News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 RT Charger horns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by gpnavar, January 10, 2007, 07:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpnavar

I have just finished a complete restoration on my 1968 RT Charger however when I put everything back together I can't seem to get the horns to work, you can hear the relay switch come in and it is trying to blow the horns however they seem to be stuck inside. I took a hammer handle and taped on the horn button on the horns but they just won't turn loose. I have several questions number one can I take the horns off and soak them in something if so what should I use and hopefully get them to break loose? If not any suggestions as to what I can do? And if I can't do anything to make them work is there anybody out there that either rebuilds horns are offers new OEM type replacement horns? Any help here would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing all of your input and thanks in advance for your help. Gary

resq302

Mine do that occasionally on my 69.  I think it has to do with a bad ground as the horns get directly grounded to the body.  Try seeing if you have bare metal to metal or if you have the correct horn mounting bolts as they have washers with teeth that bite into the metal causing a good ground.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto