News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Correct paint marks for '68 front suspension

Started by histoy, January 21, 2007, 01:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

histoy

Does anyone have an illustration of the correct paint marks for the front suspension of a '68 Charger RT?  I've got one picture from the Legendary Motorcar Co. site that shows yellow on the castle nuts for the steering components and a large orange circle above the front castle nut on the steering knuckles.   Are there others?   What about the markings for the torsion bars?   I'd appreciate any info you can provide....Brian

resq302

Brian,

I have seen torsion bars have paint marking designating what size they were.  I think it was in a Mopar magazine as to which color meant what but I can't recall which magazine it was at this time.  As for the yellow paint on the castle nuts, I think that started in 69 as I remember reading an article where a big time Chrysler exec. was taking a wing car off of the car carrier to show the St. Louis assembly plant the wing cars and when he was driving it, one of the tie rods fell off because the castle nut was not tightened properly.  After that, he required them to be cotter pinned and yellow inspection paint put on them.  Again, this is only going by what I read in that article.  As for the rest of the markings, I would go to big scale car shows like the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) as they have concours quality cars there with all the kinds of markings and tags that you would be looking for.

There is also a guy in Canada by the name of Sylvain who restores mopars.  You can try to contact him.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

Quote from: resq302 on January 21, 2007, 01:55:55 PM
Brian,

I have seen torsion bars have paint marking designating what size they were.  I think it was in a Mopar magazine as to which color meant what but I can't recall which magazine it was at this time.  As for the yellow paint on the castle nuts, I think that started in 69 as I remember reading an article where a big time Chrysler exec. was taking a wing car off of the car carrier to show the St. Louis assembly plant the wing cars and when he was driving it, one of the tie rods fell off because the castle nut was not tightened properly.  After that, he required them to be cotter pinned and yellow inspection paint put on them.  Again, this is only going by what I read in that article.  As for the rest of the markings, I would go to big scale car shows like the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) as they have concours quality cars there with all the kinds of markings and tags that you would be looking for.

There is also a guy in Canada by the name of Sylvain who restores mopars.  You can try to contact him.

Brian

A picture is word a thousand words.

In other words Brian, post some pics of your award winner!   :yesnod:

histoy

Here is a picture of the engine.  It's not entirely correct, but I'm working on it this winter.   If it posts OK, I'll send a couple more....Brian

histoy

histoy

histoy

resq302

Mike.... you want me to give away all of my secrets???  Ha ha. :nana: :nono:  I still have to get a chance to take some updated pictures of the under carriage and do what I did with the interior and engine compartment topic that I started.  Right now with the new baby, there is hardly any time aside from trying to get my trim rings back to the way they were new.  Hopefully soon.

By the way Histoy, very nice ride.  Drop me a PM with your email address so I can try and send you some old pictures of my undercarriage.

Brian
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

OttawaCharger

I'm just taking mine apart now and found this mark on the driver's side.  Hope it helps.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

histoy

Thanks OttawaCharger.   Please let me know if you discover any more...

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

histoy

Thanks Rolling Thunder.  Your suspension looks excellent!   What year is your car?   Are the blue paint marks on the top A arm, driver's side, duplicated on the passenger side, or are they yellow like the other markings shown? 
Thanks again for the pictures...Brian

bill440rt

Hi histoy,
Not to hijack, but I'd be very careful with these paint marks. Not every car had the same marks, some may even had NONE. It all depended on what the assembly line worker was doing that day.
Even different plants used different colors. That orange lower control arm marking that OttowaCharger posted was BLUE on my car. The front suspension didn't have nearly as many marks I've seen on some other cars, including the pics that Rolling_Thunder posted (suspension looks SUPERB, BTW!!!!!). My rear axle also had a few marks that others haven't seen before.

Rule of thumb is, duplicate whatever marks you might find. Don't just put a paint daub somewhere because it's "supposed" to be there.  :Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Just 6T9 CHGR

The pics that Rolling Thunder posted were from a '70 model.  Like Bill stated not all cars had the exact same marks

The above pics are a good refrence as to what "could" have been there...possibly
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

GREAT eye, Chris! I just noticed the sway bar brackets...
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

gtx6970

You should be using the car your working on as reference , Use all others as an example  ONLY. trust me No 2 cars are exactly alike.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on January 23, 2007, 09:58:37 AM
GREAT eye, Chris! I just noticed the sway bar brackets...

Not really Bill....I just remembered that I posted those pics a while ago ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

yeah - 70 front end - (notice sway bar)

I am currently disassembling my front end however...    and some of the marking are there...     made notes (didnt have my camera on me)

MARKS that were there:
orange on T-bar adjusters
stripes on T bars
yellow streak on gear box
blue dabs on tie rod sleeves (center)
Blue dabs (3) on centerlink
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip