News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you make out of this nonsense....? 304 Mile Daytona. 675k FIRM! lol

Started by Charger Aficionado, January 29, 2007, 05:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

What in the HAPPY HORSE_TRASH is going-on here?  Just an outright fraud or rare '70 Daytona...? 

**Inactive Link Removed**

Has Daytona flush-mounted window...

WRONG color ('70 color)... 

Has '70 style VIN sticker w/ '69 VIN number:  XX29L9B 400566   9/69  (but in WRONG font isn't it?)...  (wouldn't they think buyer would cross-check that sticker w/ Vin on dash)???  I don't get it.

'70 Steering wheel...

Look at the decklid hinge on right (looks like hinge on 500 SE):

**Inactive Link Removed**

mikepmcs

Jude,
I don't know about all that other stuff, but I saw that car on ebay about 2 years ago with the same pictures  as this ad.  I want to remember saying the car said it was repainted in the original description.  I remember thinking 304 miles and repainted???  I'm sure it's just another scam, but i don't know anything except what i learn here about what to look for on daytona's, 500's, etc.....

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemigeno

It's a 100% legit car, although I'll refrain from making editorial comments about the asking price...  Elmer D.'s car, he's had it since new.

Here is a long thread about this same car:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,9973.0.html

mikepmcs

I stand corrected and retract my "it's a scam comment."   Please forgive my ignorance :icon_smile_blackeye:
I was right in remembering the paint thing though :icon_smile_big:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Aero426

The small town Wisconsin Dodge dealer painted the car Limelight shortly after it arrived on the lot.  They felt it had to be painted a bright color to sell it. 

The dealer pushed the car to the back of the lot in the winter of 1969-70.   It wasn't sold until the spring of 1970. 

It's had the same owner since then.   About 100 of the miles on it were put on driving it from the dealership to the owners home.    It's had one additional Limelight repaint. 

Charger Aficionado

Crazy story.  What is the deal with the Sticker then?

I had a feeling it had some Legit Daytona qualities, (why I posted).   I couldn't see rear window trim from TINY pics... 

THE CHARGER PUNK

looks like an original x9 daytona that was color changed when relatively new :yesnod:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 29, 2007, 02:51:00 PM
looks like an original x9 daytona that was color changed when relatively new :yesnod:
How did you ever come to that conclusion? :ahum: :crazy:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemigeno

Quote from: Charger Aficionado on January 29, 2007, 02:28:37 PM
Crazy story.  What is the deal with the Sticker then?

I had a feeling it had some Legit Daytona qualities, (why I posted).   I couldn't see rear window trim from TINY pics... 

Daytonas did have the VIN sticker - at least a good number of them did.  There still isn't a consensus of opinion about who put the sticker on the door, but my best guess is that Creative Industries put it on there.  The font is always different on a Daytona sticker (almost certainly a special run just for those cars) than what you see on a 1970 model year version, which is probably what's throwing you for a loop.

I might be missing something, but I thought that the steering wheel on the car was correct for '69?  That's what's on my car, right down to the moulding lines on the horn pad.

:shruggy:

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: hemigeno on January 29, 2007, 04:13:37 PM
I might be missing something, but I thought that the steering wheel on the car was correct for '69?  That's what's on my car, right down to the moulding lines on the horn pad.
:shruggy:
Well for what it's worth:  Of all the cars I've had that horn pad was 90% of the time was in '70's.  It's certainly a late '69 deal if it WAS on '69s...  I didn't see them un-molested, so I wouldn't know...

I do see dark paint under Sublime, but it could be F8 as far as anyone could tell... 

This car (if low-mile legit), is an AWESOME piece of history just as it sits.  Awesome color!

hemi68charger

Jude...

The steering wheel is a '69.. It's just like Dana's.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Elmers car is definately a time capsule. Yeah its been repainted, but its legit, and gorgeous. I don't care for the color myself, but its a very very very low mileage car. And its definately not one that has had the miles rolled back.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

thats true, but would you paint it back to X9 or leave it the way it has been since practically new?

Ghoste

I think after this much time and with that mileage and the circumstances regarding the repaint, you'd have to consider Limelight as the real color now.  Just one mans little opinion though.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on January 29, 2007, 07:40:57 PM
thats true, but would you paint it back to X9 or leave it the way it has been since practically new?

If I was asked, it would definitely be painted black........... again.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

If it needed paint, going back to black makes sense.   The paint that's on it was done in the late 70's. and still looks very nice in person.  I saw the car two years ago and wouldn't touch it myself.  It's part of the cars story and makes it unusual.   

69_500

Personally I'm like Troy though I'd take it to black, due to personally I think that a Black Daytona is the best looking one's. But with this car its been this color since the day it was purchased, so I'd leave it that color until it needed paint then go back to black.

tan top

difficult  choice :-\  ,  i think if it was still in its first sublime paint job , applied by the selling dealer , then i think leave it as it is . but it had  second one later on , so it is not the original dealer applied green , ( i think i know what i am trying to say, still half a sleep though :confused: :sleep:) so then i would put it back to  X9 . although 304 mile time capsule it has had a none factory paint job . :confused:   . sorry guys  i am i know were i am trying to go with this  , but written down it seems confusing :ahum:  . 

:leaving:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: tan top on January 31, 2007, 04:00:21 AM
difficult  choice :-\  ,  i think if it was still in its first sublime paint job , applied by the selling dealer , then i think leave it as it is . but it had  second one later on , so it is not the original dealer applied green , ( i think i know what i am trying to so , still half a sleep though :confused: :sleep:) so then i would put it back to  X9 . although 304 mile time capsule it has had a none factory paint job . :confused:   . sorry guys  i am i know were i am trying to go with this  , but written down it seems confusing :ahum:  . 

The original sublime paint job was honestly, a quickie job.     In fact, what the dealer did for the D-A-Y-T-O-N-A  stripe lettering was go down to the hardware store and get adhesive mailbox letters with a white background.   They didn't bother to order a rear stripe, and I think the nose gasket was painted.   So I can see why he wanted it painted again pretty early on.  The paint that is on the car is now closing in on THIRTY years old and looks good. 

hotrod98

If I had the car it would definitely go back black. Then that would part of my history with the car. After all, we don't really own any of these cars. We're all just temporary caretakers.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

tan top

Quote from: DougSchellinger on January 31, 2007, 10:47:10 AM
Quote from: tan top on January 31, 2007, 04:00:21 AM
difficult  choice :-\  ,  i think if it was still in its first sublime paint job , applied by the selling dealer , then i think leave it as it is . but it had  second one later on , so it is not the original dealer applied green , ( i think i know what i am trying to so , still half a sleep though :confused: :sleep:) so then i would put it back to  X9 . although 304 mile time capsule it has had a none factory paint job . :confused:   . sorry guys  i am i know were i am trying to go with this  , but written down it seems confusing :ahum:  . 

The original sublime paint job was honestly, a quickie job.     In fact, what the dealer did for the D-A-Y-T-O-N-A  stripe lettering was go down to the hardware store and get adhesive mailbox letters with a white background.   They didn't bother to order a rear stripe, and I think the nose gasket was painted.   So I can see why he wanted it painted again pretty early on.  The paint that is on the car is now closing in on THIRTY years old and looks good. 
                   :eek:  i did not realise it  was  THAT   sort of  repaint :rotz: .  thinking  about it some more ... yep  :yesnod: may be it should be kept  sublime . :yesnod:  .  i can't remember but was there any written info from the dealer. i know the car is legit , not doubting thing , just  curious / intrested  :yesnod: .  not a wing car but i read about  a smiler debate over a A4 69 R/T SE years back  that was in dealer applied  sublime.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

Aero426

Here is some interesting reading and photos regarding the 304 mile Daytona on the Daytona Superbird Auto Club website.  I have also added a couple of new articles on the "What's New" page. 

http://www.superbirdclub.com/elmer.html

mikepmcs

cool story for sure.  I know if i had the cash i would own it tomorrow....and i would keep it green.
it wouldn't have 304 miles on it anymore though cause i'd drive the heck out of it. wait, maybe i shouldn't own it, it probably belongs at the Smithsonian.
v/r
Mike