was going to factor that into my offer but then decided that I wanted a Charger.
I didn't really think the missing tag would be a problem but for the price didn't care as long as the title matched the vin.

Now I sort of wish I had gotten a Challenger AND a Charger ;D

This guy gets old muscle cars for projects and sells them from his farm. At the time he had several Chargers including a '68 R/T I just missed out on, '70 Challenger, '70 RR, '69 RR and a bunch of others.

41husk

Is it in TN? I almost bought a 70 RT from a guy that does this in TN.  I think it was called Johnson Top farms? Not bad prices but the body work had some issues, nothing like our friends at hlpg but not bad for the price.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

GTX

Nah, it was here in the West. 99% are not complete or running but most are solid frames and good for foundations if you aren't afraid of a total resto.
Not for the guy who wants to drive it off and polish the old paint.

Mine ended up being mostly complete but very ratty and minus the interior and drive train but he gave me a back seat.

The Challenger was running if memory serves but I think it was missing some interior and had a crunched fender.

Big Lebowski

Some folks say the fake tags are easy to spot. dunno :shruggy:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

road/track

I just had one made from AG backeast, beautiful work, and he require pencil rubbing of vin and copy of build sheet to do the fender tag.
My old still exist but it's very rusty, all the information requested on the fender tag needs to be visible at the build sheet.
-1971 Charger SE U-code 4spd track pack, one of 29...
-1971 Charger R/T 440 6 pack auto
-1961 Chrysler 300G CV, one of 337
-2014 BMW 435i M-sport

tan top

if all the body digit stampings  match the Vin & broadcast sheet , and nothing on the car looks suspicious plus if it is model /year & options , i wanted ,it would not bother me , as you can get a tag made up , & if the stampings look to Sharp to be original , no biggie , the car is legit any way .  :Twocents: .. also more than a few mopars have had a new fender tags made up because the original  had rotted & disintergrated .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

BMOTOXSTAR

In my opinion a Mopar that did not have the tag would not stop me from buying that Mopar.  :Twocents:
I have never purchased a Mopar just to re-sell and flip to make $. I suppose a person that is only going to buy a Mopar to gain $ is going to be concerned about the tag.
  So if you really want the car and it is a Mopar that really gets you hard then I would buy it.
If you are a Flip Meister then a tag would probally be your pot of gold. :rotz:
    BMOTOXSTAR#079

73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

The70RT

Quote from: BMOTOXSTAR on February 21, 2007, 07:40:24 PM
In my opinion a Mopar that did not have the tag would not stop me from buying that Mopar.  :Twocents:
I have never purchased a Mopar just to re-sell and flip to make $. I suppose a person that is only going to buy a Mopar to gain $ is going to be concerned about the tag.
  So if you really want the car and it is a Mopar that really gets you hard then I would buy it.
If you are a Flip Meister then a tag would probally be your pot of gold. :rotz:
    BMOTOXSTAR#079

Nice car......Treasure Hunt? :icon_smile_big:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

BMOTOXSTAR

Sure is, I have one in the package and one out of the package ! :nana:
BMOTOXSTAR#079
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

HITMAN 149

my .o2... i would say if yoiu have a concours/original alllllllll numbers matching car that you only want to look at...then a tag would be valuable?!?!? NO??? just my .o2!! :angel:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

Bandit4142

I removed my fender tag as well.   It now sits with my Build sheet in a file in my office.   I agree, if its not a "Concourse de Elegance-type" original car...  screw it.
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold