News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ROUTE 66

Started by oldkimmer, January 28, 2007, 08:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldkimmer

Has anyone got there kicks on ROUTE66?......Kim
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shakey

I've been on a few sections throughout AZ & CA, maybe even through NM.

Have some photos but all in all, it's just another road.

hemigeno

My old hometown is right on Rte. 66, and I still live within 4 or 5 miles of it.  Kinda no big deal for us, to be honest.  I'm a little too young to remember much about the "mother road", but it was quite busy in its day.  Most of the traffic on the old road dried up when Interstate 44 went online (mid 60s near us, IIRC).

There are lots of old, decrepit buildings from back in the heyday still around, and lots of stories of shady dealings from back then too.  Things like Used Car Lots that would take a worn out old Model A and put a bacon rind in each rod bearing to keep the engine from knocking...  Apparently it was not uncommon for folks to trade in a car rather than wait around for theirs to get fixed.

Around here we sorta yawn when we see Rte 66 stuff though, but I guess the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt" might apply.

THE CHARGER PUNK

Anyone travel the supposedly haunted route 666? the 6th segment of route 66-MATT

skyhawk61

My wife and I spent two weeks traveling Route 66 in the summer of 1996.  We traveled I 40 from NC and joined the old road in Oklahoma City, traveling on whatever old portions of the road we could find wuntil we had worked our way to Flagstaff, Arizona. We went through all the small towns and stayed off the Interstate whenever possible.  I watched the Route 66 TV series back in the Sixties, and decided if I ever got the chance, I was going to see what this part of America looked like for myself.  It was worth every minute and every dime to explore parts of this country which haven't changed (at least to the casual observer) all that much since the 1960's.
   I would like to have made it into California but we were running out of vacation time.
   If you get a chance to do it, you'll never regret the trip!

Bandit72

i've always been facinated by old roads, bridges, buildings, abandon farms, etc....i love picturing what things were like in there "hayday" someday i plan on taking a trip down route 66 and taking the time to find all of the old sections that have been long blocked off from public travel.
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Vainglory, Esq.

I have been down that road.  I've got quite a few pictures, but sadly my ex girlfriend is in most of them, which just ruins it for me. :icon_smile_dead:

Charger_Fan

I've been on part of it in Arizona a few years ago. There's spots where the current highway runs right next to portions of the old road. The road & especially the bridges are skinny! I like the little hole-in-the-wall towns along the route, lots of history there.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

oldkimmer

Thanks for the replys.I cant wait to see all the history.........kim
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telvis

I have never travelled Route 66 but would love to someday.

41husk

lIke Geno said, it is a non factor, I travel a portion of it at least once a week here in town.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

oldkimmer

I plan to make a holiday of this historic road and take in as many sites as time allows............kim