News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Neglected '70 Super Bee

Started by lumpy, January 12, 2007, 01:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

I stumbled upon this car today. Anybody have any idea of the value??

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

lumpy

pic

69bronzeT5

lumpy

I am trying to load pics, but having trouble, it is an original Tucson AZ car. '70 Super Bee  Lime Grren 440 6 pack 4spd dana, all original #'s matching. It will need a complete reso, but is complete and rust free.

Blakcharger440

lumpy

69bronzeT5

lumpy

The young guy that I talked to , said his Dad bought the car new. I offered him an insane amount of money for the car, but he turned it down flat. Said he has a boy and the car will go to him. So I guess it will sit there for another 20 plus years. At least it is in Tucson!!!

lumpy

Oh, you probably have to be a member, sorry!!

69bronzeT5

Im registering at the moment! ;)

"Thank you for registering. The admin must approve your registration before you may begin to use your account, you will receive an email shortly advising you of the admin's decision."

How long does that usually take lumpy?

lumpy

lumpy

another

lumpy

Pistol Grip bench seat

lumpy

original 6pack is in the trunk

lumpy

You should get an email right away.

lumpy

What would be a good offer? The first words out of my mouth were 25k. He laughed at that!!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: lumpy on January 12, 2007, 01:29:16 AM
You should get an email right away.

Well, I got an email telling my username and whatnot but I havent gotten the acceptance one yet.

lumpy

Just sign in like you do here. Good Luck!!

69bronzeT5

Okay..Im gonna post those pics of the Superbee on my site tomorrow cuz Piczo's f***ed up tonight :rotz:

lumpy

Anybody have a good idea what something like this would be worth?? Restored maybe 80k??

69bronzeT5

nakita7

So he MIGHT sell it for $50,000.

Will need another $30,000+ for resto.

And then you can sell it for $52,000 at BJ.

I'd jump on it.... :eyes:

41husk

I wouldn't give more than 10k and I love that style.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

mikepmcs

:iagree:  25K for that car is too much in that poor of a condition. And only yielding a market value of $50K.  That dude was nuts not to take your offer.  Then again he wants to give it to his boy, i've got to respect that(if that is the reason he turned down your offer).

Wait til the son is old enough to get the car and when the older guy is out of the picture, pressure the kid to sell it to you.  Might take a while but you eventually will get your car.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

lumpy

WOW, not as much as I thought!! Kinda glad he didn't take my offer. It would be a nice car to have and to hold on to. Hope the little crumb cruncher will appreciate his Dad's sacrifice!! Thanks guy for the advice.

lumpy

Oh yeah, it is a numbers matching drivetrain, I'm sure that would help .

mikepmcs

Quote from: lumpy on January 12, 2007, 09:49:28 AM
Hope the little crumb cruncher will appreciate his Dad's sacrifice!!

Not a chance, kids don't appreciate much these days.  My buddy has had a Bandit T/A for the 16 years i've known him.  He always said he was going to give it to his daughter when she was old enough.

She's 19 now and all she does is put gas in it and complain because the stereo isn't cool in it.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TruckDriver

I bought my Charger for $1,500. bucks with all the original body panels and about the same amount of surface rust on the roof. It was a lifetime Arizona car. I understand though, that this car is more desirable than a '72 Charger of any kind. That said, I still wouldn't pay more than $2,500 for this Bee.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

66mopar

That guy is a fool if he turned down 25k for that car. To me that car is worth 10k tops in that condition.
These cars are getting very expensive to restore$$
You should be very glad he turned down your offer
When the muscle car frenzy dies down (like the early ninnies) and the only people left buying these cars are real cars guys that's when these cars will sell for their real value.   
Like any other frenzy just wait and buy on the downturn. You may get the last laugh

Joshua

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on January 12, 2007, 11:42:36 AM
I bought my Charger for $1,500. bucks with all the original body panels and about the same amount of surface rust on the roof. It was a lifetime Arizona car. I understand though, that this car is more desirable than a '72 Charger of any kind. That said, I still wouldn't pay more than $2,500 for this Bee.

1970 SuperBee's are my 2nd favorite Mopar behind '68 Chargers........
That said....
I personally wouldn't offer more than @ $7000 for a car in that condition..........if I had that kind of $$$$, which I never do..... hahahaha.....Never paid more than $2500 for ANY of my cars. ;D

dkn1997

Aside from the money is that another mopar is lost forever.  Look at the way he is "preserving" it.  it's been there 20 years and you can bet what's left of it will be there in another 20 years.

RECHRGED

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69bronzeT5

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 12, 2007, 10:00:18 AM
Quote from: lumpy on January 12, 2007, 09:49:28 AM
Hope the little crumb cruncher will appreciate his Dad's sacrifice!!

Not a chance, kids don't appreciate much these days.  My buddy has had a Bandit T/A for the 16 years i've known him.  He always said he was going to give it to his daughter when she was old enough.

She's 19 now and all she does is put gas in it and complain because the stereo isn't cool in it.

God, I have sooo much appreciation for my 69. And Im 14

lumpy

Now I realize that the car is probably not worth the money that I offered him and I am lucky that he did not take the money. But $7,500??  $2,500??? Did you guys notice that it is an original V code 440 6pack 4 spd, dana 60, matching numbers??? Does this mean anything to you?? Not really sure what an original date cocded 440 six pack block is worth, but probably more than some of you would offer. In all fun, just in my head I can think of at least a dozen old mopars that I paid less than$1,000 for, recently bought a rust free '73 Duster for 300 bucks. My first car was a '68 Sport Fury 383 and loaded for $350.00, I traded a T.V. and a VCR for my Brother's '71 B'cuda!!! Those were the days!!!

Joshua

Quote from: lumpy on January 12, 2007, 04:23:29 PM
Does this mean anything to you??

NOPE!......I know where a '70 'Cuda is sitting.....440, 4-speed, Dana...yada,yada,yada.......Similar codition as the '70 'Bee.....$9000.
I for one, can't AFFORD to pay that kind of money for a project car.....the last one I bought was $1000...a '66 442 post car, 4-speed and I drove it home. This was only 4 years ago. Deals are out there, just gotta go FIND 'em.
The '68 in my avitar was given to me.

lumpy

Please tell me where the 'Cuda is :icon_smile_tongue:

Joshua

Quote from: lumpy on January 12, 2007, 04:35:23 PM
Please tell me where the 'Cuda is :icon_smile_tongue:
Sure....It's in South Central Oregon.....Klamath Falls to be exact. Sitting in a guys yard.
There is still alot of old muscle laying around in that part of the country. '69 Charger, rough but still on the road, sitting in a guys carport in a low income part of town. Been afraid to ask owner about selling, place looks sketchy. ???

472 R/T SE

About 5 years ago I sold a #'s matching FC7 hardtop V code, 4 gear, Dana Bee in similar condition for $9500.00.  It had the bulge hood tho and was a post car.  According to GG, it was the last Bee built for '70.

JimShine

The 1970 Coronet/Bee is the red headed step child of the 1968-1970 B body family. It rarely ranks #1 in many Mopar guys books bacause of its front end (the same feature that turns on the small group of people who prefer them). The cars are cheap (compared to other years and B bodies), parts expensive and a little hard to resell. That is just my perspective as a 70 Coronet owner.

lumpy

I have always liked them. I remember seeing one in an old Hot Rod magazine when i was a kid, with a tunnel ram and velocity stacks, all jacked up with fat tires, lookin' like it was pissed off at someone !! But I pretty much like any Mopar, except for some of those early 60's ugly Valiants. Was never a big fan of the notchback 67-69 Cuda's either.

Mean 318

To be honest I didn't like the 70 Bee/Coronet either. The only reason I looked at it was because my dad was told about a bunch of MoPars sitting out in a yard so I decided to go check it out. The second I saw it I fell in love! I personally feel that you have to see these cars in person! They rarely look right in pics! But to each their own! ;D

Lord Warlock

While a fully restored matching number 70 bee may be worth 50k, spending 25k on that one is a little hard to believe.  You should be able to find similar type cars in the 15k range that are still worth restoring.  But you'll still spend double to triple that much getting it to the stage where it will will bring a collector price.  Unfortunately, the 70 doesn't have the same draw as the 68-69 six pack bees with the lift off hoods.  I love the 68/9 and even the 71 superbees but never liked the nose of the 70. 

He shouldn't have laughed at the 25k offer, like most long term owners hoping to pass on their legacy to their sons, they usually have an unrealistic idea of the value of the cars.  They see a couple of the barrett jackson cars sell high and instantly think the cars are likewise valued.  (after all, it only really needs a paint job-lol)  Don't bother waiting on the kid to sell it in 20 years, you won't be able to afford it then either.  If it were me, and i was really serious about buying it,  take 18k in cash and go visit him every 6 months, one day he'll be in dire straights and need cash.  For a real six pack 70, numbers matching, in that condition, 18k is a serious offer.  25k is too much.  Also, you can sell him on the idea that wouldn't it be safer to give his kid something new and reliable, and wouldn't cost a fortune each time the alternator or starter dies.  I certainly don't want to put my daughters in my charger unless i'm driving it somewhere.  I'd much prefer the security of a new suspension and steering.
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

lumpy

Skued

Lumpy-If your looking for a project Super bee here you go.  http://tulsa.craigslist.org/car/261447805.html I'm sure with 25k you could do a lot ;)

By-the-way it's not mine.

Steve
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

nakita7

I'm glad he didn't take your money either Lumpy! You would have WAY overpayed. Rare car? yeah. Six Pack blah blah yeah. The problem with this deal is the same with other project cars being bought and sold. Most idiots don't realize the COST OF RESTORATION. I apprenticed as a mechanic and I worked in a bodyshop, I know what I'm talking about. Guys that have rare cars will phone a bodyshop and get a quote on a cheapy paint job, and they figure that IS the cost of the restoration. They don't figure on the other things, engine, interior etc. $30,000 can get spent quite quickly on a resto. Some guys only learn that the hard way...AFTER they buy the car and start working on it. I've owned 45 Mopars in my life, and I have seen it over and over and over.

Of course the 'upside' is...this is where flippers come in. That's why project cars get bought locally in the paper for $1000 and then go on Ebay for $4250. This cycle will never end, because MOST people are not good with their money, and they don't think. A great combo if you're selling...

I would love to buy this car. 70 is my favourite Bee by far (71 is second). Lime green is my favourite colour, both on and off Mopars. Six Pack blah blah...wow, bonus! Personally, it would be hard for me to pay more than $5000-$7500 for this Bee, but I might. I appreciate some of the earlier comments, sounds like there are SOME guys who know how to buy their cars... :icon_smile_wink:

In 2? 5? 10? years, this guy might get his dream price. Right now, he's in La la land...

dkn1997

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 13, 2007, 01:53:18 AM
like most long term owners hoping to pass on their legacy to their sons, they usually have an unrealistic idea of the value of the cars.  They see a couple of the barrett jackson cars sell high and instantly think the cars are likewise valued.  (after all, it only really needs a paint job-lol) ........ Don't bother waiting on the kid to sell it in 20 years, you won't be able to afford it then either.

The only way a car in that condition gets restored/saved is with an owner change.  people who alow them to get in that shape NEVER, EVER do anything with them.  If he was really serious about passing it on to his kid, this car would be at least in a garage/barn of some sort.

RECHRGED

Lord Warlock

Quotepeople who alow them to get in that shape NEVER, EVER do anything with them

Thats not exactly true, some of us just tire of working on cars for a while and put them aside to await a time when we can refocus our efforts toward it again.  My charger has sat in storage now for over 20 years without doing anything to it.  It only got started and run when I needed to move the car for some reason, sometimes it went 5 or 6 years between starts.  There were just other higher priorities in life at the time, and I have other cars to "play" with when i get the urge to turn a wrench.  However, after 20 years of dry storage, I finally started working on the charger again, and hope to have it streetable within the next 6 months.  Paint jobs on these older cars suffers with age and storage, especially as they become rolling workbenches (that flat hood is just too tempting to set things on) If the car had great paint i wouldn't set things on it anymore.  Of course in my case i had to build a new garage just to store the toy cars to keep me from storing crap on top of it. 

Anyway,  some of these cars do get put back together again, by the same owner that has let them sit for so long.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

dkn1997

Quote from: Lord Warlock on January 13, 2007, 01:27:04 PM
Quotepeople who alow them to get in that shape NEVER, EVER do anything with them

However, after 20 years of dry storage, I finally started working on the charger again, and hope to have it streetable within the next 6 months. 
Anyway,  some of these cars do get put back together again, by the same owner that has let them sit for so long.   

key word being dry.  from these pics, that bee is outside and has been for a long time.  dry climate or not, it will rain at some point in 20 years and it will get into any car and rust it.   I was not talking about people like you who get them, project or not, and put them in dry storage like you say.  it's the one's who let them stay out and rot in the first place that won't do anything with them.  I certianly did not mean that anyone who had a project car for 20 years will not get to it, although the odds go down with each passing year.

RECHRGED

Mean 318

I am one of the people who "lets" their car sit outside... I only have so much room in the garage so in the summer the ol' Coronet sits outside. I do put it inside in the winter, but when the cheepest storage here is a nonheated match box that runs you $80 a month... I am fixing it, and once I start doing body work I will find somewhere to put it! I try to get it somewhere safe when it storms, but I cant allways be that lucky! Last summer a rain storm got me.

dkn1997

Quote from: Mean 318 on January 13, 2007, 05:00:31 PM
I am one of the people who "lets" their car sit outside... I only have so much room in the garage so in the summer the ol' Coronet sits outside. I do put it inside in the winter, but when the cheepest storage here is a nonheated match box that runs you $80 a month... I am fixing it, and once I start doing body work I will find somewhere to put it! I try to get it somewhere safe when it storms, but I cant allways be that lucky! Last summer a rain storm got me.

boy, I feel like I am speaking chinese here!!   ;D ;D  your car sits outside with a coat of paint, gets cleaned, and I would hope that the windows/doors seal pretty good. My comments are directed at that 'I'm gonna fix 'er up someday" crowd who use muscle cars as rotting yard art....the ones who let them decay in the yard while grass grows up around them and refuse legitimate offers to sell. 

there is a world of difference between the guy with the bee and you or the other guy who has his project stored until he can get to it.  my point is that once someone makes that decision to relegate  the old beast to the back yard,  lets the grass grow, uses no cover or a cruddy cover, that same someone is not likely the one who resurrects it.  how many more stories do you have here from our members here that end up with "and he won't sell, he's gonna fix er up"  you can usually spot these cars because they are surrounded by garbage, derelict buildings, old consruction equipment or my favorite: the remains of a pop up camper from the 70's.

it must be a law that every rotting muscle car in someones yard has to be within 30' of one of these!!

it's frustrating knowing that there are still some saveable cars out there and there good homes for them, but some people have a mental condition that allows them to delude themselves that they will get to it "some day"
RECHRGED

Lord Warlock

dry storage in florida is relative.  There is always humidity to worry about, even if its in a garage or under a cover.  I'll concede your point though.  A majority of those owners with a car rotting in the yard will never fix it, mainly because once they do get around to starting on it, they'll find out exactly how expensive it is to replace a floor or trunk, or reweld a new top on that has long since rusted out from sitting outside.  My car spent 10 years in a portable garage structure; aluminum framing and a plastic/tarp type cover over the frame.  Kept the rain off, but let the rats in which was probably worse than the rain...still reeks of rat even after gutting the interior and pressure washing the floor inside.  Its my guess there is still a remnant of a nest inside the AC ducts inside the car, or in the heater box.  And that won't be removed/restored until the rest of the car is done...so i'll just have to live with the odor.  At least its not overwhelming now after being in a garage with the windows open for 5 or more years. 

I've run across several of the delapidated yard ornament cars that i've tried to buy from the owner, one was a superbird which the owner never returned from vietnam.  He'd chase you off the property with a shotgun.  I just don't understand why they prefer to see the car disintegrate year after year, and remind them of the loss rather than sell it and see it returned to glory.  Most buyers would be happy to send some pictures after its rebuild.  Its a shame to know where a real six pack car is and watch it go bad.  I do know that some owners won't consider selling their car to a youngster, even if the kid is rich.  They may change their mind if confronted by someone close to the same age as they are (like your dad), i'm not above trying to get my dad involved in a purchase if I think it will make a difference.  (and I'm 45)

Lord Warlock

lumpy

You guys are Mopar guys right? Some of you are sounding like you would rather have a Chevy than a true '70 v code Super Bee, even though the styling is a bit strange, it is still a Mopar Muscle Car!!! By the way I have a special place in my heart for '61 Plymouths and '69-71 Furies. I understand that the car is probably not worth what I was thinking, maybe I have spent too much time looking at overpriced cars on Ebay!!! But to say that a numbers matching, original and complete V code 4spd dana car is just blah, blah blah?? I have sold a few parts and owned a few cars and just because you personally would only give 5-7k for the car does not mean that is all that it is worth. IMO it would still be a nice car to have.

dkn1997

I think the general vibe in this thread is that anyone would love to have the car, but that it's not worth 25k as a project.
RECHRGED