News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metal Body Filler???

Started by Daytona Guy, February 20, 2007, 01:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

I have just started using Metal Body Filler (aluminum). It is amazing stuff. Is there a drawback on using this stuff besides the price?

Doc74

Well like all of these products, they don't last forever but they will hold for a very long time.
On alloys the biggest drawback would be oxidation. If air and moisture can get to the spot then the filler will lose it's adhesion to the panel since the oxidation will push it away but if you prepped it right then there shouldn't be a problem.

Any filler applied thicker than recommended will sag, metal filler however is strong enough to drill and tap thread in so unless you threw a bucket of it on the car, you'll be fine.

What exactly did you repair with it ? And what brand filler did you use ?
I had to use debracel metal filler from time to time when I did collision and the stuff is harder than a rock. Sadly enough it usually got used instead of welding which is a shame.

Generally I'd say use it in thin layers and stir it up without creating air bubbles. Use a fine finishing filler between metal filler and primer to shut any possible pores. Also let it dry for a week if you can before sanding it.....and go to a gym, you'll need the muscle to sand the stuff after that   :icon_smile_big:

ACUDANUT

There was a Guy in one of the Mopar Magazines that sprays it on and grinds it down.  He didn't need patch panels or anything to fix rear fenders.  It was amazing.  I bet it also cost mega money too. Did anyone else this this acticle. ?

JimShine

Acudanut, that is a different process. Above they are talking about a bondo like metal based filler. Though I do find the process you are talking about interesting. I have never seen it used in person, just on web pages.

Silver R/T

some guys do not like using it, due to fiberglass in it it'll expand differently than metal and will come off
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 21, 2007, 11:26:17 AM
There was a Guy in one of the Mopar Magazines that sprays it on and grinds it down.  He didn't need patch panels or anything to fix rear fenders.  It was amazing.  I bet it also cost mega money too. Did anyone else this this acticle. ?

There's a guy in Oregon who does that. By the time you're done farting around you might as well have cut the piece out and replaced the metal for half the money and time.