News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68/69 Charger Grill Trim Group Buy!!!

Started by Troy, February 01, 2007, 08:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

Well, it's been a while but now it's close(r). I just received word from Jason at Gunslinger that the last peices of the grill trim are finally satisfactory, have been approved, and are in production. He has offered us a pre-order discount like he did with the checkmark trim. Here's a quote from the email:
QuoteTroy, I finally have the tooling for the grill corners right. Started production and will have the complete grill trim for the 68 and 69 in stock about the end of Feb, beginning of May. I can give anyone who wants to prepay a 20% discount off the regular prices. If they do not want to prepay, I can reserve a set for them at a 10% discount also. My web site has not been updated yet, so they are not listed yet.

Description:
QuoteThese Grill Trim Parts are basically made the same as the originals in material, finish, and workmanship. They are not the plastic chrome plated parts that are being sold by others. Each part is stamped from a sheet of aluminum, formed, then polished and finished with the correct R-5 brite finish like the originals. Today, this R-5 brite finish is primarily used in the lighting industry as reflective surface to make the light reflect back to make the light brighter.  Each part is formed in a tooling made of hardened and tempered A2 tool steel. This tooling is rigid and does not flex or distort.  Being made from tool steel insures that each part will be the same if its the first part or the 100,000th part. The fit is like an original part and they look excellent before and after installation.

69 Charger Grill Trim

7 Piece SetRetail $425.00Less 20% = $340 + $12.50 Priority Mail Shipping
Grill I BeamRetail $190.00Less 20% = $152 + $12.50 Priority Mail Shipping
Set of 4 Straight pieces with ship.  Retail $125.00Less 20% = $100 + $12.50 Priority Mail Shipping
Set of L & R Corner pieces with ship.  Retail $150.00Less 20% = $120 + $12.50 Priority Mail Shipping

68 Charger Grill Trim (Must be shipped in 2 boxes)

4 piece SetRetail $265.00Less 20% = $212 + $26.50 Priority Mail Shipping
Set of 2 Angled 58" Straight piecesRetail $125.00Less 20% = $100 + $14.50 Priority Mail Shipping
Set of L & R Corner piecesRetail $150.00Less 20% = $120 + $12.50 Priority Mail Shipping

If you are interested then contact Jason directly. He accepts cash, check, or credit card but NO PayPal.
Gunslinger727@earthlink.net
WWW.Gunslinger727.com
775-750-0988

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

694spdRT

Troy

Do you think he means they are available for the end of February beginning of March? I don't want to have the grill tore apart in May.

Thanks

Ty
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

OttawaCharger

So these are the same material as the originals? 
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

BrianShaughnessy

I was on the phone with Jason last night around 5pm pre ordering my corners and straights before this was posted.
I've had the center I for awhile now... it's a wonderful thing.

No, not the same anodized finish as original.   It's polished.  And it also beats the chromed plastic center I piece (Charger Specialties?) sold by YO, Paddock, etc. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

OttawaCharger

Brian - thanks for the info.  Sounds like real quality work.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Troy

I asked Jason for a more detailed description of the pieces (mainly because I don't want to screw it up). If anyone has his 'I' piece or check mark trim already I'm sure they'll vouch for the quality.

Here's a pic I took a while back of the 'I' piece (the piece under it is one of the top or bottom straight sections):

Troy

Troy

Troy

It's possible that those parts are made by Gunslinger but I don't know who all carries his parts. That isn't his eBay ID though. Those sets are missing the corners as well - which is what has been holding up the works for a year or so. The corners are apparently very difficult to get right with the compound curves.

Just a note of caution: When you look at the 68 top and bottom pieces there should be a distinct "point" in the center - it should not be rounded or bent looking. If you find an anodized set with a point it was probably made by Jason.

Troy

lookin@my68

Quote from: Troy on February 03, 2007, 10:12:48 AM
It's possible that those parts are made by Gunslinger but I don't know who all carries his parts. That isn't his eBay ID though. Those sets are missing the corners as well - which is what has been holding up the works for a year or so. The corners are apparently very difficult to get right with the compound curves.

Just a note of caution: When you look at the 68 top and bottom pieces there should be a distinct "point" in the center - it should not be rounded or bent looking. If you find an anodized set with a point it was probably made by Jason.

Troy

Thanks Troy...

Dennis K

I'm pretty sure that those ones on ebay are made by Metro. I bought a set of them when they first became available. Now I wish I would have waited, since the I'm going to be getting the end pieces from Gunslinger, and I have to see if the finish matches. I might have to resell my Metro pieces and get the long pieces from Gunslinger as well if the finish doesn't match.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69DodgeCharger

Has anybody actually installed a set of this trim yet?, and if so what were their results. If it's good maybe I will just step up now with some tax money and get a set.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

towman

Im definitely interested too i would also like to see more pic's please and do they mount like oem ones and are they alum. or stainless someone in this post said they were stainless but now i dont see the post anyway if they are like oem i'll take the whole set.

Dennis K

Troy updated his original post with the description saying that  the parts are brite-coated polished aluminum, like the original parts. I just sent Gunslinger an email to order mine. Thanks for this post!

Back N Black

I bought The 'I' piece and the four long pieces from e-bay and installed them, i'm happy with it.

Troy

Just to clarify...

this is a pre-order and the end pieces are still being manufactured so it is highly unlikely that anyone out there has a full set to take pictures of. Jason has the prototypes/samples mounted to a 69 Charger grill and I can probably get more detailed pictures of those. He did have a small number of good ones out of his last sample batch so there may be 13-16 sets in existence somewhere. They are pre-production though and there may have been some minor changes.

From my understanding, the anodizing can be slightly different even from the same manufacturer because it seems to be dependent on temperature, duration of treatment, and even age of the solution. Ask Dodge Don (I think) about anodized wiper motors. ;) When buying parts from multiple manufacturers it's best to compare them side by side - especially on polished or chrome pieces.

Yes, they are aluminum.

Ty, it's possible that he really did mean "May" but I ask for clarification. Manufacturers and polishers aren't exactly prompt and may or may not have decent estimating skills. When you're relying on someone else it's hard to pin down an exact date.

Troy

resq302

Troy,

How long is this group buy good for?  I am kind of short on money right now but might have some in the next month or two.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

towman

i preorderd mine last night. Jason is a super nice guy he will anewser any questions you guys may  have, he said they are the same as oem they have the same anodizing as oem and mount the same way as oem ones do, good enough for me

smasherofall

priority mail for for the corner pieces on a 68 at $24.50 sounds a little high. one pound is only 4.05, $20 for a box?

Troy

Quote from: smasherofall on February 06, 2007, 03:00:16 PM
priority mail for for the corner pieces on a 68 at $24.50 sounds a little high. one pound is only 4.05, $20 for a box?
I got an answer on the shipping and modified the original post with the correct pricing.

Troy

Judhudson

Quote from: resq302 on February 06, 2007, 01:38:29 PM
Troy,

How long is this group buy good for? I am kind of short on money right now but might have some in the next month or two.

I second this.  It'd be perfect since I'm converting my 68 grill to a 69.

Troy

Quote from: Judhudson on February 06, 2007, 09:47:43 PM
Troy,

How long is this group buy good for? I am kind of short on money right now but might have some in the next month or two.

I didn't get an answer on that question but my guess is that it's only good until the parts actually arrive - then they go to whoever has the money first. I think the checkmark trim pre-order went all the way up until a few days before the boxes arrived on his doorstep but I'll ask. Perhaps you guys could call/email Jason and report back.

Troy

resq302

Quote from: Troy on February 06, 2007, 10:43:10 PM
Quote from: Judhudson on February 06, 2007, 09:47:43 PM
Troy,

I didn't get an answer on that question but my guess is that it's only good until the parts actually arrive - then they go to whoever has the money first. I think the checkmark trim pre-order went all the way up until a few days before the boxes arrived on his doorstep but I'll ask. Perhaps you guys could call/email Jason and report back.

Troy

Troy, I can try and call Jason.  Don't know when it will be though as I will be running around looking for a new/used car for my sister in law who blew up her trans in her Kia again.  (Kia replaced it a year and a half ago and refuses to warranty it claiming it only had a one year warranty even though the car has 15,000 miles on that trans).   With any luck I will be able to talk to Jason in the next week or two.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto