News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which sand blaster to buy?

Started by AirborneSilva, January 14, 2007, 12:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

Larry, the cheap nozzles that came with my blaster don't have markings on them so I don't know what sizes I have.  As for my compressor, I have a 190 hp compressor  :icon_smile_big: it's connected to my jeep.  My setup is a York 210 compressor, I have between 5 & 7 gallons of reserve air volume (which I know is my down fall there).  I do have an oil seperator on the setup, then I have a filter/regulator then the blaster has it's own water seperator so I think I'm pretty safe from water and oil contamination.  I know that a dedicated compressor like a 5 hp 220 volt with a 60 gallon tank would be ideal but it's what I have for the time being.

Roscoe, I wish I could have a setup like that and know that it is ideal and the safest way to go but for now, like my compressor it's what I have.  But please don't think I don't appreciate you looking out for a brother  :yesnod:

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on January 14, 2007, 04:48:50 PM
I guys , most of you know me , but for those who don't ,I do powdercoating and auto restoration . Here a few pics of my sandblasting equipment . For large items I have a 12x20 poly building and a 200 pound pressure blaster, supplying air is a  Ingersol Rand , three cylinder diesel duetz,the thing just showed up in my yard one sunday , what can I say I live in N.J ! For smaller items I made the front part of a truck body a blast cabinet out of plate steel , it has a tapered bottom, I only use aluminum oxide in there , very little dust , in fact I still have the same media going on 6 years . The other photo is of my harbor freight 7.5 2 stage comp linked to a harbor freight air chiller , for those of you who don't know , it brings air temp down to 35 degrees , therefore reducing moisture . If anybody has any questions on blasting or what works , I am willing to help . Larry O
Now THAT is a compressor! Make mine look so... inadequate.

I have been wondering about blast media for a while too. The only stuff I have now are glass beads which came with my cabinet - I've never used it. I guess I need to hunt down a concrete place - $4.50 sounds like it would be right up my alley.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

ONE WORD , VOLUME , AND YOU HAVE NONE . MIN WOULD BE A 5 HP COMP , THAT IS AT THE BOTTOM FOR SURE . .....................

AirborneSilva

Sounds like I need to see if I can't find me some old tank to rig up for extra volume then.  Thanks Larry

daytonalo

Just go to harbor freight , 7.5 hp 1300.00

AirborneSilva

:haha: God bless you Larry, I wish I had the money for that.  I am literally saving my change to rebuild this car.  Hopefully when the wife comes out of retirement that will change but for the time being this is my reality.  Homedepot has a 5 hp, 60 gallon compressor for $399, I wish I could buy that!

EDIT:  I just came back from Home Depot (had to get some wire to pull the rear window out), I made a mistake, the compressor for $399 is not 5 hp, it's 7 hp....

daytonalo

Look in paper for a used one , post an ad in craigs list for a commercial grade comp , there are guys out there who refit gas stations and sell that kind of stuff all the time . Craigs list is free .