News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gear Vendors

Started by dkn1997, February 17, 2007, 09:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I know this may belong in the ebay section, but it might be appropriate here because of the interest in overdrive.

There is a company selling them on ebay right now for $2050.00 including shipping.  Although I have never bought one, I have never seen a new one for less than 22-2300 without shipping. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GEAR-VENDOR-OVERDRIVE-3-speed-4-speed-AUTO-MANUAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34208QQihZ007QQitemZ170082335594QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Probably, when you call and tell them it's for a chrysler, the price will double, but maybe it's legit.
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

The seller's only got a feedback of 1 too...I'd avoid that one for a while, myself. :yesnod:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

John_Kunkel

Zig's has been around forever, shouldn't have any problems dealing with them.

That is an outstanding price.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RECHRGD

Those units just replace the tailpiece on your 727.  Nothing else changes on the teanny.    Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

472 R/T SE

Every quote I have gotten has a new converter included.

d72hemi

Here is the e-mail I got from Gear Vendors. I just picked up a known good unit, for $800, all I need is to get the correct adaptor unit.

QuoteIan,

If you purchase the used units from the wrecking yard, make sure you get the adapter that the unit had been installed on. We sell adapter kits on an exchange basis, $650.00, plus a $250.00 core charge, for a total of $900.00. Once the original adapter has been received back here a the factory we then credit the core charge right back to you in full, leaving $650.00, plus shipping, as the final price for the adapter kit. We do sell remanufactured, exchange Gear Vendors overdrives, but do not sell used units. Price for an exchange overdrive is $750.00, plus a $500.00 core charge, for a total of $1250.00. Again, once the core overdrive unit has been received back at the factory, we will credit the $500.00 core charge back to you in full. Just to compare prices, the price for a standard 727 kit is $2495.00, plus, $45.00 regular ground freight shipping to your door. Give our Technical department a call at 1-800-999-9555 if you have any further questions for us.

Jeff Kubizna
Gear Vendors

ian  wrote:
My local auto wrecker has two Gear Vendors overdrive units out of two different cars, a ford and a GMC. could you sell me the needed hardware to adapt one of those units to a Mopar 727 3 speed auto? The car is a 1972 Charger with a 440. Also do you have any used overdrives? If so I would rather buy unit from you instead of an unknown junk yard piece.

Ian

I just sent them this e-mail also,

QuoteIt has been a while since I received your last reply, but I have two more questions. The $1250 for a remanufactured unit, does that include the adapter kit, or will I need the pay the extra $650 plus $250 core charge for it? Also, could I buy a remanufactued unit without having a core to return? I am just trying to find the best rout to go with my limited car budget.

Thank you for your time,

Ian

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 17, 2007, 09:27:37 PM
Every quote I have gotten has a new converter included.

why would you need a new converter? I need to buy one anyway, and I am guessing with the EFI dual plain intake 440, 727, and 2.76 gears (will change when I can) I will want a low stall converter, but that question is realy for the power train section. I will have research that  latter

NYCMille

If anyone has any questions on the GV unit please PM me - I've had one in my Charger now for 2 years and 12,000 miles without any issues. It is by far one the BEST modifications I have done so far.

Cheers - Mike

Hemidoug

Quote from: NYCMille on February 17, 2007, 09:49:51 PM
If anyone has any questions on the GV unit please PM me - I've had one in my Charger now for 2 years and 12,000 miles without any issues. It is by far one the BEST modifications I have done so far.

Cheers - Mike

Same here. I 've had mine on the car (Hemi/4spd) since I put it on the road. I just love it. I can't believe some people still want to cut their cars up for the Kessler trans when the GV unit goes in with very little mods. I say go for it, you will never look back....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

JimShine

Travis Bell loved John Schneider's GV unit so much that we added one to the Transcon Medivac. It was really easy to install and the only big mod we had to do was get the drive shaft shortened. The wiring was simple and installation was a breeze.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Hemidoug on February 17, 2007, 10:31:20 PM
Quote from: NYCMille on February 17, 2007, 09:49:51 PM

Cheers - Mike

Same here. I 've had mine on the car (Hemi/4spd) since I put it on the road. I just love it. I can't believe some people still want to cut their cars up for the Kessler trans when the GV unit goes in with very little mods. I say go for it, you will never look back....

Did either of you guys have X-pipes before you added the GV unit?

If so, how did you modify the exhaust to fit?
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

NYCMille

I was running an H pipe prior and yes, it did have to be removed so right now I run a dual 3" system straight out the back...

Hemidoug

I'm running the TTI 2 1/2 inch H pipe system with no problems.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Hemidoug on February 19, 2007, 09:06:21 AM
I'm running the TTI 2 1/2 inch H pipe system with no problems.

Thanks guys!

I was told by a TTI rep that standard X-pipes and H-pipes would not fit with the GV unit.

He said that you could modify (or custom fab) a H to fit, but so far hadn't heard of anyone doing the same with a X.

One of the reasons I didn't get one for my "70 (has a full TTI 3" system with their X-pipe), but still contemplating it with my "72 Imperial.

Oughta be able to get a bigger rear gear in there and still be able to endlessly cruise the highway.

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Hemidoug

My H pipe fit with no mods. I have some pics of it but I will have to dig them out. It fit like it belonged there the whole time!

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Hemidoug on February 19, 2007, 12:56:57 PM
My H pipe fit with no mods. I have some pics of it but I will have to dig them out. It fit like it belonged there the whole time!

Doug, did you mount it past the GV unit?

Or does it sit over it?

Definitely would like to see the pix when/if you can find 'em.

Thank in advance! :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: Johnny SixPack on February 19, 2007, 01:36:17 PM
Quote from: Hemidoug on February 19, 2007, 12:56:57 PM

Or does it sit over it?

Yeah, me too.  I'm runnin' TTI 3" H pipe.

NYCMille, do you see any possible way 3" H would fit now after you've made the modifications.  Does Doug have more room because his is a manual?

NYCMille

The only way I could see it fitting is if the h-pipe was installed behind the GV unit. Could I make it work, yea probably, just haven't played with it enough yet.

BrianShaughnessy

The location of the H pipe's crossover is supposed to be tuned to be effective.   Just adding it in anyplace it'll fit might be just as useless as not having it at all.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Hemidoug

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 19, 2007, 03:25:47 PM

Or does it sit over it?

Yeah, me too.  I'm runnin' TTI 3" H pipe.

NYCMille, do you see any possible way 3" H would fit now after you've made the modifications.  Does Doug have more room because his is a manual?

I think you may be on to something. the crossover pipe in the "H" sits just to the front of the sump in the GV unit. It crosses over underneath the trans tailshaft. It may be that the manual gearbox is longer then the automatic trans and that is why I didn't have a problem. I will scan in the pictures I have tonight and post them up for you guys.

Hemidoug

here ya go guys....

472 R/T SE

Snug as a bug in a rug.  ;)   Looks nice under there,  :thumbs:  Are you wrapped all the way up to the headers or just wrapped by the GV tailend?  In my mind I couldn't figure out how the H pipe would be in the way but after looking at your pic it makes more sense.

Thinking out loud here, but I wonder if going smaller diameter in the crossover piece would do the trick or as Brian S. mentions you're throwing off your tune.  :shruggy:

Thanks for the pix Doug, nice job.

Hemidoug

Thanks! Actually I took the wrap off shortly after I put the car on the road. I was just being cautious with the wrap. I've put a ton of miles on the car with it and so far so good. It really is worth the money and I think it's the best thing I added to the car. I can't understand why someone would want to go to the extreme of hacking up their car for a Kessler 5 spd when this is such a nice addition. If I want to go back to stock I can do it inside of half a day. Try that with a Kessler!

Ps...I'm running stock manifolds, so maybe the cross over is in a different place for header equipped cars.     

472 R/T SE

Well I'm fixin' to find out.  Thanks for the link dkn1997. 
They're local so I saved on shipping as well.  The GV is universal with an adapter to fit your model so no price difference.  They said that GV's got on them for offering them so cheap, apparently a mistake was made when they made up the auctions and they won't be offered this cheap again.  :shruggy:  Yeah, I don't know why they couldn't just pull the autions but I'm not gonna complain.  ;D