News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dave back in Van Halen

Started by chargerboy69, January 17, 2007, 04:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerboy69

For any Van Halen fans. Dave back in Van Halen again? I really never cared if it was Sammy or Dave, until I saw Dave last summer at a club here in Indiana. The guy still has it. He sounded great and put on one heck of a show. Some friends and I were actually able to get into the club early for sound check. Since we were the only ones there, Dave actually came down off stage and came over to to us while we were standing there watching him. He stood there and sang five or so songs right there next to us. We were even able to shoot the crap with him for a while. He was a really nice guy.

Eddie Van Halen spoke to Guitar World magazine about the current status of VAN HALEN following the departures of vocalist Sammy Hagar and bassist Michael Anthony.

Rumors continue to swirl that original singer David Lee Roth, who was replaced by Hagar in the mid-1980s, will return to the fold, despite years of enmity. Roth, who has recently worked as a radio DJ and a paramedic, told Billboard.com in May that he saw it "absolutely as an inevitability."

"I'm telling Dave, 'Dude, get your ass up here and sing. Come on!'" Eddie told Guitar World. "As it stands right now, the ball is in Dave's court. Whether he wants to rise to the ocassion is entirely up to him, but we're ready to go."

Eddie has brought his 15-year-old son, Wolfgang, into VAN HALEN as the veteran rock band's new bass player. Father and son, along with Eddie's drummer brother Alex, have been rehearsing for a 2007 tour.

"Wolfgang breathes new life into what we're doing," said Eddie. "He brings youthfulness to something that's inherently youthful. He's only been playing bass for three months, but it's spooky. He's locked tight and puts an incredible spin on our $^#@. The kid is kicking my ass. He's spanking me now, even though I never spanked him. To have my son follow in my footsteps on his own, without me pushing him into it, is the greatest feeling in the world."
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

mikepmcs

About time!  I look forward to hearing some of that stuff with Diamond D at the vocals. 

:METAL:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

ChargerSG

If that goes as planned thats great, i wonder how does Michael Anthony feel when heard he is been replaced by a 15 yearsold who have played bass for 3 months :icon_smile_big:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

bull

Think it'll last more than one album?

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on January 17, 2007, 05:17:34 PM

I'll be surprised if it lasts more than one rehearsal...
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mean 318

Quote from: The Iceman on January 17, 2007, 05:19:07 PM

:iagree: Dave tends to act like an ass! He allways ends up pissing someone off and they split! Don't get me wrong, I think he is a hell of a musician, but has an even bigger attitude! I saw Sammy 2 or 3 years ago and he kicked ass! It would be cool to see them both playing!

chargerboy69

Quote from: Mean 318 on January 17, 2007, 05:33:24 PM

:iagree: Dave tends to act like an ass! He allways ends up pissing someone off and they split! Don't get me wrong, I think he is a hell of a musician, but has an even bigger attitude! I saw Sammy 2 or 3 years ago and he kicked ass! It would be cool to see them both playing!

I tend to believe both of them have attitudes. . . . Wasn't it back in the late 90's for Van Halens Greatest Hits they brought Dave back for a couple tunes. He co-wrote and sung "Me Wise Majic" a fantasic song, and "Can't Get This Stuff No More" on the album, but they split right after that. After that I read an article saying they could not get along. Each person blamed the other.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

70charger_boy

Alot of people, including people on this site think I'm like David Lee Roth, an ass.  From what I heard Van Halen will reunite with Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth for the induction to the Rock and Roll hall of fame.  Eddy would love to have dave back in, but David always finds a way to make everything all about him.  I think Dave rocks and I was never much of a sammy fan.  I would love to see them all together. 

mikepmcs

Van Halen was inducted into the Hall of Fame on January 8th.  I'm confused on your post, please expound on what you meant.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69bronzeT5

VAN HALEN! VAN HALEN! VAN HALEN! IM TOTALLY GOING TO THEIR SHOW IF THEY COME TO BC! :METAL:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Lowprofile

I agree. Sammy has always been a class act. One of my best friends worked on the Sammy/Dave tour a few years ago. He told me that Dave is nothing more than Prima Donna, While working with Sammy was a total pleasure.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

nh_mopar_fan

Dave is a dick, plain and simple.

He jumped the shark a long time ago.

People have short memories, those last few Dave albums SUCKED. Fair Warning? Please. That was swill.

I know someone who worked that Sam/Dave tour and heard it was a nightmare and by the end they didn't even want to near each other.

Mike DC

It seems like Dave is more suited to the prime of VH's sound, but Sammy is better as a functioning band member.

Creative people as they get older . . .  seems like their strengths stay about the same but their weaknesses get less tolerable. 

69DodgeCharger

Man that shiny gold outfit is not working. Sad to see both Dave and Eddie in their current state. Definately reminds me how long ago it really was. But in their day they were pretty good. You gotta remember this was at a time when disco type stuff was still popular, so for them to burst onto the scene like they did with a totally new sound...well it was awesome....for a few years anyways.
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

Mean 318

At least Sammy took getting old with dignity, Dave on the other hand.... :rotz:

70charginglizard

Yep, Dave is an arogrant prick. Van Halens early stuff with him was good but then it went down hill from there.

Sammy added a real freshness to the group when he came in that I really respected. Not to mension that sammy is a big time car guy as well.

Gained points from me right there.

David Lee Roth has done' nothing for me over the years (except become more and more of an ass) and to me it's a step back for Van Halen to do anything further with him unless it's maybe some kind of remake of there very old stuff and even that is pretty pethetic bacause you know there only doing that with $ signs in there minds for that.
70charginglizard

bull

Funny how many people whined and cried when Dave first left and Sammy joined up. Now it seems Dave has worn out his welcome and now everyone wishes Sammy was still around. I think Sammy is better off w/o VH, not the other way around. Sammy has always been a stand up guy and entertainer who seems pretty humble. Dave's a narcissist and Eddie's a drunk. I give it a year tops.

Here's an intersting interview with Sammy regarding this topic: http://www.vhnd.com/articles/070109-05.shtml

Joshua

Quote from: 70charginglizard on January 18, 2007, 02:26:41 PM
Yep, Dave is an arogrant prick. Van Halens early stuff with him was good but then it went down hill from there.

I think Eddie is just as big a prick if not BIGGER! ;)

JimShine

Eddie is a HUGE prick. His brother follows along. They were talking crap about Mike Anthony recently, saying he wasn't really a member of the band. Mike is an integral part of the vocal harmony of that band. But they are mad because he hangs out with Sammy.

mikepmcs

I always loved Mike's Jack Daniels Base.  I just wonder, is Wolfgang after 3 months really up to his standards.  I don't know but 3 months.   Wow if he is, more power to him.

I still can't wait to hear some stuff from them.

I do like old Van Halen better than the Sammy years, although he's got his talent as well, not disrespecting him.

Hey Jimmy Shine, how you doing?? :wave:

Lowprofile

Sammy & Mike have been best of friends for years. Mike now plays in Sammy's "Cabo Wabo" band!  :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

dkn1997

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 18, 2007, 06:26:30 PM
I always loved Mike's Jack Daniels Base.  I just wonder, is Wolfgang after 3 months really up to his standards.  I don't know but 3 months.   Wow if he is, more power to him.

I still can't wait to hear some stuff from them.

I do like old Van Halen better than the Sammy years, although he's got his talent as well, not disrespecting him.

Hey Jimmy Shine, how you doing?? :wave:

I don't know if the kid will be up to michael anthony's standards, but he will be up the rest of the bands standards if he acts like a douchebag. 
RECHRGED

4cruzin

Even though the kid has been playing bass for only three months doesn't mean he hasn't been playing guitar for years . . . I've really never played a bass but I know the basics as I've played guitar for years.  Can't be too hard.  This is Eddie Van Halens kid we're talking about . . . 

Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

bull

So how much nepotism does it take to make a band? Doesn't Alex have any kids who can sing?

hemihead

Dave and Eddie will last until Eddie sobers up.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin