News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So I just spent 5 hours on a wheel.

Started by terrible one, January 07, 2007, 04:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Not too long ago I got ahold of some 15x8.5" slotted mags from Larry (hotrod98). After a bit of cleanup, I noticed where someone had taken a grinder to one of them. Anyways, I decided to "repair" that area as best I could and then start polishing. I've only done one wheel but it looks pretty good so far. I think I'll try and get the other to match and then polish them both up another time for a real nice shine. I don't know if I'll be using these yet as I'm looking for some 15x10's, but if I do I guess they'll work!

Before:

Grinder damage:

Same spot after sanding with 220, then 400, then 600 grit sandpaper: It looks like I left random scratches but they are really deep.

After one round of polishing:

Charger1973

Looking alot better! 

I know how you feel too, I just spent about 5 hours carefully cutting rusty bumper bolts off some bumpers for my 73.

terrible one

Alright, now both are polished. They could be better but I think I'm done, at least until I figure out if I'm going to use these for sure or not.

Mean 318

I know I had the same amount of time into each of my rims too! Here are some pics. I did them a little over a year ago and they have held up great! I also have done a lot of gravel roads with them.  I traded an old 1969 Dodge Super Bee hubcap for a set of Keystone Klassics, then I traded those for a set of "Magnum 500" Road Wheels. I stripped them with Aircraft Remover, primed them, painted them, and found some awesome 1970s center caps on Ebay. Here are some pics. BTW I love the slots! They look GREAT! :thumbs:

terrible one

Those look great man! Very good job. Haha it's amazing how much time it takes to get old wheels up to par.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Shakey

Terrible One - well done on the wheels!

It's amazing how quickly times flies by when you're working away on something that shows your progress almost immediately.  I find it difficult to stop.  Obviously by looking at the photos you posted, your work has paid off.   :thumbs:

terrible one

Quote from: Shakey on January 08, 2007, 07:56:22 AM
Terrible One - well done on the wheels!

It's amazing how quickly times flies by when you're working away on something that shows your progress almost immediately.  I find it difficult to stop.  Obviously by looking at the photos you posted, your work has paid off.   :thumbs:

Thanks man. I definitely have to agree with you. I was seeing progress on the wheels as I worked and it really motivated me to keep going. Just a small piece of my huge Charger puzzle...

Shakey

70charger_boy

You know, Terrible One, for a young kid you sure do great work!!!!!!!!  :METAL:

resq302

Its a labor of love.  I am doing the same thing right now with my 1969 specific trim rings for the Magnum 500 rims.  Since no one repros correct ones, I chose to try and repair the dents and curb rash myself.  The more I do, the better they look, the more I want to work on them.  Sadly, with the baby and my wife, I have limited time to work on them so any time I have to get my hands on them is well worth it as it is really relaxing for me.  Scary I know but relaxing none the less.

Also, just think of the money that you saved by being able to do it yourself.  Plus the piece of mind that if you should show the car and someone asks who did the work, you can proudly say..... I DID IT!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

terrible one

You're right man. I love being able to tell people I'm the one who did so and so on my cars.

Anyone want some 14x7 and 14x10 unilug slots?

daytonalo

Steve P.

There is a place out at the FLYING J chicken Coop that polishes big truck wheels. I understand they do a damn good job and are not thief's.  I have a set of mid 60's aluminum wheels I want them to do.. If I had to do it myself I would chuck them up in a lathe and let it do all that elbow busting work...  haha...
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

dodgeterm

finally a group that appreciates slots....

slots are the best. 

especially ESPECIALLY a matching set...  (hard to find these days....)

Brock Samson

Slots are cool but are more '70s then '60s imo...
i spent five hours per wheel when i spruced mine up too back inthe '80s..
i recenty dug them out to install on the road runner.  i just sprayed them with simple green and used the kitchen pad  on them...
.... about five times... so i got another hour in them making it a total of six hours per wheel now... lol...
are they being rebopped yet?..

terrible one

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 07, 2007, 11:45:21 AM
  Slots are cool but are more '70s then '60s imo...
i spent five hours per wheel when i spruced mine up too back inthe '80s..
i recenty dug them out to install on the road runner.  i just sprayed them with simple green and used the kitchen pad  on them...
.... about five times... so i got another hour in them making it a total of six hours per wheel now... lol...
are they being rebopped yet?..

Yeah, American Racing is reproducing the Ansen Sprints. (BTW, long time no talk Dave!)

Brock Samson

when i cruised around in the runner last week some older dude flipped out on the slots on the runner,..  didn't say one word about the cherry all original gold Plymouth 340 but was foaming at the mouth about my "genuwine old school slots" ...
i thought it was pretty funny...

plum500

CB

woohoo, the slot family :)

Bought mine on Ebay, around $400

nice job terrible one !
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

K9COP

Terrible one, you selling a set then?

Paul
I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

terrible one

Quote from: CaymanSublime on March 09, 2007, 11:19:49 PM
Terrible one, you selling a set then?

Paul

Yeah, I have 2 14x7's and 2 14x10's for sale if anyone is interested.

K9COP

I'd rather push a Charger than drive a Mustang.. which is lucky..

My cars:
'69/70 Charger 440
'03 Range Rover
'05 Audi A8R
'93 Lotus Omega (SOLD)
'97 Jag U Are XK8 (For Sale)
'68 Charger 318 (for sale)
'74ish Charger 400Magnum (sold)
'89 Nissan Skyline GTR (sold)
'92 Jeep Cherokee 9" lift (sold)
95 Crown Victoria Police K9 unit work car! (in the great impound lot in the sky..)

terrible one

$50 for the 14x7's, and $60 for the 14x10's. They will be polished up though.