News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

400 build need piston help

Started by srpntlair1, January 29, 2007, 08:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srpntlair1

I am having a bit of trouble, I have a stock 400 in my 73 Charger SE. Been saving and buying here and there for awhile. what I've got to go together is 8 3/4 with sure grip 4.10 in drivetrain. 727 with street/strip rebild.  engine wise holly 770 street avenger, 383 torker II  highrise manifold, going with 452 cast heads 2.14 in. 1.81 ex. 88 cc open chambers 200 cc intake port volume 3 angle valve etc on heads. Cam is 216*/228* .454*/.480* my problem is finding pistons to bring up compression ratio. right now it calculates to about 8.2 to 1 , same as stock...   don't have $$$ to go stroker now any ideas?

RD

Quote from: srpntlair1 on January 29, 2007, 08:41:55 PM
I am having a bit of trouble, I have a stock 400 in my 73 Charger SE. Been saving and buying here and there for awhile. what I've got to go together is 8 3/4 with sure grip 4.10 in drivetrain. 727 with street/strip rebild.  engine wise holly 770 street avenger, 383 torker II  highrise manifold, going with 452 cast heads 2.14 in. 1.81 ex. 88 cc open chambers 200 cc intake port volume 3 angle valve etc on heads. Cam is 216*/228* .454*/.480* my problem is finding pistons to bring up compression ratio. right now it calculates to about 8.2 to 1 , same as stock...   don't have $$$ to go stroker now any ideas?

go with a .040 over 440 forged piston and bore your 400 .020 over and slap it in.  There is a thread on this... search 400 piston in the search area.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

srpntlair1

I understand that, but that is undersized than just going 30 over on a 400 piston.what kind of dome 440 piston can i use on it and still get valve clearance? want to get compression up to at least 9

srpntlair1

bit the bullet, bought 440source stroker kit gave him specs on heads i'm using and said it should spit about 500 HP can't wait for them damn mustangs...HE HE HE got some body work and paint to do so why not let them pay for it

Chryco Psycho

cool
probably the cheapest fix for the 400 block

srpntlair1

God this is addictive and getting abit crazy...he he he found out my 4.10's were actually a 4.30 which should help with the 31 inch mickey's also bought a roller assembly set of heads from aero racing heads 452 casts instaed of standard job. those with stroker kit, and the other items, I think I  will be happy. BTW anyone in Southwest Florida know where I can locate a dyno machine? not that i have any doubts, but all my town has is rice burners  a couple SRT4 neons and a mustang or 2 that I wanna play with   ;D :cheers:

mikepmcs

Thought you said you didn't have money?? :icon_smile_big:
kidding but i just wanted to see where this thread goes in case i can pick up some more info.

I guess i could've just done this.... :popcrn:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

srpntlair1

had to get into the secret stash...the old lady didn't know about it...plus I talked her into not looking at the bank account for a couple months

mikepmcs

Nice work.   Just buy her one of those $2000  purses at some point and your golden.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,22786.0.html

:icon_smile_big:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?