News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Isthis a scam? 70 Daytona

Started by lilwendal, February 16, 2007, 07:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I have to agreee with that.  It's an excellent and very old conversion but it's no more genuine than any of the recntly built clones that crossed the B-J auction block last month.

Arigmaster

I have to agree with 1Bad 68 & Chad...

But, In my own opinion, I think the car should be considered as a Daytona Charger.

Even though it was not produced in the factory from a "converted 500"... Daytona is still a "Package" and the parts used on all 3 are still all original factory Daytona package  parts. What makes this car differ, is that the dealer chose to produce three of these cars in 1970 when the factory killed the line production on the "Converted 500's" at the end of 69. In 1970, I don't believe that there were any Chargers with the window plug either. (correct me if I'm wrong on that)

They were produced on the line but converted in the dealership rather than at the other facility where Dodge sent the cars for "installation" of the "Daytona package". The chargers used for these conversions were also produced "on the line" so they are authentic Chargers.

So as for the car being merely an RT SE... Aren't the Daytona's merely a 500 with the Daytona package? Some may go back to the "Numbers" thing but the ones with the daytona package did not get the "numbers" until after the conversion was done. They rolled out of the facility with the 500 numbers and new tags were added or changed.

If I purchased a car from a dealer and on the day of the purchase had things added to the car which would convert it to something else. Then I say "no" it isn't real... But, If the car already is converted and has the package listed on the dealer added options... I would have to say it should be acknowledged as "real" under those circumstances because the package parts are genuine and the conversion was done before the car was sold and was not special ordered to the first person to register it.

Just my own opinion...

nakita7

The car is simply "The Original Daytona Clone/Re-creation". That's all it is....

Brock Samson

if i had the ability that's the car i would have ordered at the time...
too bad the rear window ain't right,.. no self respecting DAYTONA ever had the turbulance inducing sail panels...
..ain't this been agreed upon yet?..   ???

UFO

If you want to get technical about it.There are no factory built daytonas.My reason is that creative industries built them not the factory.Sure calling it a 70 daytona maybe is not right.Its still a beautiful car with a interesting history.
20 years ago I put a fender tag on my car from a cop car.One of those "special order-special paint" tags.It was funny when the number crunchers would look at the tag trying to figure what was special.

1BAD68

I agree, there are no factory built Daytona's.
Furthermore, anyone with the kind of money he wants for it isn't going to buy it and then realize later "oh crap I thought this was a real Daytona"
It is what it is.

Troy

I don't hear the owners of Balwin Motion or Yenko Camaro's complaining about their dealer installed options... :P

Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 17, 2007, 03:43:40 PM
I agree, there are no factory built Daytona's.
Furthermore, anyone with the kind of money he wants for it isn't going to buy it and then realize later "oh crap I thought this was a real Daytona"
It is what it is.
Very true.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Well that pretty much settles it then.  Following this logic means that all Daytona clones are as legitimate as any other Daytona clone because clones are all that were ever built?  Ray Nichels certainly wasn't a factory.
Maybe factory authorized is the term needed to satisfy everyone here, in which case, this car and all the ones that came after are just fakes, imitators, and pretenders to the throne?

1BAD68

Factory authorized works for me.
Although "dealer installed option" does hold weight in my book, kinda like a if you bought a car at Mr. Norms way back then and had them install a six pak, or a dealer installed warranty block. Seems alot better than one that was done 30 years later

Dodge Don

No matter which way you slice it the car itself is amazingly sweet. I've loved that car ever since I saw it in a mopar magazine way way back. The Areo Warriors club and Winged Warriors Association still maintain that 3 1970 Daytonas were built by Creative Industries.  :confused:

I think it looks nicer than a 69 Daytona.  :no:

THE CHARGER PUNK

thats my favourite wing car ever BUILT!!!! :yesnod:

hemigeno

Here are a few of my thoughts on this car that I posted on the mirror thread in the Aero Forum:

Quote from: hemigeno on February 17, 2007, 10:07:17 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on February 17, 2007, 09:03:04 PM
I will say this again. The car has been long configured in its current condition. As a matter of fact, I believe it was done this way before the origional owner even picked up the car. It is what it is. Its not a factory daytona by definition, then again none of the Daytona's or 500's are factory. They were all converted at Creative. So what is the difference of Creative doing a Daytona in 1969 or a Dealership doing it in 1970? Its not like the other Daytona's. That is correct. Is it unique? YES. Is it a legit car? YES. Would it be worth more than any clone ever built? YES YES YES YES YES

While I agree that Jerry's car will be worth way more than probably any other clone ever built, the distinction between this car and an "original" Daytona is the fact that the '69s were factory-sanctioned even if they weren't completely factory-built.  Creative did all their work at the behest of MaMopar - whereas the work on this purple car was done upon the instructions of a dealer and/or proud '70 Charger R/T owner.  THAT is the difference which can never be erased.  And for that reason, I would never use the term "legit" in connection with this particular car.

Think about it...  Dealer-added options are NEVER given the same importance as options intended to be on the car as indexed by the Broadcast Sheet.  Sales Code A11 (the C500 and Daytona aero packages) was noted on the Broadcast sheet, which legitimizes the Creative Industries conversion.  Jerry's car, while irreplaceable in the sense that no other '70 Charger R/Ts can be equipped that way on Day Two, was still modified after Chrysler was done equipping the car. 

Any dealership could add a six-pack to a 440 Imperial, but that doesn't mean that it suddenly becomes a one-of-one car now, would it?

I agree, that with all the controversy and notoriety surrounding this car, it's probably more "rare" than most '69 Daytonas - and in this instance that rarity will probably bring quite a premium over what would otherwise be a highly-optioned 4-speed '70 R/T.  To me, it is just a unique (equipped as a Daytona Clone almost since it was new), famous (due to its notoriety as a "possible" 1970 Daytona) clone

I'm glad the consigning seller weighed in to set the record straight about some things, since Larry did make a major leap in logic from what their response actually was.  That doesn't mean that I agree with the verbage in the ads, since I do not agree with their assessments and conclusions.  Most of the people who know much at all about the Daytonas already know the score on this subject, so I honestly think their statements and claims tend to hurt their chances of a high-dollar sale.  Don't get me wrong, I think its and awesome car, and it is significant to the Daytona's legacy/history in that I see it as concrete evidence disproving its factory connection.

I just do not think that this car will bring more than $175k (and I really question the logic behind someone paying that much).  After all, for a few more $$ than that you could probably get a pretty nicely equipped original Daytona.  Unless someone REALLY wants to have a car that is followed by controversy, why pay more for it than what an original car would cost?

That's my unbiased, unsolicited, un-adulterated, worth what you're paying for it, comments...

Geno

Brad

I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN HAYS KS. I'VE KNOWN JERRY FOR YEARS AND HE ALWAYS REPRESENTED THIS CAR AS A ONE OF THREE MADE 70 DAYTONA CHARGER. I HAVE KNOWN HIM TO MISREPRESENT OTHER CARS HE HAD, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS REAL OR NOT. HE HAS OWNED MANY REAL AND RARE MOPARS.

hemigeno

I've bought parts from Jerry before, although I've never met him in person.  Lots of folks who have say that he's a nice person, and this car has been around for a long time.  It's been the subject of lots of debates, on both sides of the issue.  I would never go so far as to say that Jerry has misrepresented the car, since I do believe it is as close to a '70 Daytona as anyone could ever get.  My definition of what constitutes an authentic Daytona might differ from some, but I do not believe it to be a factory-authorized or factory-sanctioned conversion.  It is still many notches above a "customized" Charger, but it falls short of the mark of what the Charger 500's, Charger Daytonas and Plymouth Superbirds were (or the '68 Hemi Barracudas and Darts for that matter).

It's still a very neat car, and the price is climing up there ($180k++), but if I had that much money laying around I'd be buying an original Daytona rather than this particular car.

:Twocents: