News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Rat Roaster intake manifold ?

Started by chargerbr549, September 11, 2007, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerbr549

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that he heard they were reproducing the Rat Roaster Intake for 440's so I did some searching here and on ebay and some other places and I didn't find anything, has anybody heard if they are available?

Kevin

firefighter3931

Kevin are you talking about a crossram ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

chargerbr549

No not the crossram style like the max wedges had  in the early to mid 60's, but I think it was edelbrock who made them probably back in the 70's, a friend of mine had one on his 69 Road Runner with a 440 he used to race years ago, I know they also made them for hemi's at one time. They are a big bath tub style with a top plate that is removable and you could have single or dual quads.

Kevin

firefighter3931

You must be thinking of the Edelbrock STR (street tunnel ram) manifolds which came with different tops...single 4bbl, crossram and i believe a 6-pack lid. The str14 was the RB version and the str15 was the b version. Those are no longer being made as you probably know.

A&A is repro ing the crossrams for RB engines in both the std port and max wedge port.

Indy makes a bathtub style intake which is probably what your buddy is referring to. The intake looks like an inline dual 4 bbl setup but the carbs are offset ever so slightly so that it's legal for NSS racing....at least that's my understanding.  :shruggy: The Indy piece has a removable top and is a Max Wedge intake port design....won't work with a std size 440 port. The Edelbrock RPM's can be opened up to port match this manifold but a stock head cannot.

Hope this helps.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

The "Rat Roaster" was the name given to this particular intake manifold I believe. It was an intake put on the 426 Hemi to make it legal for NASCAR.

Below is the Edelbrock "Rat Roaster 2" intake for the 426 Hemi

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

chargerbr549

Hey guys thanks for the info, the letters STR was kind of in the back of my mind when I was thinking of that manifold but I wasn't sure and like you said Ron they are no longer available. With some direction I did a bunch of searching and found a lot of info on these cross ram style manifolds and availability from Indy and A&A trans, of coarse alot of greenbacks and they can be had.

Kevin