News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can someone give me the low down on a Base 1970 charger?

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, January 12, 2007, 05:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

Like they have weird tail panels,no wheel well trim,bench seat only,upper door panels were deleteable,if it was a 4-spd it came with a 68-9 lookin shifter(non-pistol grip) etc. Can someone give me the info on these cars??? pics would help of what the interior looked like with a bench seat,upper door pad delete,non pistol grip 4-spd and what the rear looked like n such???

p.s. i believe either on this site or the old one maybe but a member was trying to buy a 70 charger 500 but the owner would come off his price but told him that there was another 70 charger down the street and he bought it, i believe an F8 green with a black top 383 4-spd base charger that was sitting in an open garage from the original owner and sold it on ebay a little while back ive tried searching for it here but can find anything on it, does any other member know what car im talking about here???-MATT

Chad L. Magee

I will try to answer this one for you because I have a base 1970.  Basically, a base model 1970 is a downgraded 500 model.  It was done to get the price of the new 1970 Chargers listed down to $3,001.00 for advertising purposes.  Engine size was limited to /6, 318 and 383-2bbl. for base models.  Bench seats were standard, with bucket seats as an option.  Base models had no upper door pads (just nice painted upper door metal) and no auminum taillight panel (just the sheet metal that was there painted body color with the exception of the taillight holes which were black on the inside rim).  I don't recall if my car had the wheel well moldings, but I would have taken them off if they were there as I tend to store those away from my cars until they get restored (I have had them ripped off of my cars before by a thief).  I can't anwer your question on the 4-speed as mine came with the standard transmission (a three speed column manual) with the standard engine (/6).  I will try to attach pics of my car.  As for additional info:

http://1970chargerregistry.com/page3.html
http://www.allpar.com/model/charger.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Charger_(B-body)
http://www.dodgeforum.com/dodge/charger-history.asp
http://home.att.net/~scatpack/19681970.htm

The last pic has primer covering the body colored paint on the rear of the car.  This was done by a previous owner who painted over the orginal paint with primer as a means to hide bondo in the quarters.......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Chris G.

Just to touch on what Chad mentioned...

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on January 12, 2007, 09:54:16 AM
Engine size was limited to /6, 318 and 383-2bbl. for base models.

The 383 4bbl was also available.

QuoteBench seats were standard, with bucket seats as an option.

Bench seats were the only option on the "XH" cars. Buckets were a no go.

QuoteI don't recall if my car had the wheel well moldings

I'm pretty sure they weren't available on the XH model. Not positive though

QuoteI can't answer your question on the 4-speed

4 spds were available.

Charger Punk, it's all here www.1970chargerregistry.com , wether you stop by and learn a few things rather than starting 50 threads a day is your choice.  :icon_smile_wink:

Chad L. Magee

Thanks Chris, I could not remember if the 4bbl. 383 was allowed or not with the base models.  BTW-I thought that I had seen a base model bucket seat 70 Charger years ago at a car show that was ordered that way (did not keep track on it though so it could have been a dealer conversion).....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

69CoronetRT

This is a neat car. 383-4bbl. 4 speed with axle package.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on January 12, 2007, 01:32:37 PM
This is a neat car. 383-4bbl. 4 speed with axle package.
Wow, that's a style of Charger you don't see every day. :thumbs:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chris G.

That's a cool car Doug. Hardtop, dual mirrors, axle package and a white gut on that exterior color is not very common. 1970 was a fun year, that's for sure.  :coolgleamA:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Chris G. on January 12, 2007, 06:44:34 PM
That's a cool car Doug. Hardtop, dual mirrors, axle package and a white gut on that exterior color is not very common. 1970 was a fun year, that's for sure.  :coolgleamA:

(I did send you the info didn't I?) ???

BTW...that's a 67 440 equipped car for sale on the trailer in the background.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Chris G.

bull

I didn't know all this stuff until the last five years or so because I had the only 2nd gen Charger in the small town where I grew up. I finally did see a '68 and it had the wheel trim, door pads, etc., so I thought that was just the difference between the '68 and '70. Mine had a 383 2bbl, column auto, no upper door pads, to tail panel trim, no wheel trim (but I eventually got some off a '69) and a bench seat with headrests.

Here's a picture, but the interior looks about the same as the yellow one. I'm supposed to be getting more pics from the current owner someday... if I manage to outlive his procrastination.

bull

Here's a picture of it in about '86 (?) before I found and added the wheel trim. I entered it in the Chief Joseph Days Parade in Joseph, Oregon when I was about 19. Damn! Why didn't I leave those Magnums on it?! Why didn't I just keep the damn car?!

Back then I didn't know some Chargers came with Magnum 500s. I just pulled these off a junked out Ford Galaxy, and paid nothing for them, just to keep the car off the ground. And here I was making it a correct upgrade and didn't know it.

THE CHARGER PUNK

Brock Samson

bull

Thanks. I drove the stuffing out of that car and it always ran like a top, hardly ever broke down. I wish I still had it. :rotz: