News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger winter time blues (withdrawls)

Started by 70charginglizard, January 15, 2007, 10:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charginglizard

Anyone here going thru the charger winter time withdrawls? I am.
I was going to actually take it out last weekend but there was just to much ice on the road so all I did was the bi-weekly start and warm up.

I want to drive it!!!! :icon_smile_angry:....D T's

I am in dire need of mopar. Sorry for venting but you guys are my only support group for this.
70charginglizard

deputycrawford

I am bi polar with my 69. I love the idea of owning own but work on it so  much that i am really thinking of selling it. I am still torn about it but I would probably sell to who ever gave me what I have in it. Keep up the DT's and take it out in the spring. I will live my life vicariously through you.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Charger1973

It could always be worse!

Think of it this way, at least when it does get nice you can take yours out and drive it.  All I have to look forward to when it gets nice out is sheet metal work and parts hunting.   :pity:

bandit67

Gee, guys,.............I hear your pain , but cannot feel it. It has been 70 degrees plus for several weeks now. Have not built but two fires this winter season so far. I was out pullling both bumpers , chrome and back glass today in shorts and a tee shirt. All of this outside and getting her ready for paint.  Heard the Harleys go by and thought , what a great day to ride. Hang in there, spring will come.........J

4cruzin

Quote from: bandit67 on January 15, 2007, 11:34:10 PM
Gee, guys,.............I hear your pain , but cannot feel it. It has been 70 degrees plus for several weeks now. Have not built but two fires this winter season so far. I was out pullling both bumpers , chrome and back glass today in shorts and a tee shirt. All of this outside and getting her ready for paint.  Heard the Harleys go by and thought , what a great day to ride. Hang in there, spring will come.........J

You are one of the lucky ones!! Everything is frozen here in Michigan! 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Ghoste

It's freezing here now too.  It was nice enough last Firday that I was able to take the car out for little while in the afternoon but it started to rain so that ended that.  I hear you though Liz, normally we're socked in around here too and it just sucks.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I feel ya Kelly.....although usually my car goes away late October early November, this year I actually got her to the track on 11/4 and put her away the first week of December!
The "winter wheel" usually goes on earlier but didnt do it till mid December this year....  :-\
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

What is the general consensus on winter starting?  I always thought it was a good idea to start up my car once a month or so and then someone told me that by doing that I get moisture buildup in the exhaust and rust can start.  Is it better to just let the car rest undisturbed for the winter months?  Which is 5 months long where i'm at.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mikepmcs

PT,
what I was told is if you let it get up to temperature the heat will keep the moisture from accumulating.  I was under the impression that it's when you just start it up and shut it off without it heating up is when the problems start.

Now i'm curious too. :popcrn:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

70charginglizard

I have to start and run mine to opperating temps at least once every two weeks minimum. If anything, to get my mopar fix. Otherwise I go crazy.

Weather permitting I'll even take it out in the winter. Wether permitting just to keep the seals and stuff good.  :icon_smile_big:
70charginglizard

andy74

snow up to my ass in front of the garage door,keeps the charger inside :icon_smile_dissapprove:

OttawaCharger

Mine is in pieces in the garage so I see it regularly.  I'm sure I'll drive it one day but since I haven't yet, nothing to miss  :icon_smile_big:
As for starting an engine periodically in the off season, my research has led me to believe that the majority of an engine's wear is at startup.  So my motorcycle gets prepped for winter in the fall then left shut off until spring.  My last summer car was the same.
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Just 6T9 CHGR

I take my wood wheel off,  battery out, put it on the Battery Tender, change the oil & filter, fill the tank, put some dessicant bags in the interior, trunk & engine compt and leave her alone till spring. :(
I don't start her till then
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

41husk

I got the windshield out of mine now, but it will be ready to go back in soon, besides it is about 10 deg today.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikepmcs

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 16, 2007, 01:33:33 PM
I take my wood wheel off,  battery out, put it on the Battery Tender, change the oil & filter, fill the tank, put some dessicant bags in the interior, trunk & engine compt and leave her alone till spring. :(

I guess if i had one that was as mint as yours, I would do the same thing.  Mines in my garage and I just won't move it until spring. My 55 chevy is in a trailer outside(enclosed and covered).  I would consider my 55 almost as valuable($$ wise as your 69, read that as someone dumped a ton of money in it and it's mint but not original).   Don't get me wrong though, I like my Charger better.  I hope I don't screw up the 55. Batt's out but that's about it.  I guess i'll know come spring because I will not open the trailer until then. :o :o

I think i need to put a cover on my 69 right now though cause the sun seems to beat on a few select spots on the car through the windows each day. Don't want no fading.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 16, 2007, 01:33:33 PM

Fill the tank? I'm sure you said why you do this once before but could you refresh my memory? I've always thought it would be better to keep it as empty as possible so when you fill it in spring any bad gas would be deluted. While you're at it, please tell me why you remove the steering wheel? Temperature? Moisture?

Charger1973

Im guessing he fills it to avoid rust in the tank but I could be wrong.  My car doesnt even have a gas tank at this point so what do I know.   :icon_smile_wink:

PocketThunder

http://www.automedia.com/Storing/Your/Vehicle/ccr20010601sv/1

The fuel system, for instance, can be a prime source of problems. If the car is stored with an empty tank, moisture can condense inside the system and cause rust and corrosion. On the other hand, if the car is stored with fuel in the system, the gas can gradually break down, forming gum and varnish. To help keep gasoline from deteriorating, pour a fuel stabilizer into the tank. Be sure to drive the car for about 10 miles after adding the stabilizer to make sure it gets circulated throughout the system. Normally, it's best to leave the tank full.

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

OttawaCharger

I'll second what he said.  Prevents moisture.  I always add the stabilizer the last time at the gas station so that by the time I've driven home, its throughout the whole system.  Of course then I have to top off the tank with the jerry can.   :icon_smile_approve:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes fill the tank to keep moisture at bay.  Just like PT posted...I also use a stabilizer

My car is stored outside in a non-climate controlled garage that is detached from my house.  Freezing temps are a concern when it comes to my (expensive now) woodgrain steering wheel.  I store it inside to prevent cracks :(

Come spring time when the temps are changing my car is physically dripping wet due to the condensation/ temp changes.   Even though its in a garage, she gets wet :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

OttawaCharger

Almost forgot.  If you're parking on concrete, put something down to roll the tires up onto like pieces of plywood.  Keeps the tires from developing a hard spot where they were on the ground.

mikepmcs

i'll be doing that tonight, thank you for that tip.

chargerboy69

Quote from: deputycrawford on January 15, 2007, 11:05:59 PM
I am bi polar with my 69. I love the idea of owning own but work on it so  much that i am really thinking of selling it. I am still torn about it but I would probably sell to who ever gave me what I have in it. Keep up the DT's and take it out in the spring. I will live my life vicariously through you.

What. . . Sell your car? You love that car. You can not sell it. Besides what will you bring to the Charger show in Auburn this year? See you have to keep it.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

deputycrawford

I hear ya Chargerboy69. I do love the idea of having the car. I also hate working on it almost everytime I get in it. I still have to find out why I dont have any power at the key when everything else works fine. Then I have to cut the intake another .040. after that I just might pull the engine again to replace my brand new oil pan gaskets. (yes two, I have a windage tray.) Then, I am 90% sure that I will put it up for sale for what I have in it. I will through in all the extra parts and all the original parts with the deal. I have too many other things I have to repair around the house. I also have multiple debts to pay off. I am sick of driving a $300 car most of the time so I can have the broken down Charger. I will miss it after I forget what a pain in the ass it is. After 1 or 2 years I will have everything set up to afford a brand new SRT8 Challenger Convertible. I will also have room for it in the garage. I think many of you have seen it on the web site I have sent before. I will officially post in in the spring for $18,000 and hope I get most of it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.