News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6-pack scoop on 69, do or don't? pic included

Started by CB, January 25, 2007, 03:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love the look of a 6-pack scoop on a 2nd gen. What about you?

cool! a 'yes'
21 (52.5%)
mmm, I dunno,...have to get used to it
2 (5%)
nope, it kills the line
17 (42.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

CB

I love it :D
(thanks whoever the owner is for using your pic)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PocketThunder

i would have to get used to it.  If i were to do that i would fill in the depressions in the hood so that it is completely flat except for the six pack set up.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

MorePwr

I'll be installing a taller one soon. had to cut a hole in the old one, for the new motor. :2thumbs:great look!

Ghoste

That's one I can't seem to get used to.  It would have been nice to see some type of fresh air setup offered though.  The trap door style air grabbers of the 70-71 models would have been ideal IMO.

jasonfromIKILLYA

yeah, I don't know about that.  I much prefer either having the engine out of the hood or just a bulge.  I don't really like the open scoop look on those big flat hoods.
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein

terrible one

I for one really like the look of the 6-pack scoop on a 2nd gen Charger. I'm contemplating selling my nice original hood and buying a fiberglass one with that scoop.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I like it as well :thumbs:

Here are a few pics of Brian Shaunagassy's ride :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

how about a twin scoop comming up from where the hood depressions are?  Something similar to what the Darts had?  Anyone follow?

I wish i had photoshop skills..  where is ds440........... >>> me heading to off topic :smoke:.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

is_it_EVER_done?

In my opinion they don't look good and really detract from the lines, but with that said, I was going to use one on a spare hood so I could use a killer set of heads and Indy intake that I have, and should be good for about 100 HP over the ported Eddies/SD combo.

Unfortunately, after doing some research, it seems that the 6-pack style scoop itself (at least on a Charger) will reduce power (at high speeds) by more than the 100 HP I could gain, due to the aerodynamics of the Charger.

Using a vacuum gauge with both a stock and 6-pack scooped hood, at various points in the opening and underhood showed a negative pressure (w/scoop) at speeds over about 80 MPH, and if the scoop is sealed against the carb, the pressure reduction can approach 8 inches of vacuum! Kind of like a negative supercharger, or the difference between power at Sea Level and Denver (just an example - not intended to be accurate).

It became obvious why you don't see many 10 second Chargers as they don't make very good drag cars. So I decided that since the scoop is unattractive on a Charger, and the car would probably be about the same from a speed/quickness standpoint, It is better to keep the good looks and achieve similar speed results with more street friendly parts.

My 2 cents worth at least.

Khyron

Do it and love it :D

It's going on mine, but then again, i'm not building a 10 sec Charger anyways  :icon_smile_big:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

MorePwr

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on January 25, 2007, 07:57:19 PM

Unfortunately, after doing some research, it seems that the 6-pack style scoop itself (at least on a Charger) will reduce power (at high speeds) by more than the 100 HP I could gain, due to the aerodynamics of the Charger.

please, show us this research.....sounds interesting. :popcrn:

nakita7

MorePwr

Quote from: nakita7 on January 25, 2007, 09:12:01 PM
IMHO, it looks retarded, sorry....

ouch! that's kinda harsh, but ok. it's your opinion.

you posted elswhere that you like the six pack scoop, so I suppose just not on a charger. What then do you suggest for a lid on a tall engine build? there aren't too many options out there, and even fewer Mopar.

Brock Samson

i like the chally style six-pack scoop but both Tom "Me First"  (who custom built his taller than normal) and Brians'  look great to my eye...
there's a Dick Landy '69 super stock racer pic somewhere with the chally T/A style scoop.  :yesnod:

rare69

I'm sorry but i just dont like it! dont get me wrong, i love the scoop. it looks very good on certain cars, like darts, dusters and A12 cars but it distracts too much from the beautiful sleek lines of second gen chargers. and thats what originally turned me on in the first place. if you really need the clearance, I would like to see a cowl induction style hood on a charger. just to see.

firefighter3931

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on January 25, 2007, 07:57:19 PM

It became obvious why you don't see many 10 second Chargers as they don't make very good drag cars. So I decided that since the scoop is unattractive on a Charger, and the car would probably be about the same from a speed/quickness standpoint, It is better to keep the good looks and achieve similar speed results with more street friendly parts.

My 2 cents worth at least.

I beg to differ.....having seen lots of 6-pack scooped chargers in the 10's i'd say they work pretty good.  ;)

The 1st car pictured below is an all steel 68 R/T with a 528 wedge. The car weighs 3900 with driver and has run a best of 9.90 on all motor.  :icon_smile_big:

The 2nd car is another 68 that runs a pump gas 572hemi and clicked off an 8.99 pass last fall !  :devil:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Lord Warlock

The scoop looks great on 2nd gen chargers.  But for a few purists, the thought of adding anything to a stock hood is abhorrent to us.  I for one would have no problem in adding a fiberglass hood/scoop to my car (and may do so one day) but I won't be modifying the stock hood in any way, it is far more important to keep it stock.  In my case the metal bar that the bolts screw into from the hood springs (on one side) came loose inside the frame of the hood itself, and will require me to take it to a shop to weld it back in place.  As a temporary fix, I'd get a lift off hood/scoop with hood pins and use that till i get the stocker fixed. 

Either way, it looks good on the car. 
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

is_it_EVER_done?

"please, show us this research.....sounds interesting."

I guess my use of the word "research" is missleading. I should have said "Hack testing", as I am certainly not an authority on aerodynamics, nor would any test I do be considered scientific. Needless to say I can't possibly provide empirical data to back up my claims as I only do "bizarre" tests like this to satisfy my own curiosity, or verify (in my mind) something I have observed, or need to know. So I have nothing more than my observations/recollections to offer.

I can provide a bit more detail for what it's worth, and offer a bit more explanation if it helps. First, I am anything but an authority on aerodynamics, but I do have an understanding, so the shape/curvature of a Charger hood is immediately suspect as it is more like a wing than - let's say a Road Runner hood. Logic said that as speed increased, the laminar flow of air would rise above any realistic scoop opening. That, and the knowledge experience that 2nd Gen Chargers don't respond much (unlike some cars) to substantive power increases, and the knowledge that the cars were found to be highly flawed on the NASCAR tracks which was determined by the factory to be due to the tunnel back window (which created a negative pressure area), and the fact that the cowl didn't produce anywhere near the positive pressure that the earlier "square" cars did (this is where the NASCAR cars pulled the intake air from), which is why the 500's, Daytonas, and Superbirds had flush rear windows, and long noses, so as to alter the airflow, and positive/negative pressure areas.

So the effectiveness of a scoop on an un-altered Charger was suspect, which led me to do the tests I did. Though I'm not scientific, I am willing to bet that my results are somewhat close to what a true data logging/recorded - wind tunnel test series would uncover. But it is only my HACK observation, that I point out for the information/entertainment of others.

C500

"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Mefirst

Well if some of you think a Six-Pack scoop looks bad, then what about this then???

Personally I do think the Six-Pack scoop looks right on a Charger :2thumbs:

/Tom

MorePwr

Quote from: rare69 on January 25, 2007, 10:53:57 PM
I'm sorry but i just dont like it! dont get me wrong, i love the scoop. it looks very good on certain cars, like darts, dusters and A12 cars but it distracts too much from the beautiful sleek lines of second gen chargers. and thats what originally turned me on in the first place. if you really need the clearance, I would like to see a cowl induction style hood on a charger. just to see.

What!! a cheby scoop!!!!

MorePwr

Quote from: is_it_EVER_done? on January 26, 2007, 01:36:43 AM
"please, show us this research.....sounds interesting."

I guess my use of the word "research" is missleading. I should have said "Hack testing", as I am certainly not an authority on aerodynamics, nor would any test I do be considered scientific. Needless to say I can't possibly provide empirical data to back up my claims as I only do "bizarre" tests like this to satisfy my own curiosity, or verify (in my mind) something I have observed, or need to know. So I have nothing more than my observations/recollections to offer.

I can provide a bit more detail for what it's worth, and offer a bit more explanation if it helps. First, I am anything but an authority on aerodynamics, but I do have an understanding, so the shape/curvature of a Charger hood is immediately suspect as it is more like a wing than - let's say a Road Runner hood. Logic said that as speed increased, the laminar flow of air would rise above any realistic scoop opening. That, and the knowledge experience that 2nd Gen Chargers don't respond much (unlike some cars) to substantive power increases, and the knowledge that the cars were found to be highly flawed on the NASCAR tracks which was determined by the factory to be due to the tunnel back window (which created a negative pressure area), and the fact that the cowl didn't produce anywhere near the positive pressure that the earlier "square" cars did (this is where the NASCAR cars pulled the intake air from), which is why the 500's, Daytonas, and Superbirds had flush rear windows, and long noses, so as to alter the airflow, and positive/negative pressure areas.

So the effectiveness of a scoop on an un-altered Charger was suspect, which led me to do the tests I did. Though I'm not scientific, I am willing to bet that my results are somewhat close to what a true data logging/recorded - wind tunnel test series would uncover. But it is only my HACK observation, that I point out for the information/entertainment of others.

Wow that's cool, what type of equipment did you use to measure vacuum in an open air environment? thats some some pretty sophiscated gear. (edited for clarity...My good pal Jack helped me write this lastnight) ;)

tan top

:-\   second generations look awesome with the six pack  &  awesome without  :yesnod:  ,    :shruggy: sorry dude i am of no help am i . but if i was using my charger for 1/4 mile , i would get a fiberglass  pin on six pack style for it . no Clarence issues then with different intake combinations plus  as we all know the advantage of cold air . still keeping the stock hood .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

six-tee-nine

On a RR or bee's hood it looks great but a charger hood i would leave alone......

Heck a charger looks mean enough already don't ya think?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

CB

the scoop idea wasn't really related to clearance, I run a stock 383.
Hood pins are also a yummie detail in my book.
Thanks for posting some cool pix guys.
And keep your comment/votes comming :)
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

41husk

I like the scoop, I guess it's each to his own.  I like a go wing on all the 3rd gens even though they only came on the 71.  I will have one on my 73, and I'm sure some one will inform me that a 73 never had a wing or a air grabber hood, and someone else will inform me it looks rertarded.  I still will like it!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikepmcs

I think it's awesome looking and couple that with a pinned hood!! :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

After all, a hood can easily be replaced back to stock if you ever get tired of it.  I say go for it. 
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

MorePwr

Quote from: Mefirst on January 26, 2007, 04:12:53 AM
Well if some of you think a Six-Pack scoop looks bad, then what about this then???

Personally I do think the Six-Pack scoop looks right on a Charger :2thumbs:

/Tom

Dang Tom, That snorkel is the bigest I've see :2thumbs: Betcha it'll make an extra 100hp :lol: Love the hand built siX pack. it looks great  :yesnod:

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Mefirst on January 26, 2007, 04:12:53 AM

HOLY CRAP!! :o     :smilielol:

I don't think the 6-Pak scoop looks bad, I do agree with Strat though, the Chally T/A scoop looks SWEET on a Charger! :yesnod: I wish I had a pic. :-[

This Superbee scoop looks great too, but it's a tad harder to make it look like it belongs there. :icon_smile_tongue:

Local car...

Of course, nobody can argue that this scoop looks bad! :icon_smile_evil:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

CB

the T/A kinda scoop on a 69...  :-\  , sure looks different
thanks for the pics Chargerfan  :icon_smile_approve:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

PocketThunder

On second thought i think i like the 6-pack hood.   :D

MorePwr

Quote from: PocketThunder on January 26, 2007, 01:04:38 PM
On second thought i think i like the 6-pack hood.   :D

What hood........oh ! there it is :icon_smile_tongue:

4forty

Like them alot on 2nd gens!...........veddy nice.

jasonfromIKILLYA

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 26, 2007, 11:40:59 AM

This Superbee scoop looks great too, but it's a tad harder to make it look like it belongs there. :icon_smile_tongue:

now see, if you ask me, THAT is beautiful!  It doesn't stick up too far and break the flow of the car; it sits down nice and mean.  I'm all about that!!
"Great souls have always received violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Einstein