News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tach causing battery to go dead

Started by BronzeOnSteelies, January 17, 2007, 07:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BronzeOnSteelies

My tich toc tach works, the clock has a quartz movement and works now too. However

when the 2 wires running to the tach are hooked up the battery on the car will go dead overnight.

The top terminal on the tach is the cuprit wire which I determined from using a test light at the battery.

Does this necassarily mean a problem with an open circuit in the tach or could it be the wire that connects to that terminal. I have a multi meter but do not know how to test the wire or tach.
68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

charger Downunder

New tac or old one have you got the tac wired up right i did mine the other week,the tac shouldnt have power when the ignition is off, if i remember corectly i put mine to accesory on the fuse box.
[/quote]

71_deputy

clock get battery power all the time.

tach only gets power when the ign is on or running!!!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

BronzeOnSteelies

Guys it is an old tach, I will have to check where the power is coming from per your suggestions.

Thanks

Mark

BronzeOnSteelies

I haven't traced the power to the tach yet but I hooked it back up and it does draw 12 Volts with the car off. So you guys were right. I need to run a wire from an accessory circuit.

Thanks

Mark

71_deputy

have fun mark- find the radio red wire and splice it there!!!
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van