News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cracks in lifter valley?

Started by Bandit72, January 31, 2007, 04:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

finished tearing down my 230 "cold" block afew days ago and noticed afew small "cracks" along the passenger side lifter valley (more like right along the lifters) they are not deep at all. A buddy of mine says it looks like a casting flaw, could this be or is it something i should have checked out?

Thanks Ryan
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

max

i would have it checked before i built it, that way you aren't throwing good money at a bad block.

Steve P.

Quote from: max on January 31, 2007, 01:03:38 PM
i would have it checked before i built it, that way you aren't throwing good money at a bad block.

I could not agree more....     :iagree:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Bandit72

man, you guys got me scared now....i guess i'll get a good machine shop tracked down and have them checked out, i might throw some pics up here tonight just so you guys can see too...

later

Bandit72

here are the pics, sorry for the bad quality but my camera sucks bad...they actually look alot deeper in the pics than they actually are...i'm really hoping this block isn't toast as the rest of it is very nice....this is just as i tore it apart, no cleaning has been done as of yet....

Bandit72

Bandit72

:-\

Steve P.

Chances are that is a crappy cast. I've seen worse.. It's hard to really see anything in the pics as the flash is giving us some overkill off all the oil. Try washing down the oil with Alcohol , or carb cleaner, or brake cleaner and dry the area before taking the pics. You should be able to see much better what is what.

Just the same. I would never just slap a motor together without giving it propper machine work. It;s not worth the money you stand to lose. Take it to the machine shop and have them tell you exactly what is what.. :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Bandit72

would this be fixable if it does turn out to be a major problem?

Steve P.

Quote from: Bandit72 on February 01, 2007, 02:45:57 PM
would this be fixable if it does turn out to be a major problem?

Again, that is something best asked of your machine shop.  Seeing something in person and looking at distorted pictures leaves allllllot of room for error.

It is in your best interest to take it to a reputable machine shop and have them take a good look at it. Chances are it is just a casting fart. Let's hope it is and isn't too deep.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Rolling_Thunder

my guess would be it is a very shitty casting on the block - we had a 440 block in with similar "cracks" and it turned out to a casting problem - the engine is alive and well making 464rwhp...     no problems in over a year... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

that looks like the drivers side of the block , generally the worst side for craking is th epasenger side as the cam rotates cloclwise & pushes the lifter bores away from the cylinder bores on high lift cams with increased spring loads