News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Rear End Ratios were available in 69 Chargers with Air Conditioning

Started by Chatt69chgr, February 16, 2007, 07:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I understand that, in general, 69 Chargers were offered with 3.23:1 with Automatic and 3.54/3.55:1 with 4-speed.  3.54 was the Dana 60 that came with the Hemi and traction pak option.  I think 3.55 was what you got with a 440 and without traction pak (ie, a 8-3/4 rear end).  What I want to know is if you ordered air conditioning and a 4-speed, were you limited to 3.23:1?  Some has told me this is the case due to Chrysler not wanting the compressor to spin too fast and have to be replaced on warranty.  Is this true.  I am converting my car from 318/auto to 440/4-speed and am trying to decide on the best rear end ratio---3.23 or 3.55.  I will not be using 14 inch rims.  I am leaning toward 15 inch rims and more or less standard type tires.  I will retain the air conditioning but will be replacing the RV2 compressor with a Sanden 508.  I won't be taking long trips in the car but don't want the engine screaming while I drive 50 miles to a car show on the interstate.  I passed guys like that going to the last big show in Pigeon Forge, TN.  They were running down the interstate at 60 to 65 miles per hour and as I passed them, I could hear their engines reving pretty high rpm.  That is probably why they were not going the speed limit of 70mph.

440/4-speed guys jump in and tell me what rear end ratio you are running and how it behaves.  Thanks.

UFO

A/C was not supposed to be available with 440-4spd.Later model compresser probably can handle the rpm a lot better than the old one.After all isn`t the same unit on a viper?

Chatt69chgr

Thanks UFO.  Does anyone have an idea of what rpm the engine would be turning with standard 15 inch tires in 4th gear with a 3.23 and with a 3.55 rear at 70mph? 

UFO

Try a google search.There`s a mathematical formula for this.I just don`t have it.Standard 15 size?there are many different tire heights in that category.

71gtx

a 69 charger rt 440 4speed car came with a 3.54 dana 60 or 410 dana  60 not 8.3/4 3.55 :icon_smile_big:

deputycrawford

Remember, your rim size does not dictate your engine RPM. Your tire height will. Tell us what your tire size is and I will tell you your RPM with what gear. You can also try these calculators on for size. The first one gives you your tire Height and the second will give you gear selections.

http://reiderracing.com/rtech_tiredia.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks for the link to the calculators.   That will allow me to make an informed decision on the rear end ratio. 

I realize the Dana 60 was always used in 426 Hemi applications due to the torque handling requirements.  But I thought that with the 440 4-speed it was an option.  In fact, I thought it was called the traction pak option.  So if you ordered a 440 4-speed you always got a Dana?

RECHRGD

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 17, 2007, 06:53:09 PM
Thanks for the link to the calculators. That will allow me to make an informed decision on the rear end ratio.

I realize the Dana 60 was always used in 426 Hemi applications due to the torque handling requirements. But I thought that with the 440 4-speed it was an option. In fact, I thought it was called the traction pak option. So if you ordered a 440 4-speed you always got a Dana?

Yep, If you ordered a 4 speed R/T you got the Dana 60 regardless of being a 440 or Hemi.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Chatt69chgr

Thanks Rechargd.  I guess my RT clone will have to live without a Dana for a while.  Maybe down the road I can pull the 8-3/4 and put in a Strange 60.  By the way, I notice your yellow charger on a trailer.  Is that a 69 Y2 sunfire yellow car?  And what length is the trailer?  I brought mine home on a 16 ft with ducktail.  The rear wheel sat partially on the ducktail break and the rear bumper hung over the back somewhat.  I am thinking that a 18 ft trailer would be the ideal length.

THE CHARGER PUNK

that car on the trailer looks more like an SS1 68 charger r/t i believe :yesnod:

RECHRGD

SS1 and Y2 were both the Sunfire yellow color, just different codes for the different years.  The trailer is an 18 footer.  you need that for a 2nd generation beast.   Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Chatt69chgr

Rechrgd----

I have been slowly trying to narrow down my trailer requirements and more or less had decided that 18 feet was about what I needed.  Thanks for the information.  A purchase is out a couple of years.  Spending all my money on parts right now.

471_Magnum

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 17, 2007, 06:53:09 PM
I realize the Dana 60 was always used in 426 Hemi applications due to the torque handling requirements.
Not true. Hemi automatics came standard with an 8 3/4.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

gtx6970

3.55 was the highest numerical ratio avail with A/C
I was told due to the RV2 didn't like high rpms, thus no A/C on Daytonas or Birds
Dana was standard on 440  and Hemi 4speeds only, optional on Hemi Automatics depending on axle pkg. selected

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: gtx6970 on February 18, 2007, 11:07:24 AM
I was told due to the RV2 didn't like high rpms, thus no A/C on Daytonas or Birds
Dana was standard on 440  and Hemi 4speeds only, optional on Hemi Automatics depending on axle pkg. selected

:iagree:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 18, 2007, 06:38:18 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on February 18, 2007, 11:07:24 AM

:iagree:

Optional 440 too (A32) :Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

hemigeno

Weirdly enough, the Dana only came on Auto transmission cars (both 440 and 426) in the 4.10 version, so there are no 3.54 Dana auto cars out there.

Based on what I can find out, a 3.23 axle ratio was available on a Daytona, but A/C was still not a sanctioned option (same for the Superbird).  My opinion on why that's the case is not related to RPM's - it is all about cooling.  The postage-stamp sized openings in the Daytona nosecone are just not adequate to cool the engines under certain conditions as they are, much less when an A/C condensing coil's cooling load is superimposed.