News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gTx from tommy boy the same car from Joe dirt

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, February 10, 2007, 10:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

I was looking over these pictures and the rims and tires remain the same which concludes me 2 believe that it is the same car except with a different paint job :yesnod:, also anyone know what happend to that beasty daytona????

Tommy Boy

Joe dirt

and........of course the Daytona :icon_smile_big:)its kinda weird of all the cars in the world they could have picked ,they pick a 69 charger Daytona eh? yes i know its a clone but still a charger Daytona of all cars :yesnod:

jaak

Exact same wheels/tires... and both have rocker mouldings too, could be?

Jason

LL1 1967 Coronet

The "Joe Dirt" version of this car looks to have a split bench seat like a normal Belvedere. I don't remember what interor the "Tommy Boy" car had, but i think I remember seeing a collumn shifter, which now makes me think its the SAME car.

jwilk01

David Spade is huge mopar fan so that GTX may be one of his own cars.

Later
Josh

THE CHARGER PUNK

ANyone in contact with or know who owns the joe dirt car???or maybe get him 2 come on this board?? id like 2 ask him a few questions :yesnod:

motorhead

There a guy in florida with a clone of the daytona from joe dirt. I saw it at the don garlitz show last year.

THE CHARGER PUNK

How much do u guys think it would cost for an air brush artist to create that look??? also anyone know who mighta painted it if u dont know who owns it?

mikepmcs

That web site had some very interesting information.

and by the way. :icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

no318

Several years ago the daytona was on EBAY.  It was a clone, but was a nice car that they made look weathered. 

moparguy01

i remember that article. it was a plum crazy purple car. with a smoke machine in the trunk to make it look like it ran like shit.

Ghoste

Didn't it begin as a partially completed clone started by the Machado brothers?

THE CHARGER PUNK

i believe so but they ran out of steam and let it sit then sum1 got the idea for the movie and there u go ;D

6pkrunner

I think each of the Mopar magazines did a feature on the joe dirt Daytona. It was a clone start and the engine compartment is pristine, and is as mentioned above done in Plum Crazy with a fully detailed 440. The project was sold/leased to the studio who did the interior and exterior. The car has surfaced several times since the movie but I'm not sure if its the same owner each time.

Mean 318

The Tommy boy was a bucket car, it had a lawn chair for a passenger seat...

THE CHARGER PUNK

terrible one

What happens to that thing in the movie? It goes from being pristine to..that!

8WHEELER

Quote from: Mean 318 on February 11, 2007, 10:49:38 PM
The Tommy boy was a bucket car, it had a lawn chair for a passenger seat...

Tommy Boy would bust a lawn chair in a heartbeat   :icon_smile_big:

I recall it had a column shift, so it is a 99% chance a bench seat. Remember the deer? bench seat.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

konigcharger

:iagree: i just watched the movie the other day it sure looks like a split bench

wether the cars are the same :shruggy:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Charger-Bodie

they are both good movies ,now thats for sure
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

konigcharger

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

6670charger

Could be.  Wouldn't be that hard to take parts off of it for the different sequences in Tommy Boy, and then put them back on and repaint the car for a different movie.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Drache

I remember hearing of a story about how the owner of the Joe Dirt Daytona got pulled over by the Police for his car looking too much like a wreck and unsafe for the roads. The owner then had to pop the hood and told the officer to find a single speck of rust on the car... which the officer couldn't and let the owner go.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

mikepmcs

Yup here's an excerpt

Oops . . . we're being pulled over on Rodeo Drive, just beyond Santa Monica Boulevard. Da fuzz just had to check out the strange bird. Yes, officer, we're just passing through. No, we're not going to come back. Thanks, anyway, for the friendly warning. Just shoot me . . .

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

GL#10

Both the remaining Tommy Boy cars are at CVS in North Hollywood  , they have been repainted and used in other productions , yes it was used in Joe Dirt .
There not for sale and are regular hired out to tv/movie productions , you can still see the blue and orange layer's of paint on them , have pics will dig them out and post them.

Great Movie 

Wha Ja Do   

FastbackJon

The GTX is not real... no chrome gas cap and the belvedere taillights. Probably does not have the 150mph speedometer either.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

cditomaso

I am thinking it is the same car in Joe Dirt, there are too many similarities. I also believe the GTX was actually a clone made from a Belvedere or Satellite. I say this because it is missing a few options you would expect to see standard on a GTX (Mopar experts, please advise):
1) 120mph speedometer gauge - see pic (GTX had a standard 150mph speedometer gauge)
2) Column shift (console shift standard on GTX?)
3) Missing chrome brake light bezel (standard on GTX), however these could have been removed.
4) Missing chrome wheel-well trim (pretty sure standard on GTX), however these could have been removed.
5) Bench seat up front (not sure if GTX had standard buckets or not)
6) No competition gas cap and bezel (standard on GTX)

Anyone spot anything else?

The links to the videos are here:
Tommy Boy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05y06ikKbI
Joe Dirt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kvq0XEB3DI

cditomaso