News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4-speed doesnt match the 440?

Started by 2Gunz, August 29, 2008, 05:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Gunz

Ok so I stopped by a friends place to see the cuda hes working on.

Anyway long story short he has a 440 and a 4-speed he wants to use in it.

But apperently the shaft that connects to the 440 is to long.

He has somebody claiming that they can cut it or buy a new engine combo from them.

To me this just sounds odd.

I didnt have the time to investigate it much myself... just got the numbers.

So what gives?

Engine-

400630-440-3

4-speed

99129 H

E379257

PP833105    0021

And a decode would be Awesome!

Thanks

Daytona R/T SE

The hole in the end of the crankshaft for the pilot bushing is not machined deep enough. Not all cranks were machined to accept the manual trans input shaft and pilot bushing, there are ways around this, but personally I'd tear the engine down and have the crank bored for the bushing ( but I like to do things the hard way )

craigandlynda

well now....how long is too long? let me guess....about a half inch, maybe up to an inch? the tail of the crank should have a hole drilled in it the size of the tip of the shaft, and a copper or bronze bushing inside...many cranks used w automatic transmissions are not drilled to accept the stick shift transmission input shaft..if this is the case, you have two choices....1) another engine with a drilled out crank tail , or 2) try to drill the hole yourself- not really practical, altho i have done it...i don't recommend it. if you don't do it just right, you will hit oil...(which i also did- lol) and need to repair the leak with a tapped hole, plug, and anaerobic sealer..

now, if the shaft is WAY too long, you probably need to get a different bell housing, something is funny about yours...not sure... :Twocents:

Rob R

I just machine .700 off the end of the snout of main drive gear in the trans and make a bushing to fit the end of the crank...the stock factory pilot bushing will not fit those undrilled cranks.

John_Kunkel

I don't advocate cutting an input shaft but if it's done there is a pilot bushing that will fit in the converter register on the crank flange, there is as bushing version and a roller bearing version.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

General_01

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 29, 2008, 07:10:29 PM

I don't advocate cutting an input shaft but if it's done there is a pilot bushing that will fit in the converter register on the crank flange, there is as bushing version and a roller bearing version.

I don't have to cut down my input shaft, but my tranny guy wantes me to use the roller bearing type like in the pic with my 4 speed and McLeod Twin clutch.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed