News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

small crack in block

Started by Bandit72, January 14, 2007, 03:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

i have a mid 60's 413 out of a fury that i have had stored in my dads garage for 3 years now, well i bought a truck afew weeks ago and decided i was going to put it in....went to start the engine (it's on a run stand) and realized that one of the freeze plugs was gone WTF...well, i replaced it, started the engine and it ran great.....great oil pressure, everything, alittle smoke because i had some tranny fluid in the cylinders while it sat, but not that big of deal. well after it pressured up i noticed afew little "puffs" of steam from the drivers side of the block...went over and looked and there was a 2 inch long crack...just enough to "split" the paint and cause what looked like "sweat" on the side of the block while it's under pressure...doesn't leak a drop when it's cool. Anyway, is this going to be fixable you think? O'Reillys sells stuff that is supposed to seal up minor cracks like that, has anybody had any experience with it?

Thanks Ryan Olson
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Chryco Psycho

the block can be easily fixed by drilling the end of the crack to stop it cracking futher  & pinning the block to seal the crack . as far as sealers go I doubt it will hold

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 14, 2007, 12:24:58 PM
the block can be easily fixed by drilling the end of the crack to stop it cracking futher  & pinning the block to seal the crack . as far as sealers go I doubt it will hold

:iagree: A stitch weld can fix it up no problem, but you'll have to pull it apart.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Bandit72

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 14, 2007, 12:24:58 PM

what do you mean by "pinning the block"?
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Chryco Psycho

drilling holes & threading in pins