News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got the 391 in today...ATTN: RON !

Started by SuBLimE 69, September 03, 2005, 08:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuBLimE 69

I was originally gonna PM this to Ron but It's been such a good day I'll share with everyone.

Ron, We got the rear end in today with NO DRAMA...everything went as planned.  I bought the unit from a guy on the forum awhile back...dont remember who but he gaave me a good price ...THANKS MAN !  It was set at 7k backlash so we threw it in and had to make no adjustments at all.  The old unit was identified as 323 suregrip which I had pretty much quessed.  I was very happy with the 391 before I even got out of the driveway.  The car doesnt work hard at all now to get moving.  That rear and the stall were a perfect match.  I used a stock MaMopar speedo cable (for 14 inch wheels) and It is nearly dead on the money maybe a mile per hour slow.  I could tell right away the car was alot more "torquey" right off the bat and I still have the regular ricer tires on the back but I got the nerve and let her breath.  I rolled through the stop sign..(with a dozen people watching from the gas station)  all it took was the guy in the HEMI Ram to give me the thumbs up and I was gone.  From a roll at about 2k I hit it, the tires broke loose and she fished to the left slightly, I hit second still spinning and gaining ALOT of speed, she carried back so center and fished back right until the tires finnaly grabbed but then it was time for third.  I hit third all HOLLY SHET if they didnt spin again when I hit third.  I lifted since most of the seat had been sucked up my ass and decided I need to act like a citizen again. 
I think the gear is just deep enough to still be very streetable.  I think the 411 would have been the obvious choice for the track but I wanted a driver so I happy happy with this one so far.  the 323 was a heck of a cruiser gear but the stall converter just didnt like it.  The drag radials should be mounted next weekend and then I need to get my sub frames welded in.  Next, I have got to order the CalTracs and Mono leafs or find something that might work better/cheaper.

Its been a real good day at the Sublime house.  Anyone need a great condition 323 sure grip that doenst make a lick of noise get a PM to me.  I'm sure it'll go fast.

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

RD

great to hear sub! sounded awesome, wheres the vid?  ???  :icon_smile_big:

I had 3.91's in my charger and at 55mph it was 2800 rpm  :o :icon_smile_dead: bye bye gas hehe.

oh and you got a pm hehe
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

firefighter3931

Excellent ! The 3.91-4.10's are a nice match to the TA 10in tight converter....i knew you'd like that combo.   :yesnod: The cam, converter, intake/exhaust and rear end gearing/tire diameter are all well matched for this car, i wouldn't change a thing once the 28in tires are mounted.

The 28in drag radials will knock some gear out of the final drive ratio. It will be a 3.63 final drive so your speedo will need a new gear to correct for mph and odometer. Those are ~ $10.00 at the dealer and are a snap to install.   ;) I did some cruising speed calculations using an online calculator with the 28in tire/3.91 combo :

60mph = 2800
65mph = 3050
70mph = 3280

**If you really wanted to make it a "highway star" and install a gear vendors overdrive the #'s would look like :

60mph = 2200
65mph = 2400
70mph = 2560
75mph = 2750
80mph = 2920

Nice to hear you're behaving yourself in front of all those ordinary citizens.   :devil:   Congrats Doug, it's allways nice when a plan comes together   :thumbs:

Ron

Ps. If you need a pn for the speedo gear just say the word and i'll dig it up.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

8WHEELER

I am not sure how much freeway driving you are planning on doing, but I drive mine over
a 100 miles to some car shows and I am seriously thinking of going back to my 391's now has
355's but the car really likes the 391's for sure. Anyway I am looking into the overdrive but
I would like to know how many mods I will need to do to make it work??

Sorry I don't mean to take away from your thread congrats  ;D  and I could use those 323's in
another car of mine  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

MoparYoungGun

Dan, I have a website saved on my computer that is an install of a Gear Vendors unit in a '69 Charger, I believe John Schneider's General Lee. I won't be home untill later tonight but am more than happy to post it.

SuBLimE 69

I'm gonna need that part number if you can find it !  Thx  :P

This ticket is only $69.00 ?  If I'd have known that I'd have been going FASTER !

MoparYoungGun

Oh Doug, I believe the part number of the speedo gear that you need is 2538937. I took that part number right off this section on mymopar.com, http://www.mymopar.com/speedometer.htm . Good luck :cheers: !

firefighter3931

Quote from: SuBLimE 69 on September 04, 2005, 01:51:47 PM
I'm gonna need that part number if you can find it !   Thx   :P

Here ya go buddy : 2538937

This is a 37 tooth gear and it should be white in color. This is for the 3.91/28in tire combo, btw.   ;)

Ron

Young Gun....maybe we should call you quick gun !  :icon_smile_big:
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

8WHEELER

74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

MoparYoungGun

Quote from: firefighter3931 on September 04, 2005, 02:08:52 PM
Young Gun....maybe we should call you quick gun ! :icon_smile_big:
I can see it now. QuickGun, fastest poster in the midwest :icon_smile_big: !

Quote from: 8WHEELER on September 04, 2005, 02:09:08 PM
Quote from: MoparYoungGun on September 04, 2005, 11:04:39 AM
Never mind Dan, I was able to find it. Here it is, http://www.gearvendors.com/articles/hotrod/jan03/index.html .

Great Thanks for looking that up   :scope:

Dan
No problem, glad I could help :) .

Steve P.

Sounds great Sub, I can't wait for this hot stuff to calm down here so I can get back to it myself.. It's been a very long hot summer this year..

Have you put together a spec sheet for your car yet??  I'd love to see it..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

SuBLimE 69

Quote from: 8WHEELER on September 03, 2005, 11:58:12 PM
I am not sure how much freeway driving you are planning on doing, but I drive mine over
a 100 miles to some car shows and I am seriously thinking of going back to my 391's now has
355's but the car really likes the 391's for sure. Anyway I am looking into the overdrive but
I would like to know how many mods I will need to do to make it work??

Sorry I don't mean to take away from your thread congrats   ;D   and I could use those 323's in
another car of mine   ;D

Dan

Thanks for the part #
RD has first dibs on the rear.....the 323 rear...don't get all excited !  :icon_smile_big:

GoodysGotaCUDA

Awesome! Im picking up a 3.91 clutch sure grip when im out at the Fall Fling show oct. 15th in van nuys. i CANT WAIT to get that sucker in there. Going from 2.76s to 3.91s is gonna put a huge  :icon_smile_big: on my face  :devil: