News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm new and need help with 68 Hemi Charger - More pics

Started by Stentboy, February 12, 2007, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 21, 2007, 10:16:54 AM
Quote from: hemigeno on February 21, 2007, 09:25:43 AM
I also suppose that if you special-ordered a Base Charger with 15" wheels, you could also have selected those full wheel covers as well.  They were pretty much the only option as far as full wheel covers go for a Charger with 15" wheels. 

There were probably very few - if any - base Chargers upgraded to 15" wheels though, so I would think it to be highly unlikely as Troy was saying.  The chances would have been a lot higher of finding a base Charger with 15" wheels if they had kept the W23 Cast Aluminum Road Wheels, since those were not offered in a large bolt pattern 14" version (to my knowledge).

Ah,, so the 15's were an option on the non-hemi cars?

I may have spoken too soon...  Did some digging, and here's what I found out:

For certain, 15" tires were available on a Base Charger in 1969 when ordered with the cast aluminum road wheels.  However, I do not know if 15" plain steel rims & full wheel covers could have been ordered once the W23 option was taken off the table.  Here is what the paperwork says:

Replaces 7.75 x 14 BSW - all with 318 & 383 Engines

U64  (b)    F70 x 15 White Fiberglass Belted   MSRP $90.95
U65  (b)    F70 x 15 Red Fiberglass Belted   MSRP $90.95

(b) 15" Cast Center Road Wheel Required

After the cast wheels were recalled, Chrysler had a procedure for how to handle a car with W23 wheels coded - both at the factory, or at the dealership before the car was delivered to the new owner.   For Hemicars, that procedure was to replace the cast wheels with steel rims and those same full wheel covers.  However, a 1969 base Charger that was ordered with W23 wheels was supposed to get the 14" W21 chrome road wheels and a 14" replacement spare tire rather than 15" steelies and full wheel covers.  Whether any orders for U64 or U65 were processed after the W23 option was discontinued is unknown - to me, anyway.  Oddly enough, the 15" full wheel covers were not actually shown in the Confidential Pricing Guide either, but they were certainly used.

I probably shouldn't have stated what I did about the wheel covers on Base Chargers, since I don't know for certain that it was available.  Although I remembered it was possible to get 15" tires on a 318/383 Charger, I didn't remember the stipulation about the wheels.  That 15" tire availability may have disappeared with the cast road wheels.

Sorry for the confusion!

Geno

Stentboy

What were the wheel options available for a Hemi Charger in 68?

Brock Samson

hemi68charger

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 21, 2007, 01:31:03 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23675.0.html

lotsa info here..

Thanks Brock......... I missed that thread after it ran awhile......... Dig the, what appears to be, the LL1 med. dark turquoise poly...... That's like mine....... but, mine came with a black vinyl top and white interior.... I'll be going white vinl top instead.........  Where did you find those? An old ad?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RT DAVE

Quote from: Stentboy on February 21, 2007, 11:14:35 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on February 21, 2007, 11:03:24 AM
Your car looks nicer than the red one in the pictures.  Looking real good from what I see.  In fact, I think your's is now in my top five favorite chargers I've seen either in person or in pictures.  Keep up the good work.   What's with your username?  Do you have heart problems or are you a cardiologist?
Thanks Dave for your kind words, and with respect to your question it is the former.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope your car is good therapy as others have mentioned.   Mine is a constant source of irritation but I still can't part with it.

Do you have intentions of showing the car?  I'd be interested in seeing it if you attend any national events or if you are located close to me.  May I ask where you're located?  I'm in Madison WI.  Sorry for the unsolicited info... Take care.
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Stentboy

Quote from: RT DAVE on February 21, 2007, 05:06:33 PM
Quote from: Stentboy on February 21, 2007, 11:14:35 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on February 21, 2007, 11:03:24 AM
Your car looks nicer than the red one in the pictures.  Looking real good from what I see.  In fact, I think your's is now in my top five favorite chargers I've seen either in person or in pictures.  Keep up the good work.   What's with your username?  Do you have heart problems or are you a cardiologist?
Thanks Dave for your kind words, and with respect to your question it is the former.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope your car is good therapy as others have mentioned.   Mine is a constant source of irritation but I still can't part with it.

Do you have intentions of showing the car?  I'd be interested in seeing it if you attend any national events or if you are located close to me.  May I ask where you're located?  I'm in Madison WI.  Sorry for the unsolicited info... Take care.
To be honest with you, I really think they cause more grief than pleasure. Maybe I'm just saying that becuse things did not go well today, but trying to keep up with 4 cars and being as fastidious as I am creates a lot of stress. I live in the Dallas Tx. area,and incidentially my wife is from Eau Claie Wi. As far as car shows are concerned, I usually go to a couple of local all Mopar shows ,a couple of regional shows and 1 National show. I have been to the Nats 3 times and Monster Mopar Weekend twice. In years past it was the Challenger that I have showed - it won the Nats in 2004. Last year I showed the Cuda. Here is a pic of my other 3 Mopars.

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2007, 02:47:43 PM
This makes 4 '68 Hemi Charger R/T's I know about in Texas... lol

1. black - Allen
2. turquoise - mine
3. dark blue - Ron
4. silver - Ron

Opps,,, forgot another one in Ft. Worth, Tommy's bronze one....... Sooooooooo, that's 5 I know of and there's rumor of another one here in Houston....  Imagine getting all these together at the same time.......  Speaking of which, the Charger Meet is the first weekend of June in Boerne..  If Tommy comes, Ron (stenboy), this burgundy one and if Allen, you and I trailer ours up there, that'll make 5 !!!!  I'll probably be driving Dana, my C500, there and trailering the hemi car if it's done with it's paint and at least rolling.......  May not be done, but at least it'll be there.........

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Charger_Fan

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 22, 2007, 08:40:10 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2007, 02:47:43 PM
This makes 4 '68 Hemi Charger R/T's I know about in Texas... lol

1. black - Allen
2. turquoise - mine
3. dark blue - Ron
4. silver - Ron

Opps,,, forgot another one in Ft. Worth, Tommy's bronze one....... Sooooooooo, that's 5 I know of and there's rumor of another one here in Houston....  Imagine getting all these togather at the same time.......  Speaking of which, the Charger Meet is the first weekend of June in Boerne..  If Tommy comes, Ron (stenboy), this burgundy one and if Allen, you and I trailer ours up there, that'll make 5 !!!!  I'll probably be driving Dana, my C500, there and trailering the hemi car if it's done with it's paint and at least rolling.......  May not be done, but at least it'll be there.........

Troy
That would make a real nice group shot. :yesnod:

Nice collection you've got there, Stentboy. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Stentboy

We are working on the undercarriage. Here are a couple of pics of the date and casting #s for the motor - Build date was 4- 68. Is it true that no Hemi motors were built in 67.

69fuchs

"Build date was 4- 68. Is it true that no Hemi motors were built in 67."

Yes, that is true.  Does your car have the VIN number stamped behind the oil pressure sending unit?  In 68, some were stamped, some were not.

472 R/T SE

'68 or is that '66.  I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of blocks cast up in '66 and some left over's were used in '68 that weren't used in '67.  Not positive on that tho?

hemi68charger

From what I know, there were a ton cast in '66 and '67... Guess MaMopar had great expectations on the sold units... So many were left over, there was no need to cast any for the '68 model year...........

:Twocents:
Troy

Stentboy

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 23, 2007, 10:37:40 PM
'68 or is that '66.  I'm pretty sure there were a bunch of blocks cast up in '66 and some left over's were used in '68 that weren't used in '67.  Not positive on that tho?
It is 66. Here are a couple of additional pics. The exhaust manifolds turned out real nice. I wish I had remembered to take a pic of trunk flloor after we removed tank - not even surface rust.

Stentboy

Quote from: 69fuchs on February 23, 2007, 08:16:43 PM
"Build date was 4- 68. Is it true that no Hemi motors were built in 67."

Yes, that is true.  Does your car have the VIN number stamped behind the oil pressure sending unit?  In 68, some were stamped, some were not.
The guy I bought the car from said it was "one number off and must have been restamped". Why would someone restamp it one number off? I wiil try and check tomorrow.

ran396

my hemi charger is original engine cast date 10-31-66  my car build date 3-04-68 . i never saw any 67 casted motors.

hemi68charger

Quote from: ran396 on February 24, 2007, 07:40:06 AM
my hemi charger is original engine cast date 10-31-66  my car build date 3-04-68 . i never saw any 67 casted motors.

Bob,,
You have any pictures of the vaccum fitting? Since yours is a power brake car, I need to make sure I have the proper one.. I know I have to have many ports since I have the booster, green solenoid, headlamps, etc.......

Troy
Troy

Stentboy

So it looks like my 10-3-66 motor is about right for an april 68 car?

hemigeno

Quote from: Stentboy on February 24, 2007, 08:25:07 AM
So it looks like my 10-3-66 motor is about right for an april 68 car?

Yep, I'd say it is spot-on correct.

To my knowledge, after the 1966 (calendar year) castings no Hemi blocks were cast unti mid 1968.  The block in my car was cast in August of '68, but it's not original to the car.

Stentboy

The progress has been slower than I had hoped; the guy that was helping me broke his pelvis.I hope to have the underside mostly done by next week including new exhaust. Here's a pic of some of my clean up work in the back. Working on the undercarriage is both messy and time consuming. Sorry it's not a great pic, but I will post more and better ones next week. Troy, I got the vol. reg. from Almost NOS and it looks real nice.

RT DAVE

Quote from: Stentboy on March 01, 2007, 07:59:59 AM
The progress has been slower than I had hoped; the guy that was helping me broke his pelvis.I hope to have the underside mostly done by next week including new exhaust. Here's a pic of some of my clean up work in the back. Working on the undercarriage is both messy and time consuming. Sorry it's not a great pic, but I will post more and better ones next week. Troy, I got the vol. reg. from Almost NOS and it looks real nice.

Man, you don't mess around, do you?  You're starting to make me feel real bad about the progress (or lack thereof) I've made on mine.   ;)
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

hemi68charger

Quote from: Stentboy on March 01, 2007, 07:59:59 AM

Ron,,,
Thanks for the heads up on Almost NOS. I talked to them a few days ago. They sent me a flyer they have.........  Car's looking great... Love that Dana !!
Troy

Stentboy

Here are a couple of more progress pics. Finally have the exhaust system on. Hope to post more and better pics this weekend.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Stentboy on March 07, 2007, 10:34:00 PM
Here are a couple of more progress pics. Finally have the exhaust system on. Hope to post more and better pics this weekend.

SCHWING !!!!!!!!!!!    :2thumbs:
Troy

tan top

Quote from: Stentboy on March 07, 2007, 10:34:00 PM
looking real  good ... nice job
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

K9COP

Hmm.. a nice car for sure. I'm guessing that there's plenty of money being thrown at it also.. that's what slows most of us down, a lack of free cash. If i had limitless money, mine would be done now too...
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)