News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exact Locations of VIN Numbers, and Body Numbers?

Started by Bob9768, February 12, 2007, 07:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob9768

I have searched through the old archives on this site, but I can't find an exact thread that lists all the locations of the VIN Numbers and Body Numbers that would show that the VIN numbers are matching.  I personally do not know the location of all these numbers.  Obviously their is the VIN tag on the dash and the Fender tag, but where else can you find numbers on the body of a charger that will prove the car matches the tags?  I have heard they are on the radiator support and cowl near the drivers side, but exactly where would you find them.  I am specifically interested in checking out a 68 Charger, and would like to know the exact locations and ways to check the VIN numbers and title to make sure the car is numbers matching before I go out and look at it.

If you know the locations of the numbers and what they mean, whether they are the last 6 of the VIN etc, please post up where to find them.

Thanks,
Bob

Hemidoug

There are numbers found on the radiator support, trunk lip, motor, trans, and rear. Mine are on the top inside where the radiator mounts on the 71 and the very top on the 69. There are also numbers located in the trunk lip area under the weather strip. They could be on the right side or the left side. Obviously there are numbers stamped on the motor, trans, and rear end. The numbers on the rear are stamped into the axle tube. The numbers on the motor and trans are stamped into a machined area in the right (pass) side. The numbers are typically the last 8 digits on the vin (ie 71 would be x1xxxxxx). I believe E bodies have numbers stamped into the cowl area.
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

472 R/T SE

In '68 they weren't stamped on the cowl.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Bob9768 on February 12, 2007, 07:35:46 PM
I have searched through the old archives on this site, but I can't find an exact thread that lists all the locations of the VIN Numbers and Body Numbers that would show that the VIN numbers are matching.  I personally do not know the location of all these numbers.  Obviously their is the VIN tag on the dash and the Fender tag, but where else can you find numbers on the body of a charger that will prove the car matches the tags?  I have heard they are on the radiator support and cowl near the drivers side, but exactly where would you find them.  I am specifically interested in checking out a 68 Charger, and would like to know the exact locations and ways to check the VIN numbers and title to make sure the car is numbers matching before I go out and look at it.

If you know the locations of the numbers and what they mean, whether they are the last 6 of the VIN etc, please post up where to find them.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob...

stampings on a '68 can be found on the radiator support and the driver's side trunk rail. They are the sales order number, not the VIN number, and match the number on the fender tag. 1968's have a one year pattern. You will see the plant, probably a B maybe a G, then an 8, for the model year, and an X, the first letter of the VIN and X meaning Charger, followed by the six numbers of the SO from the fender tag.

The radiator support stamping may be on the top or on the engine side generally on the driver's side of the car. Trunk rail stamps can be found just about anywhere along the trunk rail.

I posted a picture of a 67 and a 69 radiator support number placement and a trunk rail just to give you an idea where and what to look for. Placement of the '68 stampings will be similar.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

472 R/T SE

Bob9768

Okay, I looked at it and the car was repainted.  The fender tag and door sticker were missing, they were removed when it was painted.  There are numbers on the trunk and probably on the radiator support, I didn't see the numbers on the radiator support because the paint was pretty bad around that area, had a lot of bubbles.  Is there a way to match the numbers from the trunk to something on the VIN or the title?  The build sheet is also missing?  The first numbers were B8X then it had 6 numbers after that.  So from what I read above that is the plant, then the year, then the X means it is a charger, then the six are the sales order.  What can I use to match those numbers to a VIN or something on the title?

Thanks,
Bob

472 R/T SE

Without a fender tag or buildsheet, I think you're SOL.  :-\  My picture is a generalization of where the numbers are and in '68 I don't think there was a door sticker.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but without a certicard, buildsheet, or fender tag showing those order number's, there's no way to match up numbers.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 13, 2007, 01:18:34 PM
Without a fender tag or buildsheet, I think you're SOL.  :-\  My picture is a generalization of where the numbers are and in '68 I don't think there was a door sticker.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but without a certicard, buildsheet, or fender tag showing those order number's, there's no way to match up numbers.

Agree. You need to have some sort of factory document that ties the SO number on the body to the VIN. This could be the broadcast sheet, window sticker or a quality assurance IBM card. The chances are slim the IBM card is in the car but they have been found.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Bob9768

What is the IBM card and where could it be found?  Another downside of this car is that the motor isn't original so it doesn't have the VINS, the 383 was swapped out for a 440.  Any other place I could even find a VIN on the car that could match the one on the title other than the dash? 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Bob9768 on February 13, 2007, 01:31:24 PM
What is the IBM card and where could it be found? 

I have a copy of the IBM card and will post it when I get home.

QuoteAny other place I could even find a VIN on the car that could match the one on the title other than the dash?

Not on a 68.  What's the attraction to this particular car?

Bob9768

I'm still unsure about where to find some numbers, The engine appears to be a 1972 440.  The tranny is the 727, maybe the original tranny.  If the tranny is original, where would the VIN be found on the tranny.  Also does anybody know the location of the confidential VIN that the police use to check the cars?  Also is there any numbers under the heater blower box on a 68 charger (if so in the engine compartment or inside the vehicle?)? 

Bob9768

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Bob9768 on February 20, 2007, 12:43:37 PM
I'm still unsure about where to find some numbers, The engine appears to be a 1972 440.  The tranny is the 727, maybe the original tranny.  If the tranny is original, where would the VIN be found on the tranny.  Also does anybody know the location of the confidential VIN that the police use to check the cars?  Also is there any numbers under the heater blower box on a 68 charger (if so in the engine compartment or inside the vehicle?)? 

VIN for engine will be on the passenger's side on a raised pad. It will not be the full VIN; only 8 characters i.e. 2g123456. It should also have H 440 on the pad on the front of the block.

A 68 tranny will have the VIN at the top of the bellhousing IF it's even there.

If I told you the confidential locations they wouldn't be confidential anymore would they? :icon_smile_wink: I believe that is an old wives tail. To my knowledge, those numbers have never been proven to exist.

I'm not aware of any other ID stampings on the body of a 68 Charger other than the radiator support and trunk rail.