News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What was the hardest stage of your chargers resto?

Started by Chargeraddict, February 06, 2007, 10:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chargeraddict

Im finding the body/chassis is taking the longest and most out of me so far...

uskatebetter

I think the hardest part of the restoration is when you dont have any money to get anything done haha

Arigmaster

The worst part for me was replacing the aftermarket quarter shells....

GTX

I'd say the two hardest parts are gathering the funds and parts for all I want and need, mostly the parts but the hardest actual technical part would be the body.

The more I tear into the car the more I end up deciding to do this better or that better. I might as well just replace this while I have that out etc..... but I can do most of the upholstery and I can do the front end work, brakes etc, etc.
I can even do basic body and paint but the part that I find hardest is cutting and welding panels just because I have little experience at that.
I'm getting into the rear window filler panel and trunk floor replacement and I've never had to do those before.  The GTX didn't need it but the trunk floor of that one will need it next since it's been years and it's getting weak now.

Probably the most boring would be the media blasting of the small parts and stripping everything to bare steel, that was a pain.

BMOTOXSTAR

The hardest PART was finding NICE bumper filler moulding for a 73' Charger.
BMOTOXSTAR#079
:METAL: :METAL: :METAL: :METAL:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

Brock Samson

hardest part of mine was having my front clip crushed the day i finished the resto when a gal in a miata made an left turn in to me... across a double yellow...

Big Lebowski

I think cleaning the bottom of the car sucks, even though the $900 media blasting job got 75% of the undercoating off, it's still alot of work getting the bottom to look like stainless steel. It took many hours & lots of beer to finish it. Good thing for my friends Captain Morgan & Red Bull, they helped out too.
    BTW Also, taking the Charger apart and bagging all the screws with written directions of where the part goes is 100% gotta do it. :yesnod:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Mean 318

Money.... trying to find out where in the hell that bolt goes! ;D

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

resq302

convincing the wife that " I absolutely will die if I don't have that part as a spare since they are sooooooo hard to find".
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Rolling_Thunder

hardest parts for me:   money (like everyone else) and saying "its enough" I'm always changing things it seems...    especially engines - i had a nice 318 auto car...    then a 360 auto car...     then a 383 5-speed....      then a 440 5-speed....       now i have the EFI512 5-speed ready to go in....       I think this is the LAST DAMN TIME...    keep in mind - i've swapped the 318 3 years ago...    in the past year i swapped the 383 to the 440 - and the 512 will be going in by the end of next month...    still sorting out some fuel delivery things for the EFI and rebuilding the front suspension - new leaf springs, new torsion bars, new bushings, ect...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

tan top

for me i think it was  , working on customers cars 9 1/2 hours a day . then coming home  eating your dinner then going to work on your own till midnight during the week, especially in the dead of winter . plus may be working 12 - 14 hours on it at the weekends . for pritty much 3 years .  doing that stuff when i was younger did not seam that much of a biggie , in fact did not give it a second thought . but as you get older ...... when i  Finally got round to do  mine ..... ...  :-\
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shakey

Finding the time to work on the car!   :smash:

Rounding up all of the "correct" parts!   ::)

Waiting for shipments to arrive!   >:(

Having my loving Wife remind me that I am spending too much money on my "toy"!   :rotz:

6670charger

1.  Finding the money

2.  Finding the time

Probably the hardest thing to date was discovering that my driver's side front frame rail was so rotted from battery acid leakage, that I couldn't change my torsion bars, and then having a HELL of a time finding someone to weld in the repair cap I bought for it.  I really thought for a few weeks that I was going to have to buy a rolling chasis from somewhere and start all over again.
Proudly Confusing The Crap Out Of People Since 1963

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

694spdRT

The panel replacement and body work were definately time consuming. For me though it seemed finishing up the car with all the detailing and reassembly after painting took a ton of time. I think part of it was the anticipation of it being so "close" yet so many little things were needed to truly have it done.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

PocketThunder

teaching myself how to rewire the whole car :yesnod:  that took 3~4 months of nights and weekends..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

triple_green

I way underestimated the time/money involved in the paint/bodywork. And mine didn't even need very much body work.

:icon_smile_approve:
3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

plum500

Deciding what to do with it....how far to take it, vs skills and budget and wanting to drive it NOW  ;D

bull

Quote from: tan top on February 07, 2007, 06:16:30 AM
for me i think it was  , working on customers cars 9 1/2 hours a day . then coming home  eating your dinner then going to work on your own till midnight during the week, especially in the dead of winter . plus may be working 12 - 14 hours on it at the weekends . for pritty much 3 years .  doing that stuff when i was younger did not seam that much of a biggie , in fact did not give it a second thought . but as you get older ...... when i  Finally got round to do  mine ..... ...  :-\

Me too. I work full time fixing buses and then to pay for the bodywork on the Charger I got a part-time job doing maintenace on delivery vans, and then when I went home and had to find the motivation to work on the Charger it just wasn't there. Now all the money is gone and so is the part-time job so there it sits with fresh bodywork and no money to do anyhing else. I guarantee you the next time I get a part-time job it will not involve turning wrenches.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: uskatebetter on February 06, 2007, 10:56:38 PM
I think the hardest part of the restoration is when you dont have any money to get anything done haha
Same here. :yesnod:
I have the time to work on it on a semi-regular basis, but not enough money to really get into it.  A lot of my problem is the fear of getting it all apart & the money supply dries up, leaving me with a garage sized basket case.

Sometimes I'm tempted to suck out the equity I've got in my house & use that money to finish my car...but the voice on the other side of my head sez that's a really bad idea.
I'll figure something else out. :)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

69-DodgeCharger

I really wish i had a Charger to work on in the first place

TX9 Charger

The most difficult part for me was installing the headliner (no wrinkles in the sail panel area) & adjusting the door and quarter glass. Getting no wind noise/water leaks, a door that closes gently with the window that was up or down was a challenge for me. You adjust one thing & it changes three others.

69_500

So far the hardest part of the restoration is locating the 69 Daytona to start doing the restoration on. Other than that its going smoothly.

I do have the 500 that needs a lot of work, but I prefer to hold out to do a restoration on a Daytona and enjoy the 500 as is.