News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some pics from "back in the day"

Started by MichaelRW, January 24, 2007, 12:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelRW

I was going thru some old photos and found these I thought you guys might like to see. Nostalgia stuff. Sorry for the quality as they are pictures of pictures that were originally made from slides. I chose to post them here instead of General discussion since they are not all Charger specific.

Picture 0093 is taken at Michigan International Speedway in July of 1970. It's a picture of a driver named Joe ? and his 1970 Charger. This event was called picture day and fans were allowed to go into the infield and mix with the drivers, race cars and girls. See how times have changed as I doubt that would ever happen now.

Picture 0094 is more race cars and an attractive lady that had something to do with the race. Can't remember what though.

Picture 0095 is more race cars and a shot of a '71 custom Charger from the '71 Detroit Auto Show. I met Phyllis George (Miss America) there but can't find those pictures. Dang!
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

tan top

good pictures  :yesnod:   thanks for posting them :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

hemigeno

Awesome pictures!  Thanks for posting them - that must have been cool to have been there at the race, much less to have the chance to wander around on pit row like that. 

That first driver (with the cowboy hat) is Joe Frasson.  Quite the unique/free-spirited driver in his day, and he is still pretty much the same nowadays from what I hear.  I'm thinking that if those pictures were taken at Michigan, it had to be the June, 1971 Michigan race (the Motor State 400).  Joe drove a '70 Charger in both Michigan races that year, finishing 15th on 6/13/71, and 5th  :o  in the August 15, 1971 Yankee 400 race.  At all the 1970 Michigan races, Joe drove the #18 '69 Daytona.

FWIW, the #5 car is the 1970 Chevelle of Ron Grana, who started 28th and finished 14th, right ahead of Joe Frasson that day.  Also, you can just barely see the nose of Bobby Isaac's #71 Charger (who finished second in the race) lined up right behind Joe's car.  They must not have lined the cars up in their qualifying order for the photo deal.  I don't recognize the pink nose of the car right behind Grana, but I think it's a '69 Ford.  Other cars in the shots you posted:

#78 (in the background, behind the Joe Frasson car) is just a spectator's car on the infield parking lot painted/decaled up like a stock car
#47 (in front of the Grana #5 car) - Raymond Williams, '71 Ford, started 23rd, finished 35th
#8 - Ed Negre, '69 Ford, started 40th, finished 23rd
#76 - Ben Arnold, '69 Ford, started 18th, finished 11th
#4 - John Sears, '69 Dodge Coronet/SuperBee, started 34th, finished 36th

Geno

hemigeno

Oh, and I'll move this over into General Discussion.  The subject doesn't have to be exclusively about Chargers to go in there.

:cheers:

MichaelRW

Wow! Thanks Geno, you have really filled in the blanks. I was somewhat guessing at the date the photos were taken so I'm sure you are correct. FWIW I stated the event was picture day, after posting I remembered it was called camera day.

THE CHARGER PUNK

anymore pics of that 71 charger? looks cool with the paint and those turbine lookin rims :yesnod:

MichaelRW

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on January 24, 2007, 03:52:04 PM
anymore pics of that 71 charger? looks cool with the paint and those turbine lookin rims :yesnod:

I wish I did but that is the only one. The paint, I believe, was a pearl type paint which was very rare back then. With the digital cameras today it is nothing to take hundreds of photos. Back then it was constantly in your mind what developing film was going to cost.

To you young guys: take lots of pictures, years down the road you will be glad you did.  :yesnod:

472 R/T SE

Definitely great pix.  Thanks for sharing.

The '70 Charger's gap is closed between the bumper and fender, odd but I'm sure there's a reason.

MichaelRW

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 24, 2007, 05:03:16 PM

The '70 Charger's gap is closed between the bumper and fender, odd but I'm sure there's a reason.

Yeah, where's that black rubber strip?

Mike DC

Those cars look SO badass!  I love the raked stance, the huge tires, the rake, the visible rollbars . . .   

----------------------------------------------------

I'd love to see the cut-larger front wheewells showing up on NASCAR street replicas, but the trouble is that nobody ever wants to cut out a remotely-workable Charger fender anymore.  (And I don't blame them.) 

Maybe we'll see some larger wheels/wheelwells on NASCAR replicas when we eventually get repro front fenders.

hemigeno

I didn't even notice the "For Sale" lettering on Joe Frasson's sail panel...   :laugh:

rt green

hot pants and white long boots. dont see that anymore. i bet she has NO tatoos
third string oil changer

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 24, 2007, 05:03:16 PM

I wonder if they were trying to improve the aero of the car by cleaning it up a bit?

Cool pics!

BBD