News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone have a method of wiring '05 sound through a '68 radio?

Started by bull, September 05, 2005, 10:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Is there a way to run mp3 players, satellite radio or CD players through the old thumbwheel radio? I'd kind of like to eventually figure out a way to do this and retain the stock look while upgrading my speakers. I want everything to appear stock and actually function on its own but I also want a modern sound system. Also, where's a good place to hide a few extra speakers in a 2nd gen Charger? I will also need a good place to hide my Rockford Fosgate Punch 45. I believe I mounted one under the passenger seat in my '70 about 20 years ago.

Afflyer

:devil:  I'm gonna watch this thread closely- I'd like to do the same thing.  :devil:

Bradley  :icon_smile_approve:
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

eSJayDee

You can get your original thumbwheel converted to modern electronics.
Here's one place that does it :
http://www.taymanelectrical.com/
I believe these conversions allow you to hook up external devices (universal CD changers, MP3, etc.) via RCA plugs.
FWIW, I opted to go w/ a hidden remote control stereo instead.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,951.msg13017.html#msg13017

JimShine

Earlier this year I checked into having a thumbwheel converted and the people I spoke to that had it done were not thrilled with the sound quality. These were done by three different people, but all shared similar internal components. Opinions noted the sound was "Marginal" and a few claimed it sounded like a "$99 Wal Mart radio".

I was thinking about modding one myself. The inside the thumbwheels are totally mechanical. They are geared to a shaft that turns a regular potentiometer. However, I think I like the hidden CD player idea more. Stereos do not last forever and changing something like that will be alot easier down the road.

bull

Quote from: AllBlueRT on September 05, 2005, 01:42:22 PM
That's what they make glove boxes for. ;D

bull, you need to check out the new system I put in the purple car.   remote CD player in glove box, 2 amps mounted up against the sound wall behind rear seat, tweeters up in top of dash where the factory speaker holes where and they mounted the mids down by your feet.  

When I get the spare mounted we'll reconfigure the sub in back to try and hide everything.

Yea, I need to pay you a visit and take some pictures. Could you PM me with a number where I can reach you?