News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why do you think Barricudas are more popular?

Started by mauibarber, January 29, 2007, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauibarber

I'm a little new to the Mopar world but there is one question that I haven't been able to figure out.  I am not trying to start a fight or anything when I ask the following.  Why is it that the Barricuda and Road Runner seem to be a more popular and more expensive Mopar?  I have seen both these cars up close and I believe the Charger is a much better and mean looking car.  I just dont get it.  Is it simply a rarity issue?  Or is it based on looks?  Any thoughts?
-Alex

Lord Warlock

The Cuda's are comparable to the charger in value, the hemi cars were recognized as the smallest/sportiest package at the time to get a hemi and therefore worth a premium, that and the fact that there weren't as many hemi cuda's made as compared to hemi chargers.  The convertible hemi cudas are worth more because of the rarity.  The only roadrunners that are worth more than chargers are the limited production 440 six pack versions with the fiberglass hood.  Regular roadrunners were known to be cheaper than chargers, usually came with fewer options, and only came with a 383 magnum instead of the 440 in the R/T chargers.  And the normal roadrunners aren't usually in demand more than the charger is. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

myk

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 29, 2007, 09:37:30 PM
The Cuda's are comparable to the charger in value, the hemi cars were recognized as the smallest/sportiest package at the time to get a hemi and therefore worth a premium, that and the fact that there weren't as many hemi cuda's made as compared to hemi chargers...

That, and people have bad taste in general.  The Charger's the hotter car...

41husk

I think the fact that Plymouth is defunct now may have a little to do with it.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

BB1

That's why I have both, a Cuda and a Charger.  :icon_smile_approve:
Delete my profile

mauibarber

How do you ever get the motivation to drive the Cuda with the Charger around? 

BB1

Delete my profile

694spdRT

I am probably not in the majority but I prefer the look of a '70 Challenger over a '70 Cuda.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

tan top

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 30, 2007, 05:38:49 PM
I am probably not in the majority but I prefer the look of a '70 Challenger over a '70 Cuda.   
:iagree:  me too, for me i think it could be some thing to do with  watching the original vanishing point  so much over the years.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

4cruzin

I'd like a sweet 71 Barracuda!  Cool cars! 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Ghoste

I think it's the name.  'Cuda started as street slang from the original Barracuda and Chrylser didn't call the car a Cuda until a few years into its production.  The street rep was established then to the point that a lot of people who know nothing about cars know that Cuda is Chryslers muscle car.
I've had a bunch of Mopars over the years including E-bodies and many many times I've had people say something like "you have an old Cuda don't you?".  Even whne it was a Challenger or Charger or Road Runner or whatever.  But when I had the Cuda, I never had anyone ask if I had an old Charger.  Remember, I'm talking about the people who don't know or care about cars.  That reputation just spilled over into the modern auctiona age where a lot of people who do know a little about cars are still going by the street cred for their purchase.
That and the fact Hemi Cuda convertible just sounds so badass and they only made a handful.  let's not forget what the Hemi Cuda Super Stocks of 68 have done for that reputation too even if it is an A-body.
Just my opinion though.  ;D

Mike DC

The cars' looks alone are what boils it down to the Challenger, Cuda, Charger, and Roadrunner. 
(Don't believe me?  Okay, then how many kids & less-involved Mopar guys have ANY interest in '63-65 Max Wedges or factory altered-wheelbase cars?) 

Between those four, the fact that the rest of the Mopar hobby has always put the E-bodies on such a pedestal is probably sorta self-perpetuating the appeal at this point.  They were about as fast & good-looking as the B-bodies, but they had less size/weight and were made in smaller production numbers.

Bandit72

size of a camaro/mustang, power of a MOPAR....sounds pretty good to me.....
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

69fuchs

Quote from: Bandit72 on February 03, 2007, 05:29:07 AM
size of a camaro/mustang, power of a MOPAR....sounds pretty good to me.....

You hit it perfectly.  Cuda's are a refined and much more beautiful version of the 69 camaro.  They made 600,000 69 camaros, but cuda production was minuscule in comparison.  Supply and demand.  Chargers still rule, but I have a soft spot for those plastic interior rattle machines as well.

bordin34

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 03, 2007, 12:07:07 AM

how many kids & less-involved Mopar guys have ANY interest in '63-65 Max Wedges or factory altered-wheelbase cars?) 
At least one. I like them and im 15.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Nacho-RT74

I like Cudas but just 71... that grille and 4 beams are KILLER. I don't like Challengers, at least no like the 71 Cuda. I like more the smoother body side without the body line on Challengers.

Anyway there is several details I don't like about E bodies, like the cluster ilumination from exterior, extremelly small room on rear seat ( I mean EXTREMELLY small ). I like a lot the sound options available and the roof console on SEs I think

BTW yesterday I saw a 64 or 65 Barracuda in front of a washing car center ( I was washing my car ) close to home... did look nice, and allmost complete even needs a resto job
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Wow, can't be many of those in Venezuela.  Did you get a chance to talk to the owner Nacho?

Nacho-RT74

In Venezuela  I know FOR SURE assemblied HERE was the 66 Barracuda. I have seen around 10 of them mostly in really bad conditions. I think in fact was the only year assemblied. This 64/65 ( I have to check better the differences between them ) I saw had Kilo speedo ( unless some model had 180 miles speedo LOL ) dunno if really assemblied here or imported by a Chrysler dealer with this speedo.

Is pretty complete, just some emblems missed but allt he moldings there and in good conditions. Rear lenses some cracked, front clip complete and in good conditions. Interior needs some touchs and some arm rest are missed. Rear panels are opened to speakers. Body is painted ( white ) but looks with body filler. Some crhomed interior parts pitted but still there. Original Radio still there.

Anyway looks really nice. Probably owner lives or works around.

A friend of mine has a 340 70 Cuda, and there is a 67 Barracuda COUPE with /6 I have seen and talked with owner. That was 6 years ago or more. I have seen personally a blue 70 Chalenger with blue interior on a parking lot looong time ago COMPLETE, in easy exterior resto job conditions, but interior chalky. We have known about 5-6 E bodies here all imported.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

kamkuda

E bodies are good looking cars but that is a personal preference.  The Nash Bridges show from a couple years ago helped a bit in the popularity of the Car.  The headlines of 5 million dollar Hemi Cuda Convertibles also brings the up the appeal. ::)

Ghoste

I never knew that some of the Barracudas were assembled there.  There is sooo much about Chrysler Corporation as a global company that we don't know about.  Maybe someday there will be a truly comprehensive history of them written.

is_it_EVER_done?

Actually the answer is much simpler. As cars got smaller over the years, the Challenger/Cuda's became more popular.

In fall of 69 (when the new -70- models came out), The E-bodies were anything but popular. They did end up selling fairly well, but just like the Mustang, they were considered "girl cars" at the time, so even though some did get sold with the hemi, just as some Mustangs got sold with performance packages, it was very rare. The vast majority were economy cars.

It's a simple mater of cultural conditioning. Cars got smaller, Muscle cars ceased to exist, rarity became a valued commodity, so E-bodies became sought after and valued.

Us old guys can't fathom why, but the new breed of Chrysler enthusiast seems to like the E's best, and that's fine as it helps continue the legacy and promote the hobby, but most all of the Chrysler enthusiasts of my age don't care for them (we don't hate them, there just not a beautiful B-body).

I have no guess as to why the Cuda would be more popular than the Challenger, but I believe that the 2'nd gen Chargers are the best looking cars EVER built - bar none, so my opinion is not really un-biased.

73chgrSE

We are lucky that dodge and plymouth had so many great cars. Ford only really had a few at most and chevy a few more. But Chrysler struck gold so many times IMO.

mauibarber

I just think the Charger is so much meaner looking than the Barricuda.  The Barricuda is so much smaller.  I wonder if they made some 2nd Gen Charger Hemi convertibles (I know there was a one off made) what they would be commanding today? 
-Alex

mally69

no they never made a convertable charger     if you see on then someone  defialty  fabricated it     probably wouldnt be worth very much

Lord Warlock

nope no charger convertibles other than the one concept daytona convertible with the shortened windshield and molded in spoiler.  Any others are customs.  There are plenty of pics of it here somewhere.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: Lord Warlock on February 19, 2007, 12:09:09 PM
nope no charger convertibles other than the one concept daytona convertible with the shortened windshield and molded in spoiler.  Any others are customs.  There are plenty of pics of it here somewhere.
I have a piece of the fender of that car . The whole fender was about an 1 in. thick body putty. I use to work at the body shop that restored it. That is an awesome car.

Ghoste

Which technically wasn't a convertible but rather a two seat roadster.   ;)

Wheels of Terror

Quote from: myk on January 30, 2007, 07:06:04 AM
Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 29, 2007, 09:37:30 PM
The Cuda's are comparable to the charger in value, the hemi cars were recognized as the smallest/sportiest package at the time to get a hemi and therefore worth a premium, that and the fact that there weren't as many hemi cuda's made as compared to hemi chargers...

That, and people have bad taste in general.  The Charger's the hotter car...

True Dat'!! ;D
1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger

Wheels of Terror

1999 Pontiac Trans Am
1982 KARR Knight Rider Replica
2009 Dodge Avenger
Looking for another Third Gen Charger