News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It's been a very long time- The "Mistress" has been in storage...

Started by Afflyer, March 21, 2012, 11:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflyer

Hello guys from days long ago.
It's been at least three years since I've been on the site here and for good reason- I retired from the Air Force in 2009 after 21 years, put the famed "Hemi Orange Mistress" into long-term storage back home in Indiana, where she currently sits up on jack stands and covered, as I relocated to Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany for almost three years.

My wife has secured a new position at Peterson AFB, in Colorado Springs, Colorado, where we are in the process of building a brand new home. Until its completion in late May, my Charger awaits her emergence from her crypt of almost three years.

Here is my question and concern for the moderators and experts in this subject-

What is the best and safest way to get my Charger going again after such a long slumber of nearly three years?

My preparations for her long sleep while I moved to Germany was simply this;
1. Fill up the gas tank full and put a full container of "Stabil" gas stabilizer in it.
2. Change the oil and filter
3. Place aluminum foil over the carb intake.
4. Remove the battery.
5. Put the car up on jack stands, suspended at the frame up front and axle in the rear to keep the tires off the concrete.
6. Cover her up with a car cover.

Now my question is how to go about preparing her for waking her up and getting her out of storage, before trailering her to her new home in Colorado?

What are your thoughts and best suggestions?

It's great to be back in the fold of fanstastic Charger enthusiasts!

Rocky Mountain High!
Bradley

Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

redmist

Hmmm...  If it were me, I would:

Change oil again.
Remove distributor and use drill motor to prime oil pump.
Replace components removed.

Fire up!!!

I would also have a fire extinguisher handy just in case, but i am that sort a guy, hah
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Domino

If the gas was PRE ethanol you'll probably be fine having added the old stabil formulation.
There could still be some octane loss over time, so I'd consider an octane boost additive.

Was thinking Pre Ethanol, but ...Does Indiana change fuel seasonally, if so, was it the winter or summer blend?
Winter blend fuel had ethanol added, if that's what you filled with, you may need an enzyme to re-emulsify any separation.

Hopefully your carb gaskets don't leak from drying out, been there.

73rallye440magnum

You'll want to service the brake system... Get some new fluid in there and check everything over.
Check your fuel lines.
I wouldn't run the engine on that fuel, just my  :Twocents: though.
Change the oil.

I would think disconnecting the coil and cranking the motor over several times for about 15 seconds at a time and waiting a few minutes between intervals after you change the oil would be beneficial before you try to fire it.

Check coolant levels.
Torgue lug nuts.
Check tire air pressure.
Visually inspect wiring.

Obviously the car hasn't moved in some time, so if any of the fluids leaked you should have some pretty clear indication of what it is and where it came from.

However, unless you checked the differential and trans fluid levels before you put it into storage, it wouldn't take long or cost much to service those items and get some fresh fluid in for peace of mind.

A fire extinguisher would be an excellent precautionary measure. A fire is unlikely, but you don't want to be scrambling in the uneventful scenario that flames are present.

I'm sure you're excited to wake the car up, but this is really routine stuff and you don't want to risk damage, that would be really disheartening.

Take your time and give the entire car a once over. It's been three years. Tinker on this stuff over a weekend and you won't be second guessing yourself once it's on the road again.  :2thumbs:
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Todd Wilson

Put a battery in it and fire it up!  Change all the fluids after its been running.   I'd watch the brakes really good for a while. Bad hoses or wheel cylinder leaks. Might even find the master cylinder is empty due to it leaking down.  I probably wouldnt trust the tires even though they have been up on stands. After its all running good I'd get new tires before any high speed or long distance driving.

Todd