News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel gauge not working

Started by charger_mike75, February 14, 2007, 09:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger_mike75

I'm new here, hope someone can help me with my problem. I'm working on my 68 charger and i put a new gas tank and sending unit in and now my fuel gauge will not give an accurate reading, won't go over 1/2 when tank is full.
i've taken the sending unit out of the tank and operated it manually and the gauge will work like its supposed to. I think it's a ground issue but it still leaves me scratching my head. i've even attached a ground wire to it but that didn't seem to help. any thoughts or ideas would be a big help

Rolling_Thunder

is the ground strap in place that connects the fuel line to the sending unit ?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Plumcrazy

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on February 15, 2007, 12:59:20 AM
is the ground strap in place that connects the fuel line to the sending unit ?

:iagree: Which also means the fuel line itself must be properly grounded to the body
You could also try running a wire between the sending unit and negative battery terminal just to verify it is a ground problem.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

charger Downunder

You may have to bend the float arm down slightly.
[/quote]

charger_mike75

I put a ground strap on it and it didn't make any difference. does the gas tank need to be grounded, or just the sending unit?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: charger_mike75 on February 15, 2007, 06:27:34 PM
I put a ground strap on it and it didn't make any difference. does the gas tank need to be grounded, or just the sending unit?

Just the sending unit needs to be grounded.   Did you try running a wire between the sending unit and negative battery terminal ?

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

charger_mike75

no just to the body i'll give that a try

smokinrt

Quote from: charger_mike75 on February 14, 2007, 09:17:27 PM
I'm new here, hope someone can help me with my problem. I'm working on my 68 charger and i put a new gas tank and sending unit in and now my fuel gauge will not give an accurate reading, won't go over 1/2 when tank is full.
i've taken the sending unit out of the tank and operated it manually and the gauge will work like its supposed to. I think it's a ground issue but it still leaves me scratching my head. i've even attached a ground wire to it but that didn't seem to help. any thoughts or ideas would be a big help
My service manual shows the ground clamp snapped to the fuel line and snapped onto the fuel vapor line coming out of the tank, thats it, nothing (ground) goes into the tank.  Unlike GM type grounding systems are quite different.

histoy

I agree with Charger Down Under.   I have installed 3 new sending units, and all were grounded properly, but wouldn't read full.   Had to bend the float arm on all 3 to get them to read correctly.   My friend has a Super Bee and had the same problem.   He drained all the gas from the tank, then put in 10 gallons of gas, and adjusted the arm on the sending unit to read 1/2 full.  It's read correctly after that.

charger_mike75

so if i bend the arm down until it reads half, wouldn't that mean that the gauge would't go under half???
I will give these helpful suggetions a try but if they don't work I am real tempted to trash the gas tank and go with a fuel cell.  :rotz:

darrin75

I have the same problem here, what's up with the new repro sending units?? :flame: I hope the bend down thingy works for me..
Check out New Upcoming site.
http://www.mopartraffic.com

roger01

worked for me ....had to take the sending unit out 3 times though