News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel well trim or not?

Started by axlerod, January 11, 2007, 09:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axlerod

First of all, was wheel well trim a standard item on all second gen Chargers? I've seen quite a few Chargers on this forum that don't have them. I'm wondering if some guys/gals are taking them off because they like the clean look better?

Brock Samson

yes it came on them all but most got dented up long ago...
took me about five years to find mine but really gave my ride a finished look...

mikepmcs

I put them on mine after I got it.  Thanks to a member on this site(darkside I think, or maybe darkness, i get those 2 mixed up)

Looks way better, for my application anyways.

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger1973

I have seen some with and some without, I like both depending on the car.  The only thing that bugs me is when people take it off but leave the screw holes in the wheel openings.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

axlerod

So it sounds like if a car doesn't have them that they were taken off because of damage or because the owner liked it better without them. I personally like it both ways (not on the same car of course) depending on the how the rest of the car is setup.

bull

I don't know about 1st and 3rd gen Charger wheel trim but as far as 2nd gens go it did not come standard on the base model '70, however it was standard on the '70 500 and R/T. And as far as I know all '68s and '69s got it.

Without a doubt, I think they look much better with the wheel trim. I added it to my base model '70 way back in the mid '80s and it really finished it off. You can always get new repop wheel trim from Year One or Ebay.

Ghoste

Yes, it was standard on the 1st gens.  So was rocker trim.

THE CHARGER PUNK

my buddys 3x black 70 r/t 6-pack 4-spd car didnt come with wheel well trim, it was deleted when ordered new-MATT

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bull on January 11, 2007, 11:53:44 PM
I don't know about 1st and 3rd gen Charger wheel trim but as far as 2nd gens go it did not come standard on the base model '70, however it was standard on the '70 500 and R/T. And as far as I know all '68s and '69s got it.

Without a doubt, I think they look much better with the wheel trim. I added it to my base model '70 way back in the mid '80s and it really finished it off. You can always get new repop wheel trim from Year One or Ebay.
:iagree:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

In 1970, the wheel lip mouldings were only standard on the 500 model.

I believe the only two things that were on every Charger from 68-70, were body belt mouldings(M31) and drip rail mouldings(M21).

Shakey

Quote from: Chris G. on January 12, 2007, 07:05:20 AM

I believe the only two things that were on every Charger from 68-70, were body belt mouldings(M31) and drip rail mouldings(M21).

Don't forget that every Charger from '68 - '70 also came with brake pedals!   :wave:

bill440rt

Quote from: Chris G. on January 12, 2007, 07:05:20 AM

Chris G. is right here. Wheel lip mouldings were optional on R/T's. My '70 R/T did not have them originally, I added them because Chargers just look "naked" without them. They really finish off the car.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brock Samson

i dunno, when i had mine all black and ran the blacked out grill and semi-gloss rear facia it's looked pretty badass without the trim,..

i'll post a pic later..

ok.. it's later..

Brock Samson

i got a better pic somewhere... i'll try and find it...

RTPTRON

I don't know about other model years but the 68 fender tag has a code position for the wheel lip trim.

If you have an "8" under the 7 on the second roll from the bottom you have the option.

Mine is the only one I have ever seen without the code.  My car had the trim but it must have been added at some point.  I left it off after my car was painted in 2005.  Here is a before and after shot.

Charger1973

Quote from: RTPTRON on January 14, 2007, 02:12:48 PM
I don't know about other model years but the 68 fender tag has a code position for the wheel lip trim.

If you have an "8" under the 7 on the second roll from the bottom you have the option.

Mine is the only one I have ever seen without the code.  My car had the trim but it must have been added at some point.  I left it off after my car was painted in 2005.  Here is a before and after shot.

I like the looks of your car without it