News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stroker Kit and Stock 906 Heads - What do I need to know?

Started by Mfr426, February 09, 2007, 08:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfr426

Hey folks, EVERYONE has been very helpful with my stoker project questions in the past and I appreciate it! I expect to have my completed short block back in the next month.  So, my next question is can I run my stock heads and if so, what do I need to do to them? This is a 68 440 and these are bone stock heads. The motor is completely stock and has had no work done to them. I am having them put in the dished pistons so I can run on pump gas.

First, this engine is not to race just to have enough torque to fry my tires and have fun. I'd like to have around 500HP and am doing the 440 to 512 kit. So, what do I need to do these heads? Do I need new valves, springs, etc.? Can I use the stock rocker arms and pushrods? Should I invest in an upgraded rocker solution? Should I pay to get the heads ported and polished? Any suggestions for manufacturers for these parts?

I'm just looking for advice from others who have done this before and can tell me what direction I should head.

Thanks all!

Mike R in Reading PA
69 Charger R/T Stroker Clone...

Challenger340

CONGRATS on the new Stroker !
Any of the iron heads are going to be considered "smallish" for a 512 inch engine, but you know that already I think.
That said, the costs associated to bringing them up even close to acceptable, for that large an engine flowise, is prohibitve, in my opinion only.

You've gone this far, why not some EDDY heads ?

Anyways,
If still going Iron heads, I'd swap to a 452 head castings, easier to port, and they respond quicker to big Valves(2.14 & 1.81), than the 906 head.
452's with the 2.14 & 1.81 Valves, and some home porting/cleanup, can support 500 H.P. with the right camshaft.
Upgraded Springs, Rockers, etc., are all a "GO"

Nobody seems to like INDY, but they sell a 452 casting with Big Valves through their "aerohead' sales side, reasonably priced. Might be worth checking out, or getting YOUR machine shop to copy.
I get along fine with INDY, but I'm a W.D. dealer.
EVERYBODY else seems to hate them !

Just my thoughts.

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

MOPARHOUND!

I have 2 sets of the Aero "452" heads, with the oversized valves.

The first set went on the 496 stroker.  The valve job was poor, and the valve guide clearances weren't consistent.  My engine guy at the time corrected everything, and did some basic porting to them.

Ran them 7000 miles, and made good power by my definition, all I wanted on the street.

Then the Eddy's came out and were all the talk, so I put that set of 452's on the shelf, and bolted a set of Eddy's on.  They are everything they say they are, as if I needed more power, haha.  Significant power increase, money well spent in my book.  Engine lost 50 lbs, and runs a bit cooler too with the aluminum dissipating heat better than the iron heads.

The second set went on a mild 440 build that is waiting to go in the car.  My current engine guy checked them out and gave them the okay.

Guess it's a matter of who's doing the valve jobs at Indy on a given day??
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."