News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats the best cordless drill I.Y.O ??

Started by 911bear, February 01, 2007, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

911bear

Hey guys
              just trying to find out what cordless drill has worked best for you including battery life i have a 14.4 DeWalt keyless chuck it has done a pretty good job just wandering whether to buy new batteries or a new drill ? :scope:
                                                                          thanks guys & gals       
1974 DODGE CHARGER SE BROUGHAM - CURRENTLY
CARS I HAVE OWNED :
4 - 1969 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY W/ COVER UP HEADLIGHTS 2 DOOR
1 - 1970 PLYMOUTH ROADRUNNER
2 - 1973 DODGE CHARGERS
1 - CHRYSLER CORDOBA
1 - 1984 DODGE RAM TRUCK

bandit67

I have bought several of the major brands and wore them out.  A Makeita was given to me as a gift and it is still going. The next one I buy will be a Makeita brand ..............J

Ghoste

I've had pretty good luck with the Makita as well.

bill440rt

I had a Black & Decker Firestorm. Complete piece of sh*t. I then bought a 5-piece 19v Ryobi kit from Home Depot. I LOVE the cordless drill! Very powerful for the money.
I did happen to break one, well I was abusing the tool at the time. Home Depot, as usual, replaced it without question. Other tools in the kit work great, too. The batteries work with all of them.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mikepmcs

I have a ridgid 18v from home depot.  2 batteries, lifetime warranty, and i get free batteries for life.  Don't know if they still have that deal but i got it way back.  I have no issues with it at all.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/18-Volt-Cordless-12-Drill-Kit

v/r
Mike

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

resq302

My father and I have the DeWalt 18v set.  Love all of them and they seem to last forever.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Mr_fixit

28v milwaukee lithium ion. for me.  And i'm a big fan of their cordless bandsaw & right angle drill.

Lord Warlock

the higher the voltage the better.  Some manufacturers are much better than others.  Makita makes some bitchin tools, dewalt industrial tools are also great.  If it costs less than 50 bucks avoid it or put it aside for lesser mundane tasks.  I've got a 14.4 rechargeable and it has survived now for 5 years without a problem, but it also won't stand up to heavy use either, i use a plug in drill for heavy duty jobs.  I'd like to get a 24v or better rechargable with extra battery packs.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

NHCharger

Quote from: bill440rt on February 02, 2007, 09:44:07 AM
I had a Black & Decker Firestorm. Complete piece of sh*t.

:iagree: Yup. That junk is for Joe homeowner.
As a contractor I've used several different brands. Burned up my first cordless a Bosh. I mainly use DeWalt, but the other brands mentioned are just as good.
The problem in the past is the bigger the voltage the heavier and more bulky the drill was. I stuck with the 14.4 DeWalt's for the weight since I have tendinitis in my left wrist.  With the new battery systems in the drills coming out these days weight is no longer an issue.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69-DodgeCharger

Well I work for Menards in the Hardware Dept. (Menards is basically like Home Depot except more of a Midwest chain of stores) and I have had people tell me stories about different drills they have owned. Now someone mentioned the Black and Decker one, yeah its ideal if you use it occasionally to do household things but if you are going to be using it constantly on a daily basis then go with Bosch or Makita (I would recommend DeWalt too---Menards doesn't carry any DeWalt products however)

Ghoste

I've found the Bosch to be a heavy slug to try and throw around for a day.  No complaints about it's quality, just the weight.

Chryco Psycho

DeWalt is just Black & deckme repackaged because b&d had such a bad name
I use Makita , good tools

Chatt69chgr

I use the 14.4 Dewalt for my cordless drill applications.  I like it better than 18 since the battery isn't as heavy and I mostly only use it around the garage.  Actually, it gets used for driving screws and in the house putting up curtin rods, etc.  I have a corded Milwaukee I use for most applications in the shop.  I use 18 volt dewalts for the 4-1/2 inch angle grinder and sawsall.  I really only bought these to take to the junkyard to cut stuff off.  The angle grinder works the best.  I use cutoff wheels on it and it zips through hardened bolts, sheet metal, etc.  Use the sawsall when I have to get into a tight place.  I use this brand because I got a good deal on them as close outs at Home Depot.  I think Makita is actually the best if I was going to pay full price.

Chryco is correct that Dewalt is owned by B&D.  Now Dewalt was a good tool before B&D bought the company.  I think they pretty much learned their lesson when they cheapened the B&D line and ruined their name so they have kept the Dewalt stuff pretty good quality.  Craftsman didn't learn from that experience.  At one time, their electric tools were real good.  But they got away from quality when they went to Emerson and then Ryobi to build their stuff (I apologize to anyone that uses the Ryobi----no offence intended).  Their sockets are still good but so are the ones at Harbor Freight. 

Speaking of Harbor Freight.  I got tired of paying $80 for one 14.4 battery and $90 for one 18 volt battery (dewalt).  So I went over to Harbor Freight and bought one of their 18-volt rechargeable batterys for $10.  I took it apart and removed the sub-c cells and then rebuilt my dewalt battery.  Actually works better than the original.  A friend of mine went one further.  He bought one of the cheap Harbor Freight drills and cut the part off that the battery slides in to.  Then he attached it to a dewalt battery case.  He doesn't have to fool with rebuilding them like I do.  By the way, if you do rebuild a battery, a couple hints.  You will find that one of the Dewalt cells slides up into the top of the battery case.  To remove it, you have to drill out the two spot welds.  Oh, when you take the case apart, you will need a #10 Torx screwdriver.  Then push on the terminals with a inverted pencil (the eraser end) to gently push out that cell.  It is kind of held in with some sticky foam.  I removed the straps with long nose and reuse them.  They are spotwelded but I solder them back.  You need a 200 watt soldering iron (got mine at a yard sale for $5).  And the secret is to use acid core solder.  Rosin core won't stick.  And get on and off fast so you don't damage the cell.  The real trick is soldering the terminal back that you drilled out (the one that plugs into the drill).  It can be done.  Ask your friends for their spent cases if they don't want to go thru this process----or better yet----do what my friend did and make an adapter.  Dewalt and the other companys charging what they do for batteries is a rip off.  For what they get for the batteries, they ought to give you the drill free.

I have heard that there is a 36 volt system coming.  Uses Nickel metal Hydride technology I think----or something like that.  It will probably obsolete all of the stuff we have now.  My 3 cents worth.

Chryco Psycho

GreenMachine

We use and abuse Makita's at work, they hold up very well.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

whitehatspecial

Quote from: NHCharger on February 03, 2007, 07:15:49 PM
Quote from: bill440rt on February 02, 2007, 09:44:07 AM
I had a Black & Decker Firestorm. Complete piece of sh*t.

:iagree: Yup. That junk is for Joe homeowner.
As a contractor I've used several different brands. Burned up my first cordless a Bosh. I mainly use DeWalt, but the other brands mentioned are just as good.
The problem in the past is the bigger the voltage the heavier and more bulky the drill was. I stuck with the 14.4 DeWalt's for the weight since I have tendinitis in my left wrist.  With the new battery systems in the drills coming out these days weight is no longer an issue.

:iagree:

Another 14.4 Dewalt using contractor here.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Irisharse

Milwaukee or Makita...just buy from a tool supply corp, not a Home Cheapo or a Lowes type dept store.  It seems that (they) mass produce these tools sacrificing quality.