News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW. 79 10th anniversary Trans Am

Started by Bandit72, February 21, 2007, 04:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

a guy i work with is giving me the chance to buy his 79 10th anniversary T/A...it needs some pretty extensive body work (mostly quarters and floor pans) and the interior is shot, he has the original engine but it is disassembled. Car has perfect T-tops, 4 wheel disk brakes, and power everything....he told me to make an offer...what do you guys think?

Thanks
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

no318

All those car need 1/4s.  Orig engine is alright, but it is probably a 403 olds (if it is an auto. trans.) which hurts its value.  If it is a 400 Pontiac (only came with 4 speed) that is a plus.  I know that the anniv. interior kits are now available, but BIG $$$$ from what I hear.  78 and down are more collectible IMO, but if you are getting a 79, the silver anniv car is the one.  From what you are describing, $1500-$3000 around here.

TeeWJay426

Tough to say, needing that much work. Also, is it the 400 4 speed, or the 403 automatic? I'm not a Pontiac guy, but with that kind of work needed, I would think 3K tops, maybe a little more if it's the 4 speed.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

mikepmcs

I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for that car.  I'd pay more for a Bandit I or II in that shape before that one. 
My buddy has a Bandit II that is 100% original (paint too) and a build sheet, etc...  he tried to sell it a couple years ago for $7500 and couldn't give the thing away.  He still has it but I don't see those cars ever bringing the kind of cash a first generation pontiac chicken would bring.

my.02

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Doright

Boy you guy's are going hi I would go $500.00 or less probably LESS sounds like a parts car to me! and the quarters are shot!

I have a 79 decent driver paint decent interior needs a little thing here and there original Eng 301 non turbo, and turbo 350 runs and drives both have been recently rebuilt. Car gets excellent gas milage thats what Pontiac built the 301 for the Eng was built for economy and it has good torq will turn the tires easy.
Has the bird and all, as well as good sheet metal, new door hinges! new door latches lots of new parts too much to list for this discusion, good rubber, ect. ect.
If I were to sell now as it sits I would be around $5000.00 and happy to get it  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

TruckDriver

I can get those cars in a lot better shape all day long for $800 to $3,000. here in Wisconsin. I know of one now that the guy can't sell just because its in primer, and it has the 6.6 that has been built with a cam and bigger intake. I been toying with the thought of buying it lately before he parts it out.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Doright

Personally I want 70-74 cars with 455 and 4sp I have had a 74 455 & 4 sp, 77 Smokey with a 400 auto, a 78 w/403 auto and the 79 w/a 301 & auto the 74 455 4Sp Silver anniversary edition was my favorite.
The 70-71 cars are just way cool and the 73-74 Super duty 455'S were the best cars although smog laws drew them down a bit they were still great cars.

Any of the Olds 403 cars should be avoided like the plague the blocks were weak and would crack very easily.
The 79 anniversary edition or even the Indy edition were smoke and mirrors in my opinion and not worth the investment.
The 79 - 80 301 Turbo car was a bit of an odd ball with OK performance and could give a Grand national a run for its money when built right!
But the 80-81 Turbo car with the off set hood scoop was something to be avoided the 301 turbo motor had been changed around and wasnt the same.

I got into Trans Am's heavy after I sold my last charger when I was going to school ( they were cheap back then but so were Mo pars )

If you get into Pontiac's Build them stock they run better do not buy after market parts always buy GM performance parts for them you will go faster and last longer, oh and the old 400-455 don't like real hi rpm's 4500 they are all done. and the blocks dont like real big roller cams lifter bores break.
Good luck finding Ram air parts they arnt worth the money any ways a set of D ports can be made to flow better never tride a set of E heads on one they say they work good.
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

chargerboy69

Quote from: Bandit72 on February 21, 2007, 04:20:00 AM
a guy i work with is giving me the chance to buy his 79 10th anniversary T/A...it needs some pretty extensive body work (mostly quarters and floor pans) and the interior is shot, he has the original engine but it is disassembled. Car has perfect T-tops, 4 wheel disk brakes, and power everything....he told me to make an offer...what do you guys think?

Thanks

I have had six of those cars. They are terrific, and I will have another one someday. With that being said, I would not give over $1000.00 for it. Also with that much rust, check out the frame. Trans Ams are known to rust there as well. The 10th Annivesary Trans Ams are going up in value, but one that needs that much work, you might be lucky to break even. If that matters to you.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

DodgeChargerNeeded

Well real 10th Anniversary 79 T/A's bring 20-25k full restored on Ebay.
Jeff

nakita7

It is quite amazing how much TA's have gone up in price lately! I'm starting to keep a lookout for them myself...

Joshua

Offer $500 and work from there........

THE CHARGER PUNK

grab it they only go up in price afterwards :yesnod: especially the 10th edition what a beautiful car :yesnod:

dkn1997

RECHRGED

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Bandit72

well here's an update, i offered him 750 for it and he got this puzzled look on his face and proceeded to tell me that his car would bring 2000 all day long.....i told him no thanks....i have more important things to spend 2 grand on than a rusted out pontiac

dkn1997

good job.  that's a very sensible offer for that car.  If and when he realizes that he cannot get 2 grand for it, then lower the offer to 350!!
RECHRGED

mikepmcs

Bandit4142

Hmmmm......  I've owned 2 10th's, unfortunately both auto's.   Both of mine were drivers, under 100k, and pretty average condition...  I got $3500 for one, and $5500 for the last one I sold.   But, they were probably in considerably better shape than the one you are describing.   A contractor here in town had a 400/4spd 10th with 32k orig on it, and it was in solid #2 condition....   He sold his for $39k in November (was asking $45k).   One big difference here in Colorado is, little to no rust....  in anything.    ;D
1969 Charger - 383 mag auto - Sold and sorely missed.
1970 Charger R/T - 440 mag - sold
1969 Super Bee - 383 mag auto - sold
1969 Cornet R/T - 383 mag 4 spd - sold

THE CHARGER PUNK

I want a black on black 400 4-spd car T/A :yesnod:

Bandit72

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on February 24, 2007, 03:03:18 AM

you, me and everyone else that watched smokey and the bandit....

THE CHARGER PUNK

no gold decals anywhere except for the bird on hood and the year would be 1979 only :yesnod:

79JON

I had a 79 TA with a 403 and that motor ran great for me.  Alot of people dont like them but it had good torque and could easily spin the tires.  It also got pretty good gas mileage for being so heavy of a car. 14-17mph.  Man I sure do miss that car..   it had 2.41 gears and could easily cruise at 100mph    :yesnod: Very Fun.

Ghoste

Quote from: Bandit72 on February 24, 2007, 03:04:55 AM
Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on February 24, 2007, 03:03:18 AM

you, me and everyone else that watched smokey and the bandit....

I kind of liked them before S&TB when I saw an older kid getting pulled over by a cop for doing a burnout.  That was around 74 or 75.  Why I ever thought that was a good role model?   ::) :icon_smile_big: