News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you trace your Chargers history ?

Started by 71 Bee Man, January 13, 2007, 06:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 Bee Man

G'day guys,

now....remembering I'm on the other side of the world, how do you actually go about tracing your cars history over there ?

If it wasn't too difficult I was thinking of seeing where mine had been, who owned it first etc.

Peter :icon_smile_wink:
Sydney, Australia.
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

Charger71

I was fortunate to find all the prior owners in one city.  I am the third owner, so it wasn't too hard.  You can do that method or...

You can start by asking the person you bought it from where they got the car, and so on, and so on...  After I restored by car to a reliable driver,  I took it to the prior owners. They were excited to look at the car again. 

Maybe find a someone who can tell you when the car was imported and to whom.

Charger71

Mean 318

I had found an old insurance card with a name on it. I tracked him down and got some pics. I also went to the guy who ran the local mopar show back in the 80s. He also had pics for me! I only got three owners back before I couldn't find anymore. I also got a forum from the local DMV to request my vehicles history, but they couldn't tell me more than who in my state owned it. Good Luck!

71 Bee Man

Quote from: Charger71 on January 13, 2007, 06:49:07 PM
I was fortunate to find all the prior owners in one city.  I am the third owner, so it wasn't too hard.  You can do that method or...

You can start by asking the person you bought it from where they got the car, and so on, and so on...  After I restored by car to a reliable driver,  I took it to the prior owners. They were excited to look at the car again. 

Maybe find a someone who can tell you when the car was imported and to whom.

Charger71

Thanks guys,

I wasn't sure if there was just somewhere you sent you VIN number to and they tell you the whole story.
I imported my car myself, but the guy I bought it off was a really nice bloke. I might start there as you suggest.

Peter
Add your details to the Forum members List. Visit this thread to find out more :
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21133.240.html

bull

A lot depends on how many owners your car went through and how long they owned it. In my case the last owner managed to get some names but I have been unable to track any of those guys down. And it doesn't help that my car had something like six owners since 1993. I'd love to have more history on it but it just hasn't worked out. But, at least I have the car. :yesnod:

Nacho-RT74

Is more less easy to me, since I'm 2nd Owner, and 1st owner was a friend's of mines dad. I can't tell ANY DETAIL about since he died  and I bought a year later.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemi-hampton

With the new Stalking laws this makes it harder to track this info down compared to the old days. LEON.

69bronzeT5

I found the old insurance papers. We contacted the guy and he was gonna send us pics but it never happened. :rotz:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

THE COLONEL

Since I have bought The Colonel, I have been trying to now (in the last year and a half) to again contact the guy I bought it off of.....to no avail.  That is bad! :-\
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

41husk

I have all the registration cards, I contacted the son of the former owner.  He was very nice and remembered many details about my car.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Joshua

I inherited my Charger, but my uncle got it first from the original owner.....still lives just up the road from him and stops by to visit. I need to drive it down to him some time (8 hr drive)....... :icon_smile_big:

OttawaCharger

I bought my car off of Ebay from a guy who's brother dragged it up to Canada from the southern USA with a bunch of cars about 5 years prior.  He was no help.  :rotz:
The only lead I've really got is that there appears to be a reddish sand everywhere in this thing! Oh, and it came with a rather unique paint job that maybe someone on this board might recognize someday.  :shruggy:
I think it'll remain a mystery.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Reidar

But what can you find out if you try carfax.com? I thought you could get some info from them just by sending them your VIN?

Reidar

Mrfixit

I tried the carfax thing but our cars have too many characters in the vin, or too few. Can't remember.