News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headrests ....

Started by Khyron, August 31, 2005, 07:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

O.k... here is my question. My charger was born on December 17th 1968.

The previous owner <I don't like saying former> reupolstered the front seats. however I notice something. It has the crome plate and holes for the head rests. They were covered but they are still there. I would like to get a new set for the seats <headrest units that is>, so I guess the question is this.

Do they make these arftermarket? Would any cars head rests work? Or should I just put a add in the "Parts wanted" section and not bother you guys with dumb questions ;0 :D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Shakey

Head rests were offered as an option in '68 and early '69.   They became mandatory on January 1, 1969.   My car is a June '69 car but had no headrests when I bought it, they were MIA.   I found a pair for $50.00 CDN, which I thought was a great deal as you can buy refinished ones from Legendary for around $450.00 USD.   Although their catalogue states that they can refinish yours, when I called they stated that they can only sell a pair of refinished ones.

Do what I did, find a used pair and shop around for a place that can refinish them, like these folks:

http://www.krusinmoons.homestead.com/main.html

I have also seen some for sale on e-bay, someone from OH sells them.  I think bench seat head rests are different than bucket seats.  As far as which cars, not sure.  Maybe all B bodies.

Their web site doesn't say anything about head rests, call Dennis.   Starman417 from this site got his done and they looked great.

http://www.starman417.com/chargerrt.htm

Here is a photo of the pair that I will send out, later this year.

Khyron

almost $400  :o :o :o

I think i'll hit a few swap meets first ;)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: Shakey on August 31, 2005, 07:51:45 AM
Head rests were offered as an option in '68 and early '69.   They became mandatory on January 1, 1969.   My car is a June '69 car but had no headrests when I bought it, they were MIA.   I found a pair for $50.00 CDN, which I thought was a great deal as you can buy refinished ones from Legendary for around $450.00 USD.   Although their catalogue states that they can refinish yours, when I called they stated that they can only sell a pair of refinished ones.

Do what I did, find a used pair and shop around for a place that can refinish them, like these folks:

http://www.krusinmoons.homestead.com/main.html

I have also seen some for sale on e-bay, someone from OH sells them.   I think bench seat head rests are different than bucket seats.   As far as which cars, not sure.   Maybe all B bodies.

Their web site doesn't say anything about head rests, call Dennis.   Starman417 from this site got his done and they looked great.

http://www.starman417.com/chargerrt.htm

Here is a photo of the pair that I will send out, later this year.

The Colonel was built in March of 1969 and I have head rests.  I didn't think the 68's had them, but then later in 69 they made them mandatory?
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

Old Moparz

I saved info from a vendor at the 2003 Nats & have to find it. I did post it on the old Charger site, but that won't do any good now unless Troy had somehow managed to save or archive it. The vendor had a pair of new, repro head rests, that had new chrome posts & the chrome band. They looked great, & the price was supposed to be around $200/pair. It may be the same one supplying the eBay sets, but those are twice the price. I'll see if I can find the contact info, but be patient.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

694spdRT

1968 models and through December 31, 1968 built 1969 models they were optional. After that they were mandatory.

I bought a green set off Ebay for $50 and dyed them red. They were in good shape, but for a bench seat car. You can tell bench seat headrests because they have one post that is longer than the other. I just put them in the cut off saw and ground the angle in the bottom and they work fine. There are stops for different height positions on the bucket seat ones but, mine fit tight without them. The mounting hardware and bezels are different though. That can be the tough stuff to find. Fortunately, you don't have that problem.

I just picked up a 2nd black set out of a Dart for $30 at a local yard a couple months ago so they are still around. The headrests are perfect but, the posts have some corrosion on them. I plan to put them in the '68.

I do remember Hardens Muscle Car world had black repos on display at the Nats last year. I thought they were $300 ??? for the pair(maybe it was $200), I don't know about the quality.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

MoparYoungGun

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

JimShine

They are rare on '68 cars, but do exist.

8WHEELER

The last set of head rests I got one post was to long, as stated above all you need to do is
cut off what is not needed and they will work in 68-69 seats, the ones I found that were to
long came out of a C-Body.

My wife's 68 R/T still has the original headrests seats, it is a December 1967 built car, more 68 chargers
came without headrests than came with them thats for sure. I put them in all my cars for the look.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Shakey on August 31, 2005, 08:16:59 AM
Here you go Khryon!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-DODGE-CHARGER-BUCKET-SEAT-HEADRESTS_W0QQitemZ4572420125QQcategoryZ34206QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know this guy. He's great to deal with. I've bought parts from him and he's held them forever until I could meet him at his work to pick them up.
Last time I bought from him, I put it off so long that he just brought them to MOPARFest and I got them from him there.

Charger Aficionado

Folks, this guy makes NEW Dashes, NEW Armrest pads, and NEW Headrests.  I must say they are VERRRY nice!  :) 

I'm GRINDING him for a set of tan, but it's not gonna be ready for awhile...  Rrrrrr

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34206&item=4558010309

dayclona

Quote from: Khyron on August 31, 2005, 07:21:17 AM
O.k... here is my question. My charger was born on December 17th 1968.

The previous owner <I don't like saying former> reupolstered the front seats. however I notice something. It has the crome plate and holes for the head rests. They were covered but they are still there. I would like to get a new set for the seats <headrest units that is>, so I guess the question is this.

Do they make these arftermarket? Would any cars head rests work? Or should I just put a add in the "Parts wanted" section and not bother you guys with dumb questions ;0 :D

Khyron,   if you'd like? contact WWW. DAYCLONA.COM I have 1 black set with/without hardware that are in excellent cond. no tears, punctures, swells, etc you can have them for $150 that includes shipping, hardware add $25                             mike/proprieter/DAYCLONA

note these headrest are for buckets, chrome is exc cond. all hardware is complete

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wow!  Great deal!

I had mine refurbished at Krusin Moons for $125 a few years back.

Be careful though, the ones from a bench seat are longer than the bucket seat ones....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T