News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

To clone or not to clone?

Started by Harlow, January 09, 2007, 11:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt green

clone it to a gtx, and always have something on the dash to cover up the vin!  let the ass pickers go nuts. now, that would be fun. tell em, you dont know what it is, and stay out of my car.
third string oil changer

dkn1997

clone it to a roadrunner.  get a six pak hood...sure it's year off, but still cool!!  or just leave it stock, either way is good.

I made my charger an r/t.  visually, I did it because the stripe looks cool.  also all of my emblems were crap and the r/t don't really cost much more, so why not?  under the hood, the reason I made the swap should be self explanatory...
RECHRGED

Harlow

Quote from: dkn1997 on January 11, 2007, 08:56:40 PM
clone it to a roadrunner.  get a six pak hood...sure it's year off, but still cool!!  or just leave it stock, either way is good.

I made my charger an r/t.  visually, I did it because the stripe looks cool.  also all of my emblems were crap and the r/t don't really cost much more, so why not?  under the hood, the reason I made the swap should be self explanatory...

Why road runner? I figured if I did do a clone it would be to a GTX because the sport satellite is basically a GTX with different emblems (same grill/trim). Although if I did a RR clone I wouldn't need to change the engine to make it "correct". I'm pretty much sure I'm going to leave it a sport satellite and make some mods and put some kind of hood one it (I'm thinkin' bulge).

dkn1997

because nothing says "I am open for busniness, baby!!" like steelies and a huge honkin hood scoop!!

I never liked any year gtx, too much molding, too much fluff for me.

RECHRGED

dkn1997

sure the year is wrong and someone has thrown weld draglites on it, but you get the idea
RECHRGED

Harlow

That road runner looks pretty good. I can see another positive to a six pack hood. Its probably much cheaper than buying a bulge hood.

MOPARHOUND!

A guy in our car club cloned a 68 Sport Satellite to a 68 GTX and wishes he hadn't. 

The general public doesn't know what it is, "is that like a GTO"??  He says "like a Road Runner", and the majority are familiar with what a Road Runner is. 

He painted it black, tinted the windows, bolted in a 440, and put a hinged 69-1/2 Six Barrel hood on it, looks sharp.  However, he said if he had to do it over again, he would make it a Road Runner.

Myself, I would leave it a Sport Satellite.  I think they are somewhat rare to see at shows, and are refreshing to see something different.  There is a 69 Sport Satellite in the barn, 383-4v/Auto, and it will always be a Sport Satellite.

1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

Harlow

Anyone have any pictures of some sport satellites that look a little less stock. I have only seen a few that were roded up. I'd like to see some that aren't so grandma looking.

dkn1997

I would bet that about the same number of people know what a GTX is as those who know what a Satellite is.  at least with a roadrunner, they would at least know the cartoon....
RECHRGED

1972cuda

I just put the car together the way I would have done 30 years ago. If I had been around that is! :P
I found a 68 Sport Sattelite that was reasonable. Built a 440, put on a six barrel. Added a lift off hood. Changed the four speed shifter to a pistol grip. I have some decent sized tires mounted on cop car wheels mounted to 3.91 sure grip.
It makes me happy even though it is nowheres near correct or a show car.
But it is another Mopar on the road.
Just as long as the car makes the person behind the wheel happy is all that matters.

Dave22443

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

dkn1997

Quote from: 1972cuda on January 12, 2007, 09:47:38 PM
I just put the car together the way I would have done 30 years ago. If I had been around that is! :P
I found a 68 Sport Sattelite that was reasonable. Built a 440, put on a six barrel. Added a lift off hood. Changed the four speed shifter to a pistol grip. I have some decent sized tires mounted on cop car wheels mounted to 3.91 sure grip.
It makes me happy even though it is nowheres near correct or a show car.
But it is another Mopar on the road.
Just as long as the car makes the person behind the wheel happy is all that matters.

now that's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!  scaring the general public you share the road with.....I love it!!
RECHRGED

bookedbydano

Take a # matching R/T 440 restored to original specs vs. a plain charger restored with performance suspension, tires, all the goody upgrades and fitted with a 426 Hemi selling for about the same I would take the Hemi clone hands down.  The driveability is so much better and most people non moparist couldn't care less if the # match or not.  I know the overall worth is not supposed to be as good but what I have seen in the markets is people want the horsepower, handling and modern tech  in a Muscle car.  IF someone thinks that their car is better because of some vin # well then thats a shame.  Build the car that you dream of.....you only live once, don't let vin# and fender tags curb you decision on what to do with a car.  Don't let value vs. hurting value make your decision.  Can't take it when you die......