News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DOES ANYONE KNOW : WHAT AN ORIG DAYTONA WING WEIGHS ?

Started by daytonalo, January 22, 2007, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Here's Gene's website:  http://www.alhambracustomservice.bravehost.com/index.html 

His phone number is on his site, His Daughter does all the computer stuff for him-he never touches a computer. The only way to contact Gene is to call him or catch him at the shop...  Give him a call and see if he still makes the wings ;)

I've got one of Janak's Steel/aluminum reinforced Fiberglass wings. I'm very pleased with it...it's very well built.

hotrod98

Quote from: daytonalo on January 24, 2007, 05:55:44 PM
Your z-braces , do they have the Popsicle depression and bet 90 degrees for strength and attaching point for latch tray ?

At this point they don't have the depressions. We're going to test a fixture out that may allow us to add the depression. They will have the 90 degree lip all of the way around. I'll take some pics next week when they're ready.
As for the other question about the trunk hinges, the shop that tried to make them last week couldn't go past 90 degrees on the main bend without kinking the tubing slightly. This new guy says his bender won't do that. I need to pick up the blueprints from the first guy and take them to the new guy.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

A383Wing

Quote from: daytonalo on January 24, 2007, 06:12:47 PM
As far as I know , NOBODY has a hollow alum wing , if he does I will buy 2 of them right now. What are you using ? fiberglass or solid alum

Guess I'm confused...I have one of the original Nascar wings (all 3 pieces), if you look up the vertical uprights from the bottom, mine are hollow and the cable is still in there, then it crosses across the top part, and down the other side. So what is the true definition of "hollow"??

Bryan

nascarxx29

I had inspected a nascar wing this guy Alex in Ohio had .I recall seeing round casted dots with 4 smaller dots on the uprights.Not like anything I had seen on a street wing
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

daytonalo

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on January 24, 2007, 02:38:30 PM
Tom ,I don't know what level you are on when it comes to paying a tool and die maker as well as foundry costs are involved , do you know ?The reason Dane sells his wings for 800  is  they are straight up sand cast , and weigh a ton , I have a solid wing that Rene [big block sam ] lent me and just positioning it on the top of my qtr panel started do depress the top of my qtr . I did a great deal of research  on the daytona wing , let me spell it out for you , do you know what a real wing cost ? 4500 and up , do you know what the tooling cost would be ? do you ?I do , 25000.00 , to do a hollow wing , hollow cast in alum . That's just for tooling , no part . The sheetmetal wings on the market are 3k , and they are probably ok , but who wouldn't take an alum wing that weighs what and orig daytona wing weighs . Trust me , I bought a solid wing from dane , hes a great guy , and basically had them sand cast and just sold as is casting , many hours of grinding and filling have yet to be done . my product is not for everyone , only the guy who wants an , dimensionally correect , correct weighing, hollow alum wing that just needs paint , need to reply . Trust me I'm not getting rich on this like you think ! I do this for the love of these cars . One more thing , I just weighed a solid wing , 90 lbs total , Mine will come in around 50 llbs . If you think you can do a hollow alum wing cheaper , I will step aside and you can write the check to the tool and die maker !

I hope you are able to do this. I think it is great for the hobby. We need a variety of options for all levels of restoration. I talked to the foundry that I go to and they can do the uprights as a hollow casting but once I found out the cost - I passed, so I hope you can do it. Also the horizontal being extruded makes it even more difficult and expensive but once done they can spit them out like crazy. God's speed. Keep up the good work.

The Original is 55 pounds. My wing is 85-88, or as I say, 30 pounds more, or the equivalent of just under 4 gallons of gas. The wing bracing neutralizes the weight and there is no weight bearing on the quarters for it is transferred to the trunk if the wing bracing is installed and adjusted so. The wing in 70 was an option that could be dealer installed and came with just wing washers and no trunk bracing. Here is a pic of a 70 Charger that we had with a dealer installed factory Daytona wing with no trunk bracing. Worked fine for 20 years.

The reason why I think people have found some stock car solid wings is because they made their own solid ones when they needed more wings after wrecks. The 30 pound difference was meaningless when it came to 300+ pound down force that they where looking for.

daytonalo

Welcome back from your retirement ! Your wing , was it straight up sand cast or did you have a plastic pattern made and they used the plastic part as a mold ? Since tooling up for an hollow cast in cost prohibitive , I have a different approach , my wing when done will  be solid in the area of the upright foot , but will be hollow , yet all alum and weigh what an orig weighs . Rene lent me a wing that was purchased from Oscar , this wing is very smooth and needs very little work to make perfect , once I make it perfect a pattern maker will make pattern out of plastic , then we use that for our form . The foundry assures me that the part will look as good as the mold, of course there is 5/32 shrinkage that is on par with any cast part .You sold me a wing , I just placed  one upright on my qtr and I watched the qtr deflect down , yea I guess it would be OK with steel wing washer and brace but , if I can make a alum wing that weighs what an orig does it would be a good thing ! Are you still making solid wings , if so was there a price increase ?Larry

Daytona Guy

Straight up sand cast of an original. I have not talked to them in a year, so I do not know. Someone local wants me to make him one really bad so I might do another run.

How are you going to do the horizontal? They were an extruded piece so that it could be hollow, lightweight and strong at the same time. A cast hollow horizontal may be iffy and I would not let anyone stand in the middle of them like they do the original extruded wings. Thinner cast aluminum (horizontal) are prone to crack when jarred. If you do not hollow the horizontal, that only leaves you with 55 - 30 = 25 / 2 = 12.5 pounds per upright. Not much wiggle room. The extruded horizontal is where they gained weight loss and strength. That is where I found my road block and let it go. When I looked into hollowing out an upright we could only get it down by 8 pounds because we needed the strength up top and bellow (they become solid about 6 inches from the top turn). I hope you have more success. It looks like you are more determined than I was. Keep it up man.

The pattern you described is common, and once the pattern is made the price is inexpensive to make. It is the tooling up of the pattern (plastic) that is the expense. I love the idea and you should be able to out sell any other wing out there.

daytonalo

It would as strong as orig , it will be as strong as orig for sure . If you go to the photo of the guy hemi tyme in mopar style , you will see him sitting on a orig superbird wing , look real close and you will see the horz deflecting a great deal , and that is orig . I will never see the point of sitting or standing on a wing , why do people do this , its loading up the qtrs trunk floor and pivot bolt , I work too hard to complete my cars , and refuse to do some kind of circus act to it or on it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on January 25, 2007, 01:28:07 PM
It would as strong as orig , it will be as strong as orig for sure . If you go to the photo of the guy hemi tyme in mopar style , you will see him sitting on a orig superbird wing , look real close and you will see the horz deflecting a great deal , and that is orig . I will never see the point of sitting or standing on a wing , why do people do this , its loading up the qtrs trunk floor and pivot bolt , I work too hard to complete my cars , and refuse to do some kind of circus act to it or on it !!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you making the horizontal? Will it be hollow? There is not much space to hollow because it is so thin. I know the originals can be sat on, they better, they should hold over 300 pounds (that is their purpose). I sit on mine even with no bracing (I have then in now).

daytonalo

Dane , thats what they are designed for , to hold 300lbs , or are you trying to say they create 300lbs of down force at 7
175 mph ? If you look at from a scientific view , and after all that is how anything is created , at speed the shape of the airfoil itself transfers a certain # of pounds . I can say for certain that an engineer didn't come up with this final design by expermenting how much the cross brace will hold . The wing design itself inherently creates downforce only at high end speeds that 99.9 % people will never experience [150+ ] My wing will look a little different inside the foot area, outside it will be identical to orig , Simply put this is an alternative for the guy who thinks sheetmetal are the only way to go .Some people are happy with non operating headlights as orig or not putting a plug on their car , thats not me , I want a daytona that is as close to the way it came , and doing it on a budjet !

Daytona Guy

Quote from: daytonalo on January 25, 2007, 02:56:14 PM
Dane , thats what they are designed for , to hold 300lbs , or are you trying to say they create 300lbs of down force at 7
175 mph ? If you look at from a scientific view , and after all that is how anything is created , at speed the shape of the airfoil itself transfers a certain # of pounds . I can say for certain that an engineer didn't come up with this final design by expermenting how much the cross brace will hold . The wing design itself inherently creates downforce only at high end speeds that 99.9 % people will never experience [150+ ] My wing will look a little different inside the foot area, outside it will be identical to orig , Simply put this is an alternative for the guy who thinks sheetmetal are the only way to go .Some people are happy with non operating headlights as orig or not putting a plug on their car , thats not me , I want a daytona that is as close to the way it came , and doing it on a budjet !

I hear ya, but are you hollowng out the horizantal?