News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm new and need help with 68 Hemi Charger - More pics

Started by Stentboy, February 12, 2007, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Dang Bob and Ron,,

These pics are a shot in the arm for me to get mine done.........   Looking great !!!

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Stentboy

Troy, I'm going to try and get some more done on her interior and engine, and then put her on the lift and pull and replace the complete exhaust system, gas tank, shocks and a few suspension pieces. I will also start the general cleanup of the underside. All of that I'm sure will take the better part of week, depending on how much help I get.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2007, 02:47:43 PM
This makes 4 '68 Hemi Charger R/T's I know about in Texas... lol

1. black - Allen
2. turquoise - mine
3. dark blue - Ron
4. silver - Ron

Is this the silver Hemi Charger you are referring to?
I took this picture at the 1983 Mopar Nationals in Milan, Michigan.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Stentboy

I decided against installing the exhaust system myself, so I took it to a muffler shop today, and much to my surprise I saw another 68 Hemi Charger. Owner claims it is a "real" Hemi car, but it currently has a crate Hemi in it. It was just restored and is burgundy.It was on a lift so I don't know any more than that , but I'm going back tomorrow so I will try and get some pics. It makes my car, in its present state, look sad.

THE CHARGER PUNK

those seat covers stock??? also i see it has a non-console shifter in a console :yesnod:

Stentboy

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on February 20, 2007, 02:39:12 AM
those seat covers stock??? also i see it has a non-console shifter in a console :yesnod:
I was waiting for someone to ask about my seat covers. To answer your question, I don't think so. I have a receipt from 82 where the car's seats were recovered and there is an extra charge the inserts. To see the car in person you really don't notice them,but the flash in the camera makes them stand out. "also i see it has a non-console shifter in a console..."; I'm sorry but I don't understand ???.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Magnumcharger on February 19, 2007, 04:37:29 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 13, 2007, 02:47:43 PM
This makes 4 '68 Hemi Charger R/T's I know about in Texas... lol

1. black - Allen
2. turquoise - mine
3. dark blue - Ron
4. silver - Ron

I don't remember Ron's license plate, but if that's a red interior 4-speed car, that could be it.. It also had disc brakes, so the wheel covers would have "disc brakes" on them as well...... I met Ron for the first time back in '87......

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

xs29j8Bullitt

I am fairly certain that it is Ron's car, but also do not know the license plate number to be sure of it.  I may have the tag number in some old photos, but don't have time to dig through thousands of pictures... maybe someday I will organize the pictures.  :P

Here are three pictures of Ron's silver '68 taken in 1982 at the Chrysler Car Club Conference meet in St Louis.  Looks like the same tires...

Sorry for the sub-par picture quality... my scanner is still out of commission, so these are pictures of photo prints... 25 year old prints!

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

hemi68charger

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 20, 2007, 06:02:42 PM

I am fairly certain that it is Ron's car, but also do not know the license plate number to be sure of it.  I may have the tag number in some old photos, but don't have time to dig through thousands of pictures... maybe someday I will organize the pictures.  :P

Here are three pictures of Ron's silver '68 taken in 1982 at the Chrysler Car Club Conference meet in St Louis.  Looks like the same tires...

Sorry for the sub-par picture quality... my scanner is still out of commission, so these are pictures of photo prints... 25 year old prints!

XS

Now, that's Ron...... Thanks Allen......  Boy, it's been awhile since I saw that car.. Last time I saw it, it was sitting next to another "Hemi" b-body...
Troy

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 20, 2007, 06:30:49 PM
Now, that's Ron...... Thanks Allen......  Boy, it's been awhile since I saw that car.. Last time I saw it, it was sitting next to another "Hemi" b-body...

Shhhhh........ Don't let that one out of the cage!  :icon_smile_wink:

XS

THE CHARGER PUNK

Well there was a 4-spd shifter if you didnt order the console :yesnod: it is the one your car has, if you ordered a console it had a shifter that stuck out at correct angle and didnt pull the boot to such a degree, heres the shifter your car needs :yesnod:

like this except a white ball on shifter

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on February 20, 2007, 06:50:59 PM
Well there was a 4-spd shifter if you didnt order the console :yesnod: it is the one your car has, if you ordered a console it had a shifter that stuck out at correct angle and didnt pull the boot to such a degree, heres the shifter your car needs :yesnod:

I believe Ron has the correct shifter, but the top of the shifter boot is pulled to above the first bend.  The console shifter arm has a flat bar that makes a 90 deg bend towards the passenger side of the car to bring it to the center of the console.  The round part of the arm is welded to the top of the flat (rectangular cross section) part at the center of the console.

I do not believe a non-console shifter arm would work without cutting out a large piece of the side of the console... anyway, looks like the right shifter arm to me... just a little adjustment to the boot required.  Just my humble opinion tho...  :yesnod:

XS

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 20, 2007, 07:20:33 PM

I believe Ron has the correct shifter, but the top of the shifter boot is pulled to above the first bend.  The console shifter arm has a flat bar that makes a 90 deg bend towards the passenger side of the car to bring it to the center of the console.  The round part of the arm is welded to the top of the flat (rectangular cross section) part at the center of the console.

I do not believe a non-console shifter arm would work without cutting out a large piece of the side of the console... anyway, looks like the right shifter arm to me... just a little adjustment to the boot required.  Just my humble opinion tho...  :yesnod:

XS
:iagree: 100%
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Stentboy

Thanks for clearing that up, nothing like a little misinformation to confuse the ignorant - me. I went to my muffler guy's shop and did some work on my Charger  and took some pics of it with  another Hemi Charger. I will try to post pics later.

Stentboy

Later is now. Here are the pics I promised. The paint on this other Charger is very nice.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1hot68 on February 20, 2007, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 20, 2007, 07:20:33 PM

XS
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: Stentboy on February 20, 2007, 08:59:39 PM
Later is now. Here are the pics I promised. The paint on this other Charger is very nice.

Dang !!!! 2 Hemi '68's in one place......... That makes 5 !!!!!  Dang, I might as well sell mine, it's a nickel-a-dozen it seems.... They're all over the place........

Troy
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: xs29j8Bullitt on February 20, 2007, 06:47:39 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on February 20, 2007, 06:30:49 PM

Shhhhh........ Don't let that one out of the cage!  :icon_smile_wink:

XS

Mums the word.........
Troy

THE CHARGER PUNK

were those hubcaps available on base chargers???

hemi68charger

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on February 21, 2007, 03:57:44 AM
were those hubcaps available on base chargers???

If you're referring to the full wheel covers on Ron's car, then no........ Those are 15" wheel covers and those were available only on the hemi-equipped B-bodies.......... Now, if you went down to your local Dodge dealership and would only buy a non-hemi-equipped Charger, I'm sure they'd do something for you..........

Wheel covers are those you see, hub caps = "dog dishes" for they only cover the hubs.......

Troy
Troy

hemigeno

I also suppose that if you special-ordered a Base Charger with 15" wheels, you could also have selected those full wheel covers as well.  They were pretty much the only option as far as full wheel covers go for a Charger with 15" wheels. 

There were probably very few - if any - base Chargers upgraded to 15" wheels though, so I would think it to be highly unlikely as Troy was saying.  The chances would have been a lot higher of finding a base Charger with 15" wheels if they had kept the W23 Cast Aluminum Road Wheels, since those were not offered in a large bolt pattern 14" version (to my knowledge).

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on February 21, 2007, 09:25:43 AM
I also suppose that if you special-ordered a Base Charger with 15" wheels, you could also have selected those full wheel covers as well.  They were pretty much the only option as far as full wheel covers go for a Charger with 15" wheels. 

There were probably very few - if any - base Chargers upgraded to 15" wheels though, so I would think it to be highly unlikely as Troy was saying.  The chances would have been a lot higher of finding a base Charger with 15" wheels if they had kept the W23 Cast Aluminum Road Wheels, since those were not offered in a large bolt pattern 14" version (to my knowledge).

Ah,, so the 15's were an option on the non-hemi cars?
Troy

RT DAVE

Your car looks nicer than the red one in the pictures.  Looking real good from what I see.  In fact, I think your's is now in my top five favorite chargers I've seen either in person or in pictures.  Keep up the good work.   What's with your username?  Do you have heart problems or are you a cardiologist?
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

Stentboy

Quote from: RT DAVE on February 21, 2007, 11:03:24 AM
Your car looks nicer than the red one in the pictures.  Looking real good from what I see.  In fact, I think your's is now in my top five favorite chargers I've seen either in person or in pictures.  Keep up the good work.   What's with your username?  Do you have heart problems or are you a cardiologist?
Thanks Dave for your kind words, and with respect to your question it is the former.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Stentboy on February 21, 2007, 11:14:35 AM
Quote from: RT DAVE on February 21, 2007, 11:03:24 AM
Thanks Dave for your kind words, and with respect to your question it is the former.

Whew.. Then keep working on those Chargers Ron.. They have a way of relieving stress for me....
Troy