News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you ever drive with the radio off when commuting?

Started by Charger_Fan, February 04, 2007, 02:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you ever just want to listen to your breath wheeze through your nosehairs as you commute?

Yes.
No.

Charger_Fan

Just wondering. :icon_smile_tongue:

Me, I turn mine off now & then, because I just get sick of babbling commercials & after a while, you've heard the same 28 songs 16 times in 4 days...that get's old too. :rotz:

My previous daily driver didn't even have a radio...I drove that for about 2-1/2 years. The only thing I missed was traffic reports.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Arthu®

I often forget to take the radio front with me... Other than those occasions I rarely turn off the radio, I always leave the radio on but at low volume to watch where the cops are on the display. Wouldn't want to be caught :P

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

Chryco Psycho

all the time .....................Radio sucks
I was looking at Satellite radio but I want to listen to it first , no way I am going to sign up for a year & hear the same 20 tunes palyed over & over

4cruzin

Actually I have many forms of music that I use but rarely do I use the radio . . . I hate commercials, radio or TV.   :flame:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

mikepmcs

Yes to the radio question. Sometimes it's nice to just sit and think. Mostly about how much money I don't have, and bills, lol. :o

Chryco
XM is great if you commute alot, otherwise it's just a waste of money IMHO.  I do have it cause I drive 150 miles a day round trip.  It has a ton of different channels and although some stations play the same songs over and over, there is always another station to choose that doesn't.  Lots of different rock stations on there with some great tunes.  I pay mine quarterly with no contract at all.  It costs me around $35 US every 3 months.  You can even pay by the month.  No I don't know anything about serious satellite radio and their terms but i can tell you xm doesn't have a contract.  I bought my little tuner or whatever you call it at walmart for $48  and then just called the number and was on the air in 20 minutes roughly. It plugs into the cig lighter and you put a little antenna on the roof of your car.  Actually they are even cheaper now.  Here is one just so you can check it out.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5334275

There are all different kinds of models to choose from.
Anyways, I thought it was the cheapest way to go to check out the new technology trend.
Oh yeah, you don't have to stick the antenna on your roof, i put mine on the dash of my truck and it works just fine.

Hope that helps a little

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Silver R/T

I drive with cd deck face off, unless I go on a long road trip. I like to listen to the engine
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

Thanks Mike
from the programming I have looked at Serius "looks" better
I now live over 1 hr from town where most of my work is so I will be commuting more than I have been in the past
I am virtually certain the programming is different in the us to Canaduh too , we have to have 30% canadian content which kills us because there are virtually no good canadian bands , geneally I listen to newer Hard rock , there are some underground canaadian artists in clubs but no major bands left 

Manfred318

I get tired of hearing the same crap over and over again, and there are really no decent rock/classic rock stations around here anyways. I guess I could always listen to Que Pasa radio on AM, but I no habla espanol so that doesnt do me alot of good either. So most of the time no radio for me.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

my69

Like most of the replys here; I too rarely listen to the radio, I hear enough of that at work :haha:
(must be the age thing for me)  :shruggy:

I use to always have the radio on when I was in my Twentys :musik010: :drive:

jamie1974

Bleh...I've never fixed the radio in the Charger. I like listening to the engine. When I'm driving my daily driver to work I've gotten so sick of the same music and commercials, I actually found myself recently listening to the Classical Music station! :o Never any repeats, the songs aren't obnoxious like all that hip-hop stuff they play now, and they don't play any commercials, either.
68 Charger - 440 Auto/ 4.11 Sure Grip

mikepmcs

oh crap, you didn't say the Charger..NEVER, just the engine all the time.  2 reasons actually, after repairing alot of the wiring the PO did, i'm afraid it will catch fire and I like to hear what people are screaming at me while going down the road.  Mostly it's play the horn. :icon_smile_big:

I really like the rumpity rump of the motor, that is music enough for me in my Charger.  I imagine if I go to some cruise nights this year, i'll be playing some old school rock like Kelly(70Charging Lizard) did on his 10 minute video on this link. But after I rip the radio out and make sure it's safely wired of course.
If you need a little winter blues pick me up, i highly suggest getting yourself a brew and watching this. I think I'll watch it again right now...still time before kickoff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmZzKnCtXuY

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TruckDriver

I listen to it in my personal vehicles, although usually not very loud. But when I am in my dump truck at work, almost never. I rather listen to the diesel engine roaring and the turbo screaming. Once my Charger is running, I most likely will never listen to the radio. Can't beat the sound of a good cool sounding muscle car.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Old Moparz

I absolutely, positively, without any doubt, without any question, or even have to give any thought over it, despise the radio. I have to be completely bored before I turn it on, & if I do, it'll be a commercial free college station. The preprogrammed, computerized, robotic, no personality, & no individuality DJ's make my hair hurt if I have to listen to them for more than 18 seconds.

They talk over the beginning & end of any decent song they ever play, which might be every 3 months if they play one at all. When they don't talk over a song, they are playing a commercial that insults your intelligence. If they aren't playing a commercial, they are airing a totally distorted, louder than the music, radio station promo of themselves, as if you had no idea what station you were on.

I stopped listening to commercial radio in the late 70's in high school when I found the college stations I loved. My favorite was 90.7 WFUV from Fordham University in NYC. (Which you can get on line too I think.) My satellite TV company, DISH network, provides Sirius Satellite Music with the basic TV package. I love it & so does my wife who also hates the radio. Yesterday I had a station on called "Jam Bands" that played some great music I either never heard before, or haven't heard it in years.

F**K the radio, I hope it shorts out forever.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BigBlackDodge

With an old AM radio and NO speakers I can't hear anything but the rumble of the motor..........and the rattles.....squeeks.........strange whooshing sounds...etc. ;D

Don't miss the Radio while driving the Charger to work at all. However, when drive my newer car it's always on.

BBD

472 R/T SE

Commute...what's that?  ;) 
I've always had a good stereo in whatever I drove so only when absolutely necessary or the road was too rough for the CD player.  Now that I have a stereo in the Charger, I kind of miss listening to the motor. 
As in my Challenger's case, if it doesn't sound good I won't even play it.  :icon_smile_wink:

red72chrgr

I listen to nothing while driving my daily driver. When I get my Charger goin, who knows? My XM when I was drivin the big truck. Love Rollye James !
Nothing personal, just business

kab69440

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 04, 2007, 02:26:52 PM
all the time .....................Radio sucks
I was looking at Satellite radio but I want to listen to it first , no way I am going to sign up for a year & hear the same 20 tunes palyed over & over

Hit up AOL and activate their XM Radio access. XM kicks butt! Especially the Surf Rock channel. Eat this Clear Channel!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

CFMopar

I do in my jeep now cuase something happened to the reception all of the sudden  :flame:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Rocky

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 04, 2007, 03:01:32 PM

I am virtually certain the programming is different in the us to Canaduh too , we have to have 30% canadian content which kills us because there are virtually no good canadian bands , geneally I listen to newer Hard rock , there are some underground canaadian artists in clubs but no major bands left 

I think Sirius gets around that by having an all Canadian channel called "Iceberg".  I think all new chryslers come with a free year of sirius.  I'm happy with it.

Lowprofile

I've had XM In my truck since day one and I love it!  I also use my MP3 Player. Plug it into the front of the stereo & wa-la! 2000 songs!!  :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

dkn1997

I listen to WFAN in NY.  besides Imus in the morning, it's all sports.  I even like the Imus show because he has good guests and some of his supporting cast is pretty funny.  He is an old crumudgeon, but even he has him moments and he's not a bullshitter...

good thing about him or the sports guys, it's usually not the same thing over and over....

either that or one of my heavy metal 80's mix cd's...yes, gay...but i cannot help myself
RECHRGED

SnoPro440

When I take my Charger to work, the radio is always off.  I can't hear it because the exhaust is so loud.  When I take my truck, it's Sirius.  45-55 minutes one way.  But, what I have noticed is Siruis is just like regular radio, same damn songs over and over.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

Ponch ®

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 04, 2007, 02:18:17 PM

Me, I turn mine off now & then, because I just get sick of babbling commercials & after a while, you've heard the same 28 songs 16 times in 4 days...that get's old too. :rotz:

Get satellite radio and you'll never want to go back to regular radio. A lot of people say "why pay for something you can get for free?", but its a huge difference and to me it's worth every penny. There's plenty of variety, no commercials on the music stations and minimal (about 5 minutes per hour, if not less) on the talk stations - at least that's how it is on Sirius. A few weeks ago I drove to Tijuana and was listening to a replay of Howard's show from earlier in the week - in the 2 1/2 hours it took me to get there, there was maybe one commercial break. 

Quote from: mxzx440 on February 05, 2007, 11:55:20 AM
  But, what I have noticed is Siruis is just like regular radio, same damn songs over and over.

I've noticed that too, but its mostly the Top 40-type and hip hop channels. Otherwise, the rock channels like the Vault, Classic Vinyl, tend to play a lot obscure stuff and 'deep cuts' - stuff that you would never hear on regular radio. I couldn't tell you how many times I've found myself flipping channels and hearing some great stuff that had me going "damn...I can't believe I'd never heard this before". I've discovered a lot of bands and songs that way.

QuoteI absolutely, positively, without any doubt, without any question, or even have to give any thought over it, despise the radio. I have to be completely bored before I turn it on, & if I do, it'll be a commercial free college station. The preprogrammed, computerized, robotic, no personality, & no individuality DJ's make my hair hurt if I have to listen to them for more than 18 seconds

Yet another reason to switch over to satellite.  Since its a pay service w/ no commercials, the programming is not enslaved to focus group research and formats, so they can play whatever they want. Sirius has a channel programmed by Little Steven (Underground Garage) and they play some kick ass stuff.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Charger_Fan

Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2007, 12:04:51 PM
Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on February 04, 2007, 02:18:17 PM

Get satellite radio and you'll never want to go back to regular radio. A lot of people say "why pay for something you can get for free?", but its a huge difference and to me it's worth every penny.
I'm too damned cheap, I'd rather putt along in silence. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Johnny SixPack

In the Lincoln Town Car (and Imperial for that matter), the radio is on 99% of the time.

Even if it's turned down because there's a group of people talking, it's on.

Long drives without music are kinda sketchy.

Now it's different with the Chargers.

My "70 has AM/FM, and quite often it'll be playing some classic rock station (but lost in the wind/engine noise).

My "69 has a non-fuctioning AM radio, so it's strictly (and in this order) exhaust, wind, engine and finally road noise.

Mix in some misc. yelling when passengers are present.  :icon_smile_big:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!