News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

i need info on gas shocks, air shocks, and all other shocks.

Started by chargercalvin, January 20, 2007, 09:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargercalvin

i just fitted my 72 charger with wide wheels and tires on the back. they stick out an inch past the wheelwell and only provide 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the tire and the wheelwell chrome.  if i hit a speed bump the tires would hit the outer wheelwell chrome, so what do i do? the charger has the stock cushy suspension.  I want a cheap solution, a bandaid.  I was thinking about getting some new shocks. they need to be adjustable, can you help me out. i asked the guy at advanced auto and he said i needed air shocks and the cheapest ones were 90 bucks a pop. that is to much.  i want to spend the least amount of money possible.  what is the deal with gas shocks? can they be adjusted like air shocks? what do i need? is their any way to stiffen the shocks i have? i know you can make it so the shocks stiffen completely, but than it is like driving a go-cart. and would that even be practical if i kept the front shocks cushy? is a there another cheap way besides shocks. i wont buy SS springs, to expensive.  and i wont cut my rear 1/4s or buy new wheels. i wont to spend almost nothing what are my options? let me know if you know of some cheap shocks somewhere.

thanks,
Calvin

bordin34

Do you have any junkyards nearby? You could just find a mopar with air shocks and take them.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Silver R/T

air shocks are cheap, you can pick up a set for rear at napa for less than $50
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemihead

Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

Mike DC

The shock absorber mounting points on these cars were not designed to handle vehicle weight loads at all.  (Do people lift cars with air shocks all the time anyway? Of course.   And lots of people also drive around with barely-functioning brakes on their cars too.  That doesn't make it a good idea.)   A pair of air shocks tubed up  together will also have issues with the air shifting from side-to-side during cornering, and that's not good at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Stick longer shackles onto the car's rear leaf springs to raise it up a few inches.  (Remember that raising the car an inch higher at the shackle will only raise the wheels half that much.)  Or else you could also bolt on some cheapo "helper leaves" behind the axle to stiffen up the existing springs.

Either way, do the lifting with the leaf springs rather than the shocks. 

hemihead

In my state a car with Extended Shackles won't pass Safety Inspection.I agree Air Shocks aren't good on the upper shock mounts and they throw off handling.Also you tend to get a "tramp" sometimes will traveling down the road.The best way is to go with new springs with an overarch or helper leafs as mentioned.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

bookedbydano

Question...Why did you get wheels that suck out of the wheel well????

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 21, 2007, 05:39:54 AM

The shock absorber mounting points on these cars were not designed to handle vehicle weight loads at all.  (Do people lift cars with air shocks all the time anyway? Of course.   And lots of people also drive around with barely-functioning brakes on their cars too.  That doesn't make it a good idea.)   A pair of air shocks tubed up  together will also have issues with the air shifting from side-to-side during cornering, and that's not good at all.

Stick longer shackles onto the car's rear leaf springs to raise it up a few inches.  (Remember that raising the car an inch higher at the shackle will only raise the wheels half that much.)  Or else you could also bolt on some cheapo "helper leaves" behind the axle to stiffen up the existing springs.

i agree air shocks are a very bad idea save youre money buy new springs maybe even add a leaf whatever but dont put airshocks on a mopar if tou drive it alot eventually the upper xmember will crack or break the welds ........when i got my present charger it had the shock xmember cobbled in and a BRAND NEW SET OF AIR SHOCKS on it both the shocks and the xmember hit the dumpster i welded in a nice used xmember and it now has new hemi springs and kyb shocks and it sits right ........and 1 other thing when you jack up the rear too far it makes the front end out of align and can make the car very dangerous more a lot of reasons
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chargercalvin

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 21, 2007, 05:39:54 AM

tell me more about shackles and helper leaves, how much, whare, and how

calvin

chargercalvin

Quote from: bookedbydano on January 21, 2007, 10:51:29 AM
Question...Why did you get wheels that suck out of the wheel well????

because they look awesome

calvin

chargercalvin

how would i freezeup my shocks so that there would be no movement, and what would the consiquences be?

terrible one

Quote from: chargercalvin on January 21, 2007, 01:22:31 PM
how would i freezeup my shocks so that there would be no movement, and what would the consiquences be?

A horrible, stiff ride.

chargercalvin

but it would help me spin, right? how do ya do it
also i wanna know about leaf helpers and shackles, everything about them, including cost

calvin

chargercalvin

could someone give me some info on helper leaves, how they work and such

calvin