News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Dodge Demon kinda a mini viper...

Started by Brock Samson, February 12, 2007, 01:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Brock Samson

Red Ram

Is that a new concept...kind of a Pontiac Solstice killer! I like it. I'm sure the old Demon fans will chime in with their praises.
"In search of truth...some pointy boots and a few snack-crackers"

Brock Samson

here's also the new production dodge sprinter...
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/sprinter.html

btw that demon is a styling concept shown in Europe.

THE CHARGER PUNK

god damn put a roof on it, i hate the pontiac solstice and i hate the dodge viper :yesnod: that i do like but the back looks like a TT roadster and without a roof it looks 2 solstice :yesnod: i say Dodge after the challenger stay away from bringin old names back they butchered their toughest muscle car so leave well enough alone :yesnod: u see demon was a tough little brawler hardtop not a sissy sports car like the viper or solstice :rotz:

6pkrunner

The Bible thumpers killed the original Demon nameplate. I'm sure they wouldn't try that again here. Rebadged - it would be aimed at the Solistace.

Shakey

Quote from: 6pkrunner on February 12, 2007, 06:21:59 AM
The Bible thumpers killed the original Demon nameplate....

Is that true?

I don't find it hard to believe.

Can you provide some details - who, when, how etc....?

That is interesting.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Arthu®

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 12, 2007, 02:00:25 AM
here's also the new production dodge sprinter...
http://www.allpar.com/trucks/sprinter.html

That has been around here for some time now, as the Mercedes Sprinter and the Volkswagen LT (both have the same base just different cosmetics...)

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

mikepmcs

Quote from: Shakey on February 12, 2007, 07:11:55 AM

Is that true?

That is interesting.

All I can find so far is "bowing to certain religious groups"
Here are 3 different excerpts.

For 1973 the Demon fastback was renamed Dart Sport, in response to certain Christian groups' complaints about the "Demon" name and devil-with-pitchfork logo. The big-engined fastbacks thus became Dart Sport 340 in 1973, and Dart Sport 360 for 1974 when the 360 in³ (5.9 L) V8 replaced the 340 in³ (5.6 L) V8.

Based on the base Demon, the Sizzler added some of the 340's appearance and trim pieces. Both Demon models feature little cartoon "devil" decals which didn't sit well with some religious groups, but definitely added to the Demon's flair.

Bowing to pressure from certain religious groups, Dodge dropped the "Demon" name and renamed its sporty compact the Dodge Dart Sport. The matte-black hood was dropped, but the other trim details continued.

One from Allpar

Can you describe how the cars were named?
Product Planning and Sales Management decided on car names. Sometimes the choices were backed up by market research but frequently they were not. Sometimes the new name was a problem. The Dodge Demon (Dodge version of the Plymouth Duster) was named by the Dodge sales department because they envisioned an ad that said "Come in for a Demon-stration." The Demon name didn't last one year because some religious groups formally objected to the Demon name. I forgot what we renamed this model.

Lastly a link to an article on how it got it's name.  They actually considered naming it Red Gopher.

http://www.maxwedge.com/models/demon.html

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Old Moparz

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on February 12, 2007, 08:39:35 AM
Looks like a Nissan 350Z 'vert

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it. I like the Nissan, but not as a convertible as much as a hardtop. This one isn't bad, but I'd like to see one with a roof just out of curiosity. Sometimes certain cars look good as a convertible, but sometimes not.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

6pkrunner

Is that true?

That is interesting.

Thought it was well known. Here's just a few snags.

"The Demon logo's proved to be too much for certain religious groups and pressured Dodge to remove it from the vehicles. In 1973, the decals were removed and the name was changed to the Dodge Dart Sport."

"Comments: Bowing to pressure from certain religious groups, Dodge dropped the "Demon" name and renamed its sporty compact the Dodge Dart Sport. The matte-black hood was dropped, but the other trim details continued."

"For 1973 the Demon fastback was renamed Dart Sport, in response to certain Christian groups' complaints about the "Demon" name and devil-with-pitchfork logo. "

"Decals of the logo appeared on the sides of the front fenders and the taillight panel. Some religious groups were not happy with the use of this name or logo."

mikepmcs

Guess I need to get fast with my responses. :icon_smile_big:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

6670charger

Yet another response to the current "fads" out there.  I'm amazed at how many of these two-seat wonders are coming out, when there supposedly isn't a market for two-door cars. 

Although it isn't a bad looking car, it looks too much like all the others out there.   I guess since Saturn got their "baby Vette" the Dodge camp needs its "baby Viper."

Give me a two-door car with room for my family and a decent sized trunk for storage. 

OH!  WHAT AM I THINKING?!!  THAT WOULD MEAN SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TO BUILD A CAR TO COMPETE WITH THE MONTE CARLO, LIKE A TWO-DOOR CHARGER OR SOMETHING!!!!  SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!! I'M ABOUT TO BURN IN HELL FOR EVEN THINKING SUCH A THING!!!!!!!!!!!!  AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

69charger2002

let the old names rest unless you are going to pay them a real visit in similarity
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

mopar1

Quote from: 6pkrunner on February 12, 2007, 09:00:59 AM

Is that true?

That is interesting.

"The Demon logo's proved to be too much for certain religious groups and pressured Dodge to remove it from the vehicles. In 1973, the decals were removed and the name was changed to the Dodge Dart Sport."

"Comments: Bowing to pressure from certain religious groups, Dodge dropped the "Demon" name and renamed its sporty compact the Dodge Dart Sport. The matte-black hood was dropped, but the other trim details continued."

"For 1973 the Demon fastback was renamed Dart Sport, in response to certain Christian groups' complaints about the "Demon" name and devil-with-pitchfork logo. "

"Decals of the logo appeared on the sides of the front fenders and the taillight panel. Some religious groups were not happy with the use of this name or logo."

Where were the so called religous groups when the New jersey Devils came to town?If you can have a major sporting franchise named the devils,than there is certainly no harm in having a muscle car  named the demon.

mikepmcs

Shoot, I remember one of the Navy squadrons was named different because of this in the mid 90's(Devil's disciples) VF 301. Give em hell baby, I believe was the motto.

How about the Washington Bullets being named the Wizards for the same reason, albeit, a different reason.

evil1

The 71 Demon looked evil, the name fit it . That new thing looks like it should be sucking algae off the side of a fish tank.  :P

69chargerboy

I like it. It's a Demon like the "New Charger" is  a Charger. I don't see one resemblance of the old Demon at all. At least the new Challenger is something to look forward to. I'll like it al lot more if Chrysler crammed the new 6.1 Hemi in it with a 6 speed stick. Very doubtful though. It will probably have a Turbo Charged 4 banger in it, and call it a Demon SRT-4.
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

69bronzeT5

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on February 12, 2007, 03:53:56 AM
god damn put a roof on it

In my books they went up big time for the retro looks of the Challenger but they just lost big points with this "Demon" wannabee.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Silver R/T

Is that true?

That is interesting.

its BS, nobody's fault they dropped it. At least definitely not some church's fault.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 17, 2007, 11:42:31 PM

Is that true?

That is interesting.

its BS, nobody's fault they dropped it. At least definitely not some church's fault.

Read on kind sir!

Quote from: 6pkrunner on February 12, 2007, 09:00:59 AM

Is that true?

That is interesting.

I'll take 6pk's word. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

The Ghoul

Quote from: 69charger2002 on February 12, 2007, 04:47:33 PM
let the old names rest unless you are going to pay them a real visit in similarity
the issue is there's no way they can 'pay them a real visit in similarity'
Just look at the differences between the generations in the chargers, and that was only a years separation in technology and safety regulations.
Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If you make a car that is a true representation of the old muscle cars you will have the environmentalists, and the penny pinchers bitching up a storm. If you take the name badge and design something completely different you will piss off a very small fraction of the consuming population that are muscle car loyalists.
Its pretty much a no brainier from the auto manufacturers point of view.
so yeah, just let the names die.

BigBlackDodge

At least they did'nt pin the Demon name on a mini-van, but I wish they would lose that crosshair grill!!!! It makes all their cars look to much alike.....Magnum...Charger...Avenger...Calibur............yawn.

:icon_smile_evil: (Demon)

BBD

skip68

I think they should pair up a designer that loves the original body lines with a designer that likes new lines and make it blend into something cool and marketable.   Just my  :Twocents:         Chuck.......................
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Pistolpete

For what its worth I think this thing looks great - aggressive, new age, looks fast - better than the other stuff I see out there (including the imports) ya know?

bottom line is we keep slagging the north american guys whenever they come out with something new and put a classic name badge on it because its not old school enough - hey guys I got news for you - we're the old school, and we're the worst of the bunch because we own and love classic muscle cars so we somehow ar experts on the subject, I dont blame the manufacturers for trying to capitalize on sentimental names as part of there marketing - hell if this thing wasn't called a Demon would we even be talking about it ?? This is the one area that the import guys cant go - "classic muscle" why not use every advantage they can?

Anyway, you really want your voice to be heard - buy or dont buy based on whether you like the vehicle or not, the manfacturers then either have to change the style or drop the product line to keep you happy - easy peasy.

just my .02 cents

'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!