News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat black Chargers

Started by bull, February 18, 2007, 10:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 79JON on February 21, 2007, 07:26:13 PM
The only reason I primered my 68 coronet black was because of money.  It was part green, grey primer, and a yellowish primer before and I wanted it to be uniform before I put a real paint job.  It just so happen to look really good in flat black primer.   :yesnod: But I ran out of funds and ended up selling it in black primer.  I didnt really do it for the trend...just did it to make it look good as possible for as cheap as I could.

Bingo...same here! ;D Light blue/gray primer/black primer/dark blue & surface rust..............paints a pretty mental picture.

BBD

bull

I think one color looks a lot better than multi color, and if a guy doesn't have the funds to finish the paint right and right now I think flat black looks about as good as it gets for primer colors. Mainly I was just trying to get an idea if people were using flat black as a finish choice and how flat black looks compared to black primer. IMO they look about the same. However, I've been told that primer will not protect the car's metal very well compared to flat black. Either way though I think all the cars above look really nice in flat black.

CB

QuoteI didnt really do it for the trend...just did it to make it look good as possible for as cheap as I could.
:iagree:
Money was the 1st issue, the semi flat black on mine happens to look close to a real paint job.
I'd prefer to go back to a nice and shiny B5 blue but first things first.
ps: Bull , I liked your name better before you changed it.  ;)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Doc74

In CB's defense....the charger had some serious rust issues making the structure very stressed so he decided on what counts, make it healthy again and that's exactly what we did. His charger is ready to rumble and trust me, nobody cares what color it is when you floor that baby .

It's also not a primer but a high solid industrial finish, a lot harder than regular clear coat. The only drawback on it is that it leaves a structure. Keeping in mind it costs a fifth of regular car paint and it's strong enough to protect the car for ages I'd say that's a fair trade.
All that needs to be done to repaint it in the original B5 is sand it, that's it. The primer is UNDER what you see.

I agree with Troy here. People are very quick to judge. It seems that everyone's a critic these days. Must be jealousy.

I have no doubt that there's people even in Belgium criticizing CB's car but they'll shut their yaps when he starts it up I'm sure.
Hell people literally walked up to me when I drove my 68 and started yelling about what a dick I was driving a classic like that and not storing it in a garage ! Go figure.  People are nuts I tells ya...

To everyone, enjoy your CAR, whatever color or shape it's in.

CB whenever you're ready, Ken will take care of changing the color on yours. You got his number right ?

Oh and Bill, it's not clear coated but you can mix all these paints yourself giving it a total flat or a satin finish. You can go up to about 75% shine but then it just looks like a dull paint that was once shiny.

Joshua

HEY BBD...I UNDERSTAND where your coming from......JESUS...but you can't DENY the fact that primer BLACK is the "thing to do", just look around.  Can't you see where I'M coming from????? I don't see too many gray, red-oxide, ruddy brown primer cars running around....which if the logic is that the car will get painted, there should be more various primer-colored cars....primer color should be close to the top coat color....hence DP40, DP48, DP50, DP90, etc.........
Are all these BLACK primer cars running around going to get PAINTED GLOSS BLACK??? I doubt it.......

I'm do with this topic................and this site...................LATER

Troy

Quote from: Joshua on February 22, 2007, 10:56:19 AM
Are all these BLACK primer cars running around going to get PAINTED GLOSS BLACK??? I doubt it.......
Actually, as I stated in another thread, the first 11 Chargers I saw at the Nationals last year were black but none of them were black from the factory. Using that logic, I'd say that most of the flat black Chargers would be painted black at some point in the future.

Quote from: Joshua on February 21, 2007, 02:44:41 PM
People sure are touchy here...... :'( :cryin:
Yeah, aren't they? The point of having a discussion is to hear other opinions - not to beat everyone else into agreeing with yours. Your opinion is that everyone painting a car flat black is on some sort of bandwagon. Then you say people are in denial if they claim they painted their cars flat black for some other reason than just to be trendy. Yet you're the one getting all bent out of shape when people disagree. Who's touchy? You can't possibly believe that out of 3500+ other people on the site that everyone will agree with you.

Oh, I hate to see anyone leave the site - especially over something as rediculous as color choices. It's impossible to avoid.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Xtreme Machines

Hey I am new here but been around for a while, but hey jaak where are you from that is my friend 1968 Charger in your picture? I will post some pictures of my Chargers later on. I owned the 1969 Charger "General Lee" there that at show. 

bull

HEY BBD...I UNDERSTAND where your coming from......JESUS...but you can't DENY the fact that primer BLACK is the "thing to do", just look around.  Can't you see where I'M coming from????? I don't see too many gray, red-oxide, ruddy brown primer cars running around....which if the logic is that the car will get painted, there should be more various primer-colored cars....primer color should be close to the top coat color....hence DP40, DP48, DP50, DP90, etc.........

But black looks better than other primer colors. And by your logic you should be upset with the Chrysler executives for using trendy colors back in the day such as dark green and gold. The flaw in your logic about black being a 'trend" is that it has always been and will always be a neutral color that looks good. The first cars made were black and most cars with mediocre-looking bodies even look better in black. I just think it's too simplistic to say people like certain things because everyone else supposedly does it. Black Chargers are rare because Chargers are rare. So you might see four black Chargers at a car show but how often do you see any classic Chargers outside of a car show at all? Black is not trendy, it's cool. That's why people like it.

BigBlackDodge

It was not my intention to run you off................but that's your choice to do so. :icon_smile_blackeye:

BBD

Mean 318

Wow! What a waste! This is his loss.... why give up such a great site over something so stupid.... :rotz:

ck1

I think flat black only looks good at night or cloudy days, looks kinda cruddy on a sunny day witch would be the most of the time I would be driving it if it was my car........
CJK

HITMAN 149

seeeee ya!!!! nice talkin to ya!!!....don't let the door hit  :icon_smile_blackeye:ya in the a$$ on the way out!!!!!!!!! cmon...all over a stupid color debate?!?!? what-ever!!!!!!! my opinion is that of all the primer colors...flat black looks the best on a car!! my .02!!!!!!  :devil:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

kab69440

Well, if it makes him feel better, my car is roughly 5 different shades of ruddy red dependant of what I was working on and what I had at hand at that particular moment...  heh heh heh...
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

HITMAN 149

Quote from: kab69440 on February 23, 2007, 02:20:29 PM
Well, if it makes him feel better, my car is roughly 5 different shades of ruddy red dependant of what I was working on and what I had at hand at that particular moment...  heh heh heh...
:stirthepot: :smilielol: i love it!!!!!!!!   :devil:
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

bull

And here I expected 3 or 4 responses to this thread if any. Who would ever think someone would leave the site over a discussion of paint color. Very odd. ::)

duo-stripe

Quote from: CB on February 19, 2007, 06:30:21 AM
duostripe: wicked car, I love it!!!

CB....original speedometer in kilometers/hour, I believe it is a Swiss-exported car. Original A4silver, automatic, black interior, black vinyl top...
complete drivetrain is still matching numbers...and YEAH it's got the Elephant engine....  ;D
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 1 of 74 on February 23, 2007, 03:08:38 PM
And here I expected 3 or 4 responses to this thread if any. Who would ever think someone would leave the site over a discussion of paint color. Very odd. ::)

So! It's all your fault then! :o

BBD

bull

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on February 23, 2007, 04:26:43 PM
Quote from: 1 of 74 on February 23, 2007, 03:08:38 PM

So! It's all your fault then! :o

BBD

Yes, but I don't give a rat's a$$. :icon_smile_big:

CB

Close to 1000 hits and nearly 70 posts, not bad :P
Anyway, this thread helped me out to make up my mind where to go with the 69. That's what counts, getting more involved in the hobby  ;D
Thanks Bull, CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

You're welcome. One site quitter and one mind made up; what a productive thread. ;)

Mefirst

I love black Chargers, well I got one, so it figures... If I was to paint my Charger right now, Id probably leave it primer gray or a flat black colour. The reason is simple. I wouldn't dare to drive my Charger with a 7000$$$ paint job and my ride will never be a show car, my ride will be a Hardcore 1/4mile race car for as long as I own it.. If it shines, it doesn't mean it goes faster...

..and if people have a problem with the way my ride looks or how I use it, well -F... Them!!! -I got a Hemi Charger, what do you have??

/Tom

THE CHARGER PUNK

flat black makes then dodge charger look EVIL :yesnod:

BigBlackDodge

Lets not forget our very own Cyber-Charger by garethgeezer!

BBD

Mefirst

That Charger looks just EVIL...

/Tom